Dodge Challenger Forum banner

2015 SRT first time at the track. I need help.

12K views 70 replies 19 participants last post by  sjmcdo3 
#1 · (Edited)
Well I changed my oil at 2000 mi last week and consider the car broken in now. The question I asked myself was what to do now? The answer came quickly. A beautiful day, a beautiful car and a beautiful track. The Big 3!!
:grin2:
I ran a bunch of runs and was as consistent as garbage. But, I know I can easily get in the 12's.
I am on all season street tires and pretty much stock.
I think with practice I can easily get in the LOW 12's.
I could not get traction!! I am going to seriously consider tires, at least summer tires.
Best run was at 1800 rpm launch easing into the gas starting in drive.
I will post some pics and time slips.
They were having problems with the printer.

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: ToasterD
#2 ·
Not bad for 1st time out. Stalling at 2000 rpm was my best run of 12.2. Burnout of 4 to 5 seconds is a must. Track mode turned on first and then turn your ESC off after so that it reads OFF in your track mode screen. Just takes practice but the automatics are definitely capable of 12-0 to 12-2 bone stock.

Reactions: Tomkat2800
#3 ·
Not bad for 1st time out. Stalling at 2000 rpm was my best run of 12.2. Burnout of 4 to 5 seconds is a must. Track mode turned on first and then turn your ESC off after so that it reads OFF in your track mode screen. Just takes practice but the automatics are definitely capable of 12-0 to 12-2 bone stock.
I totally lost it with the track off. I tried it like race 7. I thought I jumped the light, let off then hammered it. Nothing but spin. I need practice. I also had a total cluster mess when I tried launch control...lol...it didn't work! Did a 14.4 (I am not posting the flubs)..lol...there were a lot!!

:wink3:

#5 ·
I am not sure, but would like to know what the "DA was about 800 ft is?"
I am pleased with the car, heck, it pulled me, a total novice racer into the 12's. That is all the car!
I am certain that as I learn how to do this, and with wise mods, someday I wish to break thru into the 11's. To me that is a goal worthy of envy. Man I am having fun!!
:pimp:

#6 ·
DA is density altitude. The lower the density altitude (closer to sea level) the better the car's engine will perform (normally aspirated). DA is a combination of air temperature, humidity and barometric pressure, etc. Thus even if you are physically located at sea level if the temp is higher then the density altitude will be something higher then what you would expect at sea level and the car's performance will suffer. This also can give a negative DA and lead to hero run's in the 1/4 mile.

#7 ·
OK! I see! That would explain the fact that I was still tromping the competition in the other lane. There were nice cars there stangs z's older hot rods, I was tromping them all,as they had the same "Disadvantage" so to speak. Or better the same "conditions"
This car is no slouch. All the people there had to come by and check it out! lol! Nobody had the heart to tell me I needed to learn how to race!! lol!
:wink3:

#8 ·
man i was hopping that those cars will turn 115mph in a 1/4

#10 · (Edited)
Heres the DA on the 8th run at 3:02pm on 1/18/15.

temperature: 69 deg f @ 3:02 PM 1/18/15
uncorrected barometer: 29.939 Hg
humidity: 55 %
vapor pressure: 0.715 Hg
dew point: 52.148 deg f
grains: 57.9 (WATER GRAIN ARE A TAD OVER 50 BUT NOT BAD AS 0 TO 50 ARE ACCEPTABLE.)
air density: 97.068 %
density altitude: 1,015.209 ft

WATER GRAINS IS THE AMOUNT MOISTURE THAT MIXES WITH 1 LB OF AIR THAT GOES INTO THE ENGINE AND YOU CANT BURN MOISTURE SO IT RICHENS UP THE TUNE.

#13 · (Edited)
Where are you getting your data, particularly the uncorrected barometer for Orlando Dragway?

Never mind. I found it. I get:

• temperature: 70 deg f
  • uncorrected barometer: 30.020 Hg
  • humidity: 53 %
  • vapor pressure: 0.739 Hg
  • dew point: 52.070 deg f
  • grains: 57.6
  • air density: 97.153 %
  • density altitude: 985.527 ft

So pretty close to what you got: right around 1000 ft.

Mike

#11 ·
A set of dedicated wheels with shorter DRs (M&H or Hoosiers) will get you at least .3 which would of put you in the 11s with your 12.2 run.
TC off and the ability to nail it should get you sub 1.8 60' times consistently and the shorter tires will get you closer to winding up 5th in the traps.
Your MPH will always be higher when you spin. My fastest MPH (>117) were on 12.3 and 12.4 ET runs with >2.0 60' times. Neat to get the high MPH but not at the cost of losing the race...
The two pieces of low hanging fruit for the A8s are the right DRs and a tune to reduce tq mgmnt. DRs can be done now, the tune make take years. .3+ seconds for $800 bucks isn't a bad deal. No need to port the intake or a bigger TB as it won't gain you squat if you can't hook. 392s breath good enough from the factory. Use that coin to see what the optinum tire diameter and width is for the A8s. I can assure you it won't be on 20" rims. I'm just guessing but a 315ish width M&H or Hoosier) in a 18" (27.5" or 28" tall) should get you at least .3 maybe .4. Lots of 17" DR choices if the 17" wheels will clear the rear brakes.
Spring is coming as will the worse DA so the clock is runnig for the A8s to get into the 11s. You'll be .3 or .4 slower in 2K DA. The intake duct mods you have done will help you in the heat for sure. I wish I was closer to you to let you try the hoosiers. I don't know anyone with a A8 near me other than a couple of HCs and the 17" won't clear the rear brakes.
Someone should figure it out soon. Take the lack of traction out of the equation and you'll be amazed how fast the 392s are.

#14 ·
Thank you! I agree.
After a day at the races, finding that traction was my number one problem, my next mod will be tires and wheels. I have done some research on this and posts on this forum have given me some ideas. I will show the results to the guys at my shop and we will put our collective minds together and I will posts ideas on here for input.
Thanks again to you and all for the ideas!!
I was thinking of going with the summer performance pirelli's (Optional on SRT's) but, I don't think that will do the trick for drags.

#15 ·
Very nice for your first time. I have the 1/4 mile on my bucket list and I'm hoping to get it done in early spring. I will be happy if I can get 12.5. If not, then I'll just have to satisfied that I did the run. I'll try to get some practice doing 0-60 times to get my takeoffs reasonable. I think with this car, that's all there is to it. Once you get past 60 feet it's just keep her straight and let the car do the work.

#19 ·
If you plan to go to the track a dozen or so times a year, real DRs are worth every penny.
I understand the desire to get a stock A8 in the 11s but once it's done, then the next desire is a PB trophy run which will take DRs or slicks. I honestly think I would go with the slicks over DRs with an A8 as the A8 lays down so much more tq out of the hole. You might get the bracket racing bug like I did and then your tires are your best and most important friend.
Drive train is rated for the HP so to me it is a no brainer. Being an auto will save the drive train too as the TC slips some. Only disadvantage to slicks over DRs is you can't drive them to the track. It is a blast beating vetts, LS1s, stangs, GTOs and cobras with the 392 on the right DRs. If your competition has 3 peddles, street tires or 20" DRs, you'll kill them. They'll claim they missed 2nd gear so expect to hear that a lot.
No other factory car comes out of the hole like a 392.
I believe you are on target with my intent. I plan to do this monthly (as possible) Then as my friends go sometimes on Wednesday and Fridays. I am thinking good drag radials as I may not always have someone to go with me. A dedicated set of wheels and tires for drags.
I am thinking of the Nitto n555r extreme drag radials..I have seen people speak highly of them.
I will also probably put a better set of summer times on for my daily driving and the occasional hole shots. (Not my fault) (It is the punk Mustangs and rare Chevy Camaro) (They may need skoolin) lol!! I would like to try them on the track also. I don't know why the dealer just didn't order them on the car!!

#20 ·
I think you did pretty well! It takes practice to control wheel spin. Mash the throttle and more times than not those rears go up in smoke.

My Ram SRT-10 RC was the burn out king. The only way to control that monster was to slip the crap outta the clutch. If you dumped it, forget it...tires just spin and spin...and there was no traction control (ESP) or launch control on that truck -- only a Viper motor, T-56 Tremec and a S-Dana 60.

