Dodge Challenger Forum banner

2015 SRT - Mobil 1 0w40 OK for first oil change?

38K views 37 replies 19 participants last post by  B5NevadaScat 
#1 · (Edited)
With the 2015 SRT A8, I've read here that Mobil 1 0w40 is OK even on the MDS equipped A8 cars. Is this still the consensus? I have two jugs that I already bought for my 2009 SRT and I'm planning to do my first oil change this weekend (at about 800 miles). I don't want any trouble with the MDS since there seems to be a little debate about what oil is OK for the MDS engines. The manual does say 0w40 so I'm guessing it's fine.

Edit: P.S. I do know about the 800 lb gorilla. I didn't have any problem on my 2009 SRT on the first change though so either I'm an 800 lb gorilla too, or my oil filter wrench that fits the bottom of the filter helps. So I'll probably just try it myself like I did on the 2009.

Thanks,
Mike

#4 · (Edited)
Didn't feel like spending $250 for race ramps. I use the Rhino ramps ($50) and they won't clear the front 392 spoiler but you can get a couple of 2X6X30 ($7) boards from Home Depot to make it work. Torque wrench, jack stance, breaker bar, low clearance jack. And I use Mobil 1 0-40 with srt filter. As long as you use the correct weight, you won't have any issues with MDS.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#3 ·
I use Mobil 1 0-40 in my 2012 SRT 392 Challenger. If the 2015 manual still calls for 0-40 oil I`m sure your good to go with your jugs of Mobil 1!
Also used it in my 2008 6.1 engine as well so seems like Mopar hasn`t changed anything as far as what viscosity to use.......

#6 ·
I plan on running Mobil 1 in my automatic scat pack. As long as it's 0w-40 then you're fine

#8 ·
I thought the oil problem with the SRTs was when Fiat switched from Mobil to Pennzoil.

Pennzoil didn't have 0W40 and Fiat said 5w40 was close enough, but apparently it wasn't. So Shell brought a 0W40 oil to the market and branded it SRT oil for marketing purposes.

So I don't think there was anything wrong with 0W40 Mobil, other than it didn't have the same Ferarri connections that Shell/Pennzoil did.

#29 ·
Pretty much the deal. 5w40 is not terribly different from 0w40- if Mobil 1 0w40 weren't so readily available, I would have no qualms at all using Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5w40, which is the oil that Chrysler used in that small window when Pennzoil didn't have a 0w40.

#9 ·
I am fixing to do my fourth oil change on my 2013 SRT8 6M and I use Pennzoil 0W-40 Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic made from natural gas motor oil and the Mopar SRT oil filter (05038041AA). The oil filter is heavier and allows for higher pressures and flow capacity of the SRT engine. :guiness:

#22 ·
Thanks for the tip! I love CT ;)

#17 ·
OK, did my first oil change today at 736 miles. The oil was pretty dark: looked black in my light colored pan. Not that the color means anything. Just felt better changing it early.

Everything went without a hitch. Took me the same amount of time as on my 2009 SRT. It's nice that you can now just scroll over to oil life in vehicle info and reset by holding OK... and get a confirmation that it was reset.

I can confirm that the 800 lb gorilla made his mark as usual. I couldn't budge the filter with my ratchet and oil filter socket. I probably could have if I spun around and put my foot on something to brace myself and strained my guts out... but I wasn't in the mood when I have a breaker bar. This time instead of doing the lazy thing and using my breaker bar, I used my torque wrench instead so I could see where it started turning. The needle had just past 70 lb/ft when the filter started rotating! Anyway, got it off without much trouble: just some leverage. The rubber gasket didn't stick to the mating surface so all was good there. My advice for anyone trying to defeat the 800 lb gorilla is to get a metal filter socket and use a breaker bar. The socket I used was on the rack at WalMart where I get my Mopar filter and Mobil 1. I think it was somewhere between 5 and 10 bucks. Got it years ago. I just got the MO-899 filter out of it's box and stuck it in various sockets until I found one with a nice tight fit and then just bought that one.

Mike

#19 ·
Breaker bar IMO is one of the best and useful tools for a home mechanic like us. I just used it yesterday to get my caliper bolt lose.
So on the 15MY, the oil reset can be done with the touch screen instead of the gas pedal now?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Yes. Use the up/down arrows and stop at "Vehicle Info". Then scroll right over to "Oil Life". Mine said 88%. Hold "OK" to reset. It then went to 100%.

Mike

#24 ·
Reading through this post made me think of a few things. One, we're obsessed with oil, way more than the average person. I bet if I walked around my office and asked a 100 people what type of oil is in their car, what weight of oil, and when was their last oil change, I probably couldn't get more than 2 or 3 correct answers. I know about 50% wouldn't even know that there was such a thing as different weights of oil. Half the women would answer the same way as my wife would , "I have no idea, that's something my husband takes care of". We're a different breed of people.

Now for me, I stopped doing my own oil changes a while ago. I got to the point that I found lying on the cold concrete, having hot oil running down my hand was no longer fun. Imagine that. But I applaud you guys that do. Luckily my dealership seems competent enough and so far they've taken good care of my car. Plus, I have to get it inspected once a year, so while its there for that, they do 1 of my 2 yearly oil changes, so I only stop by one other time a year.

One thing I was curious about, it would seem to me that Challenger is up high enough that you would be able to change the oil without ramps at all. Assuming you are tall enough with long enough arms. Any of you guys just reach underneath and do that? Believe it or not, its how I did it on my 2007 Corvette. Tight fit, but it actually work with a low oil pan.

#25 ·
Reading through this post made me think of a few things. One, we're obsessed with oil, way more than the average person. I bet if I walked around my office and asked a 100 people what type of oil is in their car, what weight of oil, and when was their last oil change, I probably couldn't get more than 2 or 3 correct answers. I know about 50% wouldn't even know that there was such a thing as different weights of oil. Half the women would answer the same way as my wife would , "I have no idea, that's something my husband takes care of". We're a different breed of people.

One thing I was curious about, it would seem to me that Challenger is up high enough that you would be able to change the oil without ramps at all. Assuming you are tall enough with long enough arms. Any of you guys just reach underneath and do that? Believe it or not, its how I did it on my 2007 Corvette. Tight fit, but it actually work with a low oil pan.

We are a different breed. Go to a walmart service center and look at the expensive cars getting oil changes with those low grade oils and filters they use. Makes me want to cringe. As far as fitting underneath, no can do. I can't even fit under our minivan without a slight lift. My problem is I hate incompetence and it seems to be more of a problem the older I get. Nobody seems to like their job or care about other people's property, and it makes me want to do the job myself.

Reactions: Intense
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.