2015 Challenger SRT - daily driver and 20,000 miles later - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
2015 Challenger SRT - daily driver and 20,000 miles later

This forum was a great resource to me when I bought my car. I thought I would give back by providing my ownership impressions after 15 months. I daily drive my car and have over 32,000 KMs (20,000 mi) and have now driven the car through two Canadian winters.

This is my first muscle car as I mostly owned imports and german cars. I have a 2015 SRT with the 6 speed manual and I absolutely love it. I feel like I'm 14 years old every time I drive it. Of course the power is awesome but my favourite part of the car is the sound. Especially at 5,000 RPM. It is so sweet. A close second for sound is cold starts. Especially here in Canada, on a cold morning, the sound is absolutely evil. The crack of the exhaust is loud enough to wake the dead.

I considered a Camaro and Mustang as well before my purchase but this car is a way better fit for me as this was my daily driver. Both those other cars literally have no back seat. My car can fit an adult comfortably in the back seat with no problems. As well, both those cars (at the time I was buying), the interiors and features were a lower grade compared to the Challenger. Finally, although those cars may handle better, I came to the conclusion that for a majority of the time, you are driving straight!!

Some common questions you may have:

How is the gas mileage for a daily driver? It's bad. 13.9 l/100Km (17 mpg) but I'm actually spending less on gas compared to my previous car. My previous Audi S4 needed premium gas and with this car, I use regular so at the end of the day, it cost me less.

How is the manual car in traffic? It's fine. I've sat in Toronto traffic and it didn't bother me. The clutch is not that heavy. The fun factor that I gain by having a manual far outweighs any of the negatives.

How is the car to drive in the winter? I'm in my late 40's and in my generation, we all grew up driving rear wheel cars in the winter (and with no snow tires!) and we all managed to do fine. So it's interesting when people ask me this question today. Obviously you can't drive this car like a 4WD car but you can certainly manage. We'e had days here where the snow was at least an inch and the car was able to get through it. I find starting the car in 2nd gear helps a lot as it reduces the wheel spin. For the number of days where it gets bad enough for a snow day versus the rest of the years where it is fine, again the trade off for me was well worth it.

Have you had any problems with the car? Not really. I've had two issues covered by warranty.
#1 - I had a clicking noise coming from the shifter. The dealer replaced the shifter mechanism and retaining pins which hold the shifter rods. That fixed the issue.
#2 - I've also had an issue with the Uconnect screen in cold weather. The screen would be blank and would not work until it got warmer. When this started to happen, it would only take about 5 seconds for the screen to work again but then it got progressively worse when it would take about 30 mins to warm up enough to work again. The dealer replaced the whole unit and now it's fine.

Other observations:

The trunk can decapitate you. Not sure if other owners of have experienced this but I remember the first time when the drunk came down on my head, I've never made that mistake again. If there is a breeze or any type of snow/ice on your truck, be careful!!! The trunk is heavy enough that it will hurt if it comes down on you.

More boys stop and stare at this car than any other. It's amazing how this car captures the attention of boys 10 and under. I do my duty to live up to their expectations by turning up the volume on the exhaust when I drive by(ie. rev the shit out of the car).

Non car people won't understand why you bought this car. I've tried to explain my reasons in the past but nowI give up and make a joke as to how good my car is on gas. They just won't get it.

Hopefully my comments have helped you in your car buying decision. Glad to answer any other questions you may have.

2015 SRT 392 M6 Bright White with Silver Stripes
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MMMM Fun For This Useful Post:
c26bt34c (03-01-2017), Camden Massey (03-23-2017), Donniet53 (02-27-2017), greenshaker (03-25-2017), ol fart (02-26-2017), pinefd (02-27-2017), redsrt (03-18-2017), SpeedShift (02-28-2017), zenmedic (03-23-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 09:06 AM

Thanks for sharing! These cars are awesome for sure!

I noticed you said you run regular gas in your SRT? Why is that? The 392 requires premium, at least 91 octane. The engine has 11:1 compression and mine even gets a little knock retard on the stock tune as they're tuned pretty aggressively from the factory. You're likely losing out on some performance by running the crappy gas.