#21 · (Edited)
I had a couple of thoughts today as I considered my race day. A couple of obvious things came to mind. I decided to go racing spur of the moment as soon as I found out Sunday racing was a regular event. I had a FULL tank of gas. I am thinking a half tank or less would have been better. My trunk had lots of stuff in it. A couple cases of oil, filters, my dog park stuff, jumper cables, first aid kit etc.... Next time I will take that stuff, and all the stuff I really don't need out. I am really liking the idea of dedicated Slicks. My friend found Bravado wheels and Mickey Thompson ET street radials. Wheels 18, 10.5 x 115 mm 20mm offset. Tires 29x11.50 r 18 r-2 compound. Anybody know if this will work? And does anyone think higher octane fuel will help? I had Shell 93 octane premium in the car.

PS I posted a couple more pics from the event a fella I met there took. His colors look great!!

#22 ·
I pull everything out and only have 1/8th of a tank of gas when I hit the strip. I lock my spare, jack and wheel spacer to a telephone pole. My typical race weight is 4390 to 4410.
It makes a huge difference. Every 100 LBbs is 10 HP. If I make more passes and run low on fuel, I add a couple of gallons of 98 race gas (make sure it isn't leaded). Higher octane won't help you until you can tune and add timing.
If you want to be fast, you need to be able to stall her up to 2200 or higher and nail it and never let up. Every pass.
If you have to ***** foot around traction, you'll never be competitive or truely know what your car is capable of.
Every indication I have seen is the A8s seem to be .3 faster than the A5s. So you should be able to run a 11.5 once you can tune out the tq mgmnt, hit the track on a negative DA day and have DRs or slicks.
That will make believers out of the cobra, LSI and vett guys.

#23 ·
To your knowledge, will the hoosiers you run fit on my car? I think we have the same rear brakes??

#30 ·
Wow! It was easy getting the guys at the shop fired up!! They are coming up to me now showing me when the race days are!! lol! There are lots of race days coming! Guys are tweeking up their cars! Many will be going up to race with me!!
Things are coming along. I just bought 5 gallons of Renegade race 102 unleaded ethanol free gas and 5 gallons of Chevron 90 octane E-0 unleaded gas. I don't think I need to mix it 50/50 as octane is not my concern as much as ethanol free gas. I am still deciding on my slick or drag radials and wheels. I don't want to rush this decision as it is a chunk of cash. As street use is my primary concern, sticky street tires are a must now, and I want to see the 1/4 mile improvement, so I am making my final decision on tires that I will order within a week or two. I didn't see the Michelin Pilot super Sports in my size last search. I will check again. Can't wait until tuning is available. Got my new hobby!!
How fun is this? Watch out 11 second quarters, here I come!

#31 · (Edited)
Good morning tomcat, you did pretty good for your first time out! We had a mopar track attack at our local drag strip on the 16th to see the hellcats make some exhibition passes. A 15 SRT A8 exactly like yours showed up and the poor guy could not break into the 12's to save his life. I could tell he was very disappointed, his best time was a 13.01 @ 110, his stock Pirellis spun real bad all night. However, there was also a 15 Scatpack A8 running with 20" Nitto DR's. His first run was a 12.3 @ 113 MPH (1.8 60'), a couple hours later he made the perfect hero run at an amazing 11.85 @ 114 MPH with a short 1.6 60'. I was real impressed considering the Scatpack was all stock and only had 250 miles on it. Like others have stated you need sticky/soft tires to do well at your dragstrip, I second that motion! I also made my best pass ever that night with my SRT8 M6, matching his first pass, 12.3 @ 113 with my 17" DR's and three pedals!

Attachments

#32 ·
Good morning tomcat, you did pretty good for your first time out! We had a mopar track attack at our local drag strip on the 16th to see the hellcats make some exhibition passes. A 15 SRT A8 exactly like yours showed up and the poor guy could not break into the 12's to save his life. I could tell he was very disappointed, his best time was a 13.01 @ 110, his stock Pirellis spun real bad all night. However, there was also a 15 Scatpack A8 running with 20" Nitto DR's. His first run was a 12.3 @ 113 MPH (1.8 60"), a couple hours later he made the perfect hero run at an amazing 11.85 @ 114 MPH with a short 1.6 60". I was real impressed considering the Scatpack was all stock and only had 250 miles on it. Like others have stated you need sticky/soft tires to do well at your dragstrip, I second that motion! I also made my best pass ever that night with my SRT8 M6, matching his first pass, 12.3 @ 113 with my 17" DR's and three pedals!
12.3 @ 113 with DRs and M6.

What did you run without the DRs? I have a 2015 SRT8 M6 as well and was very curious the difference in 1/4 times between a stock A8 and a stock M6?

#34 · (Edited)
Thanks guys, my best time on the stock Goodyear F1's was 13.01 @ 109, biggest problem was the 60'. My best launches would only cut a 2.1 60', that was launching soft at @1.8K to 2.2K rpm. Other wise I would get real bad wheel spin and/or wheel hop. The DA was somewhere @ -400 to -600 that night, was damn near perfect conditions. Unfortunately, I only was only able to make one pass because the hellcat exhibition ceremony and a bracket car that hit the wall delayed the test and tune sessions. The guy with the Scatpack had to wait two hours in line before he made his second pass, I did not feel like waiting that long because I had my kids with me. I know I could have made a better pass, since I still left the line spinning at 20 psi on the DR's. I was going to make another pass at 16-17 psi and do a more aggressive burnout like he did to better my 60'. Every tenth you knock off on your 60' will get you 2 tenths of a gain in the 1/4 ET. The Scatpack knocked off 2 tenths on his 60' and gained 4.5 on his ET.

#35 ·
Thanks guys, my best time on the stock Goodyear F1's was 13.01 @ 109, biggest problem was the 60". My best launches would only cut a 2.1 60", that was launching soft at @1.8K to 2.2K rpm. Other wise I would get real bad wheel spin and/or wheel hop. The DA was somewhere @ -400 to -600 that night, was damn near perfect conditions. Unfortunately, I only was only able to make one pass because the hellcat exhibition ceremony and a bracket car that hit the wall delayed the test and tune sessions. The guy with the Scatpack had to wait two hours in line before he made his second pass, I did not feel like waiting that long because I had my kids with me. I know I could have made a better pass, since I still left the line spinning at 20 psi on the DR's. I was going to make another pass at 16-17 psi and do a more aggressive burnout like he did to better my 60". Every tenth you knock off on your 60" will get you 2 tenths of a gain in the 1/4 ET. The Scatpack knocked off 2 tenths on his 60" and gained 4.5 on his ET.
Thanks so much for the info. This is so much fun! I see you have been running before. The guys here and the guys at the shop are giving me hints and tips I never even considered. For example, a little thing like coming out of the water and the staying too far to the side of the lane where the track wasn't prepped. When staged I was going too deep, I even jumped the light. One of the guys here goes on wednesday nights and is a long time racer and is going to introduce me to the owner of the track and give me tips! I guess the time is just right for me to pick up this fun new hobbie. I just wish there were some Mopar motor heads I could pal around with and race with. Maybe with these new Mopars, some will come around!
Have a great day!

#41 · (Edited)
2015 SRT 2nd time at the track

Well, I was a bit more consistent, and did manage to hit low 12's this time. I lightened the load.. (Took junk out of the trunk and had about a quarter of a tank of gas.) I found I had more trouble getting those stock all season tires to grab. Dropped the pressure to 28 psi. Spin and hop everywhere. When I really eased into the gas.... that was my best run. Time for tires.
I got tromped by a Roush Mustang, but, to my surprised I beat a Camaro ZL1. (Supercharged, both of them)
The way I figure it the DA was a bit high.
Density Altitude: 865 feet
Relative Density: 97.49 %
Here are the results.
Man, if only I could get the hang of this, I know this thing will kiss 11's

Attachments

Reactions: ToasterD
#42 ·
Well, I was a bit more consistent, and did manage to hit low 12's this time. I lightened the load.. (Took junk out of the trunk and had about a quarter of a tank of gas.) I found I had more trouble getting those stock all season tires to grab. Dropped the pressure to 28 psi. Spin and hop everywhere. When I really eased into the gas.... that was my best run. Time for tires.
I got tromped by a Roush Mustang, but, to my surprised I beat a Camaro ZL1. (Supercharged, both of them)
The way I figure it the DA was a bit high.
Density Altitude: 865 feet
Relative Density: 97.49 %
Here are the results.
Man, if only I could get the hang of this, I know this thing will kiss 11's

are you use 93 octane gas?

#48 ·
I would stick with E-10 93 octane.

#49 ·
Yes. I'm sure the target A/F's are calculated using the predominantly available fuel, E10 in these Speed Density EFI cars. So, running pure gasoline may make the mixture rich everywhere. Even on Mustangs with factory wideband o2's, it would still shoot for the old stoich and WOT power (.82-.84 Lambda depending on tune's target) lambdas.

#53 ·
Thank you, I have heard that. I do want sidewall height, and don't want to waste money,
and dedicated wheels and tires are a must. My search is on.
Do you think it is the wheel rim itself is what would not clear the sway bay?
Any suggestions are appreciated.
I will scour the site and search again for good combo's!
Have a great day!

#63 ·
So I finally got to the drag strip. First time with the SRT. Review below.

2015 SRT 6MT.
All Stock EVERYTHING
275 All Season P Nero Zero.

60' - 2.030
330 - 5.556
1/8 - 8.357
MPH - 89.07
1000 - 10.749
1/4 - 12.771
MPH - 112.32

Review: First time at the strip with the SRT. I tried all the modes. It seems that all my best times came when I kept everything on STREET mode for the Suspension, Track, and Steering. I tried Track mode and it was nothing but wheel hop and spin city. Same with Sport mode.

Launch control was COMPLETELY useless. Don't bother. I'm thinking maybe it is more for drag radials or slicks.

The water box was unavoidable so I had to go through. Did a slight burnout to get the rocks off and dry them up a bit. I found the best method with the all seasons, were to get a slight roll and then pedal to floor. However, once I banged into 2nd gear, traction control kicked in and cut some of my power. No good.

I figure, with a 1.8 or even a 1.9 60', I'll be in the 12.5 range. Thoughts? I know with at least summers, I Could of got a 1.9 60'. I think a 2.030 (What I got) with All seasons, is still impressive.

I want the aggressive shifting that comes with the TRACK setting on suspension, however, I feel like wheel hop is guaranteed with it on track. Weight distribution maybe?

I think it might be time for some radials. I'm not sure what the corrected time would be. I'll find out and get back.

#64 ·
Your results are nearly identical as my first time out.
I run the all seasons also.
Second time out I took excess weight out of my car (Tools and the like out of my trunk)
Ran the fuel tank down and put a quarter tank of E-0 mixed with 102 unleaded race fuel.
I had MORE power and more spin.
Running in track mode and easing into the throttle I got down to 12.39
Tires will help no doubt, but, I am on a mission to see how low I can run on the stock
setup. That is how I run on the street, so that is what I want to master.
This car should get darn near 11's I believe, if I can master the launch and hold traction the whole run.

Keep us posted.
I will be heading to the track again soon to try again to master this car!
Either way it is a blast!!

#68 ·
I have 275s in all 4 corners on my scat pack. When at the strip I pump the front tires up to about 50psi to help minimize the rolling resistance.

...and the rears down around 20psi for, well you know !

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Woz! I know you are a 6MT. You don't have an option where you can change the Transmission setting only correct? You have the same thing I have, Suspension, Steering, and Traction... Correct??

Are you on All-Seasons or Summer Performance? You ran a 12.6 correct? I'd like to compare our timeslips!!

#70 ·
Here's some data for you from my last trip to the track.

These cars are a handful to get fast and consistent on street tires!

I'm running 275/40r20 Firestone Wide Oval Indy 500 tires (summer tires) on all 4 corners.

I'm going to the track in a few weeks for a big Challenger Event in Bowling Green KY. I'll post up my results afterwards.

Since this last visit I have installed the Hellcat Intake setup - I'm curious to see if it helps keep the intake air a little cooler throughout the day.

And those are some great trap speeds you're running !

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.