Dodge Challenger Forum banner

2015 Challenger SRT - daily driver and 20,000 miles later

22K views 63 replies 25 participants last post by  praiseV8 
#1 ·
This forum was a great resource to me when I bought my car. I thought I would give back by providing my ownership impressions after 15 months. I daily drive my car and have over 32,000 KMs (20,000 mi) and have now driven the car through two Canadian winters.

This is my first muscle car as I mostly owned imports and german cars. I have a 2015 SRT with the 6 speed manual and I absolutely love it. I feel like I'm 14 years old every time I drive it. Of course the power is awesome but my favourite part of the car is the sound. Especially at 5,000 RPM. It is so sweet. A close second for sound is cold starts. Especially here in Canada, on a cold morning, the sound is absolutely evil. The crack of the exhaust is loud enough to wake the dead.

I considered a Camaro and Mustang as well before my purchase but this car is a way better fit for me as this was my daily driver. Both those other cars literally have no back seat. My car can fit an adult comfortably in the back seat with no problems. As well, both those cars (at the time I was buying), the interiors and features were a lower grade compared to the Challenger. Finally, although those cars may handle better, I came to the conclusion that for a majority of the time, you are driving straight!!

Some common questions you may have:

How is the gas mileage for a daily driver? It's bad. 13.9 l/100Km (17 mpg) but I'm actually spending less on gas compared to my previous car. My previous Audi S4 needed premium gas and with this car, I use regular so at the end of the day, it cost me less.

How is the manual car in traffic? It's fine. I've sat in Toronto traffic and it didn't bother me. The clutch is not that heavy. The fun factor that I gain by having a manual far outweighs any of the negatives.

How is the car to drive in the winter? I'm in my late 40's and in my generation, we all grew up driving rear wheel cars in the winter (and with no snow tires!) and we all managed to do fine. So it's interesting when people ask me this question today. Obviously you can't drive this car like a 4WD car but you can certainly manage. We'e had days here where the snow was at least an inch and the car was able to get through it. I find starting the car in 2nd gear helps a lot as it reduces the wheel spin. For the number of days where it gets bad enough for a snow day versus the rest of the years where it is fine, again the trade off for me was well worth it.

Have you had any problems with the car? Not really. I've had two issues covered by warranty.
#1 - I had a clicking noise coming from the shifter. The dealer replaced the shifter mechanism and retaining pins which hold the shifter rods. That fixed the issue.
#2 - I've also had an issue with the Uconnect screen in cold weather. The screen would be blank and would not work until it got warmer. When this started to happen, it would only take about 5 seconds for the screen to work again but then it got progressively worse when it would take about 30 mins to warm up enough to work again. The dealer replaced the whole unit and now it's fine.

Other observations:

The trunk can decapitate you. Not sure if other owners of have experienced this but I remember the first time when the drunk came down on my head, I've never made that mistake again. If there is a breeze or any type of snow/ice on your truck, be careful!!! The trunk is heavy enough that it will hurt if it comes down on you.

More boys stop and stare at this car than any other. It's amazing how this car captures the attention of boys 10 and under. I do my duty to live up to their expectations by turning up the volume on the exhaust when I drive by(ie. rev the **** out of the car).

Non car people won't understand why you bought this car. I've tried to explain my reasons in the past but nowI give up and make a joke as to how good my car is on gas. They just won't get it.

Hopefully my comments have helped you in your car buying decision. Glad to answer any other questions you may have.

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks for sharing! These cars are awesome for sure!

I noticed you said you run regular gas in your SRT? Why is that? The 392 requires premium, at least 91 octane. The engine has 11:1 compression and mine even gets a little knock retard on the stock tune as they're tuned pretty aggressively from the factory. You're likely losing out on some performance by running the crappy gas.

I sat in a new Camaro the other day. It's a nice looking car, but man is it ever small inside! They're nice cars but I'd take my Challenger over it every time.

#3 ·
I agree, the owners manual states you must use premium. The difference per tank full is only a few $.

#4 ·
Also - if you run Premium as your engine requires, your mileage may likely increase.

With regular, yours is probably pulling timing which both reduces peak output and mileage. This is done to protect the internals from spark knock / detonation which can cause internal damage long term or under high demand conditions.

#10 ·
This is worth repeating OP.... You can get 20 out of her and still have fun!

good read OP...

#8 ·
How is the car to drive in the winter? I'm in my late 40's and in my generation, we all grew up driving rear wheel cars in the winter (and with no snow tires!) and we all managed to do fine. So it's interesting when people ask me this question today. Obviously you can't drive this car like a 4WD car but you can certainly manage. We had days here where the snow was at least an inch and the car was able to get through it. I find starting the car in 2nd gear helps a lot as it reduces the wheel spin. For the number of days where it gets bad enough for a snow day versus the rest of the years where it is fine, again the trade off for me was well worth it.
Good review.

What size/type of tires are you running in the winter? All-seasons?

#9 ·
Good review.

Ive got the same car with 23k miles on it. (I use premium gas and dont run a catch can)

Cant say ive had any issues with the trunk coming down on me.

I Live in NYC and use the car year round on the weekends and for road trips. The car gets alot of looks (mines silver with black stripes) and thumbs up. Many European tourists ask about it.

Also driven in some light snow at times (New Years in Saratoga Springs) and didnt have any issues.

It been a great car. Ive maintained well and its treated me right.

No complaints.

#11 ·
Good review.
Can't say I've had any issues with the trunk coming down on me.
If the temperatures are cold (like Canada can get) the gas in the assist struts won't hold the trunk up as readily - you'd have to push it up to make sure its all the way up. That gas expands and contracts with temperature in those struts.

On a cold day, the the trunk will drop and close much more readily than on a warmer one...

#12 ·
I've owned my scat pack for almost 2 years now, and I've had zero problems. The only "issue" I had was the defective radiator I had replaced under warranty at 10k miles, but I didnt mind taking him into the shop for a couple days since I dont like driving big green every day like I have to. Plus I was able to get a nice Ram 1500 loaner vehicle while he was being fixed.

The stereotype that American cars arent built well or arent reliable definitely doesnt apply to Challengers.

#14 ·
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

Regarding premium gas, I will certainly give that a try. To be honest, don't really need more power but if it extends the engine life or provides better gas mileage, then I'll give it a shot.

I'm running the stock size 275/40/20's as my winter tires. I know it's not going to yield the best traction in the snow but who gives a ****. It looks a lot better.

I've not noticed the trunk worse in the winter vs summer. I'll need to take note and see if it's related to temperatures. Either way, it scares me to death every time I have to reach into the trunk to get something.

#15 ·
there's a post here of an owner in UAE that had two different instances of damaged pistons (on one bank) - turned out this owner was running regular grade in his 6.4/392 and presumably running it hard...detonation / hot spots cause ring land failures.

The owners states for 6.4L engine: The use of 91 [R+M/2 method] or higher octane "Premium" is required for in this engine. Use of gasoline with a lower than recommended octane number can cause engine failure and may void or not be covered by the New Vehicle Warranty...

#16 ·
Welcome to the forum from NC! In my 5.7 R/T it actually calls for what 89 I believe? But I run premium because I am running a tuner. 11:1 compression is no joke and the higher octane requirements for that motor are no joke. We are not trying to give u a hard time, just want to see you enjoy your Challenger for many more years to come! Again, welcome!

#17 ·
Glad to hear the Challenger is treating you well.

Do you have Laguna leather interior? If so, I was wondering how it is holding up.
I have heard of some issues w/sagging, loose fit and possible bolster problems.

I agree on the high octane fuel, and am a BIG believer in snow tires for a winter ride. Huge difference in braking and control w/ decent sow tires.:bigthumb:

#21 · (Edited)
Ive got the Laguna Leather. Mine still looks great..getting a little wear on the left side of the drivers seat as I usually sit in the car sideways and then pull my feet in as opposed to just stepping right into the car and its wrinkled the leather a bit on both the seat back and bottom on the left side of the seat. Not too bad though.

I also have a slight squeak/creak in the drivers seat sometimes. I think it comes from the base of the seat and only noticed it 2x recently but it doesnt seem to do it all the time.

I think my average fuel mileage is about 20 mpg in 23k miles.

#20 ·
I have a '16 SPS M6 - average ~ 16 - 16.5 mpg and most of my driving is mixed. About 70% in town / 30% hwy

On freeway drive avg is 22 - 25, depending on conditions.

#29 ·
I drain my catch can every 6 mos (my oil change interval) and it's always 3/4 full. Glad that oil is not in my intake!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

#33 ·
I've changed my oil every 3000 miles. Currently just below 20,000 miles.
Each time I do, I drain the catch can.
I cut the bottom off an empty oil quart container, to slide it under the CC.
Every single time I am STUNNED how much oil comes out!
It drains and fills to approximately an inch of that container.
I am very glad none of that is being burned up in my cylinders.
JMO and experience, YMMV.

#45 ·
You change your oil and empty yiur catch can for one primary reason, and that is because it prolongs the life of the car! If you care at all about it, you do whatever's necessary to keep it operating at its highest efficiency. Is that a foreign concept to today's owner of anything mechanical????

#55 ·
Back on topic..........

I usually keep my SRT in ECO mode. I've actually seen better gas mileage and it's a little more docile and easier to handle in the city for my taste.

In 10,000 miles of daily driving, no problems at all so far. Very happy with the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.