I sat in a new Camaro the other day. It's a nice looking car, but man is it ever small inside! They're nice cars but I'd take my Challenger over it every time.

Carl
11.62 @ 117.12mph w/ 1.61 60ft / +750ft DA
Dragstrip videos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 02:31 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,029 Times in 712 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdahl383 View Post
Thanks for sharing! These cars are awesome for sure!

I noticed you said you run regular gas in your SRT? Why is that? The 392 requires premium, at least 91 octane. The engine has 11:1 compression and mine even gets a little knock retard on the stock tune as they're tuned pretty aggressively from the factory. You're likely losing out on some performance by running the crappy gas.

I sat in a new Camaro the other day. It's a nice looking car, but man is it ever small inside! They're nice cars but I'd take my Challenger over it every time.
I agree, the owners manual states you must use premium. The difference per tank full is only a few $.

post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,320 Times in 1,699 Posts
Garage
Also - if you run Premium as your engine requires, your mileage may likely increase.

With regular, yours is probably pulling timing which both reduces peak output and mileage. This is done to protect the internals from spark knock / detonation which can cause internal damage long term or under high demand conditions.

2016 392 Hemi Scat Pack Shaker 23Y pkg (6 speed MT) ordered 8/28/15, born 10/23/15, home 11/20/15
Torred / Black/ Ruby Red leather
2009 R/T 27J pkg (6 speed MT) ordered 7/17/08, born 10/23/08, home 11/13/08
Hemi Orange / Dark Slate/Light Slate Gray leather
-Sold 9/1/15
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 09:05 PM

You've been running 87/89 for two years?
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 09:23 PM

Also do you run a catch can??
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 10:00 PM

Thanked 4,140 Times in 2,733 Posts
If you plan on keeping your car for a while it's best to fill it up with at least 91 oct gas. There's is a reason why the manufacturer recommends putting in premium gas in these cars. Long term no good. No good.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 05:08 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,990 Times in 1,348 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMM Fun View Post
How is the car to drive in the winter? I'm in my late 40's and in my generation, we all grew up driving rear wheel cars in the winter (and with no snow tires!) and we all managed to do fine. So it's interesting when people ask me this question today. Obviously you can't drive this car like a 4WD car but you can certainly manage. We had days here where the snow was at least an inch and the car was able to get through it. I find starting the car in 2nd gear helps a lot as it reduces the wheel spin. For the number of days where it gets bad enough for a snow day versus the rest of the years where it is fine, again the trade off for me was well worth it.
Good review.

What size/type of tires are you running in the winter? All-seasons?

post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 08:16 AM

Good review.

Ive got the same car with 23k miles on it. (I use premium gas and dont run a catch can)

Cant say ive had any issues with the trunk coming down on me.

I Live in NYC and use the car year round on the weekends and for road trips. The car gets alot of looks (mines silver with black stripes) and thumbs up. Many European tourists ask about it.

Also driven in some light snow at times (New Years in Saratoga Springs) and didnt have any issues.

It been a great car. Ive maintained well and its treated me right.

No complaints.
The Following User Says Thank You to SnakeBT6 For This Useful Post:
SpeedShift (02-28-2017)
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal H View Post
Also - if you run Premium as your engine requires, your mileage may likely increase.

With regular, yours is probably pulling timing which both reduces peak output and mileage. This is done to protect the internals from spark knock / detonation which can cause internal damage long term or under high demand conditions.

This is worth repeating OP.... You can get 20 out of her and still have fun!

good read OP...

My past fun cars..

3 1965 GTO's and an 05 GTO
1 00 GTP
3 TA's 76/85/01
2 Mustangs 96 GT and 04 Mach1
3 Hemi ram trucks 03/12/14 Bighorn
5 Corvettes /07/11/ 12/13/15
TRADED
2012 Challenger SRT 6sp manual.
Traded
2013 arctic white corvette 6 speed manual.
2015 Corvette Stingray Sold 8 15 2015
Traded
2015 RT 392 Scat Pack M6 Torred. stripper.
Current
2016 R/T Scat pack 392 Shaker. Bright White SPAG M6 (1 of 306)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific > 6.4L / 392ci (2011 - ?)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode