392 Test Drive Impressions (vs. 6.1 Hemi) - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 10:46 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
392 Test Drive Impressions (vs. 6.1 Hemi)

Well, got out this weekend, went to a Dodge dealer and took a Blue IE 392 for a spin... it was an auto with sunroof and F1's. Mind you, this was a test drive with the salesman riding shotgun, so I didn't REALLY get on it.

*My 07 Charger SRT8 is lowered with KW Variant 1 coilovers (non-adjustable dampening) and exhaust.

HANDLING:
The 392 felt tighter... the dampening adjustments Dodge performed were immediately noticeable as the ride felt tighter than my car, even with the KW's. Whereas my KW equipped Charger's ride feels less harsh, the Challengers felt more sporty when hitting the bumps... not jarring, but a firm and solid feel. The turn-in felt crisper as well... I didn't feel AS isolated from the road as I do in my Charger... apparently, Dodge's adjustment of the steering column placement and turn ratio worked fairly well. This car could use a set of Hotchkis sway bars, however. The body roll, while not ridiculous, was noticeable and wasn't confidence inspiring compared to Hotchkis-equipped cars I've driven in. Get the sways on this puppy and you'd be a 4300lb slot car (plus get some NT05's, just for good measure LOL).

ACCELERATION:
I wasn't surprised, nor disappointed. It's faster than the 6.1, even from my rather tame experience... and the power appears to be more readily available. Like I said, I didn't get to hammer it too much, but she was faster and she seemed a little more eager to get up and go.

APPEARANCE:
I love the white seats! But... I took a closer look at the driver's side seat and what did I see? Dirt and/or dye transfer on a new car... the left thigh bolster had it. It was disheartening. This dealership was taking pretty good care of the 3 IE's on their lot. All stored indoors. This is further evidenced in that even the manager seemed to think only 1100 392 Challengers were being made, period; IE or non-IE. I corrected their perception error. But they were careful with these cars, it was rather apparent... and there was still the dirt/dye issue.

OTHER:
On the dealers lot was what I believe was an SE, in Toxic Orange. Before you judge Toxic Orange, see it in person! I wasn't a fan, but seeing it up close, with the dark interior... wow! It's NICE!

Last edited by OMOM; 05-09-2011 at 10:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMOM View Post
Well, got out this weekend, went to a Dodge dealer and took a Blue IE 392 for a spin... it was an auto with sunroof and F1's. Mind you, this was a test drive with the salesman riding shotgun, so I didn't REALLY get on it.

*My 07 Charger SRT8 is lowered with KW Variant 1 coilovers (non-adjustable dampening) and exhaust.

HANDLING:
The 392 felt tighter... the dampening adjustments Dodge performed were immediately noticeable as the ride felt tighter than my car, even with the KW's. Whereas my KW equipped Charger's ride feels less harsh, the Challengers felt more sporty when hitting the bumps... not jarring, but a firm and solid feel. The turn-in felt crisper as well... I didn't feel AS isolated from the road as I do in my Charger... apparently, Dodge's adjustment of the steering column placement and turn ratio worked fairly well. This car could use a set of Hotchkis sway bars, however. The body roll, while not ridiculous, was noticeable and wasn't confidence inspiring compared to Hotchkis-equipped cars I've driven in. Get the sways on this puppy and you'd be a 4300lb slot car (plus get some NT05's, just for good measure LOL).

ACCELERATION:
I wasn't surprised, nor disappointed. It's faster than the 6.1, even from my rather tame experience... and the power appears to be more readily available. Like I said, I didn't get to hammer it too much, but she was faster and she seemed a little more eager to get up and go.

APPEARANCE:
I love the white seats! But... I took a closer look at the driver's side seat and what did I see? Dirt and/or dye transfer on a new car... the left thigh bolster had it. It was disheartening. This dealership was taking pretty good care of the 3 IE's on their lot. All stored indoors. This is further evidenced in that even the manager seemed to think only 1100 392 Challengers were being made, period; IE or non-IE. I corrected their perception error. But they were careful with these cars, it was rather apparent... and there was still the dirt/dye issue.

OTHER:
On the dealers lot was what I believe was an SE, in Toxic Orange. Before you judge Toxic Orange, see it in person! I wasn't a fan, but seeing it up close, with the dark interior... wow! It's NICE!
I agree T/O looks better in person, especially when the sun is hitting it. On a cloudy day, it looks too copper for my tastes. If they paint a 392 in Hemi Orange though, I may just upgrade.
#3 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 12:15 PM

Garage
My 09 SRT is pretty flat in the corners stock, I'm curious to know how you could make that kind of assessment on the 392 considering you had a salesman in the seat next to you limiting the extent to which you put it through its paces? Sway bars alone could upset the balance of this car in a negative way. It would have been simple for the engineers to have added a sixteenth to the front sway diameter if they felt it would help. I thought the 392 suspension was already stiffer than the 6.1? Can you compare the 392 to a 6.1 Challenger or just your Charger? Thanks for the review!
#4 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 12:50 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skialfs View Post
My 09 SRT is pretty flat in the corners stock, I'm curious to know how you could make that kind of assessment on the 392 considering you had a salesman in the seat next to you limiting the extent to which you put it through its paces? Sway bars alone could upset the balance of this car in a negative way. It would have been simple for the engineers to have added a sixteenth to the front sway diameter if they felt it would help. I thought the 392 suspension was already stiffer than the 6.1? Can you compare the 392 to a 6.1 Challenger or just your Charger? Thanks for the review!
My body roll assessment is based soley on a highway on and then off-ramp runs at about 50-60ish. Ramps I've taken in my Charger SRT8. I guess the fact that the body rolled, despite my relative easy driving, highlights my observation... it wasn't excessive by any means, but noticeable... similar to my stock sway Charger.

Now, thicker sways MAY interfere with the overall ability of the car to handle appropriately, I don't know. Thicker sways, generally speaking, in the SRT8 world, tend to be one of the best mods... is it different with the 392? I don't know. I do know my buddy's hotchkis setup transformed his Charger SRT8.

The suspension is "stiffer" because of the dampening of the coilovers/shocks... hence the "harsher" more solid feel over bumps... generally speaking, sways won't effect your ride quality as much as dampening.

Basically, the 392's body roll was similar to my Charger SRT8 (which would benefit from some better sway bars).

I heard the 392 sways were thicker than previous year Challengers, but I'm no expert, so I'm going by what others have said. I do "know" previous Challengers had more body roll than its SRT8 siblings for some reason, or at least that's what I've heard... so if that's the case, the 392's body roll is less than previous generations and therefore, roughly equal to the body roll of the 06-10 LX platform cars (which benefitted greatly from thicker sway bars).
#5 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 01:00 PM

(Thread Starter)
It is my humble opinion that if thicker sways would work in unison with the rest of the 392 suspension (which I suspect they would be fine), that the thicker sways would be a "must have"... if the addition of these two parts is as dramatic on a 392 as they are on the LX platform cars, it will transform this beast from a decent cornering car to a very good cornering car, given its bulk.

Like I said and have hinted at, SRT8's aren't meant to be purely straight line cars... they're supposed to be big, fast cars that handle well... and my initial impression (a short and limited impression) is it does all the above well... I love the twisty roads, and IMO thicker sways would make this car nearly perfect for me.

Off the top of my head, I didn't find mechanical flaw with the car... it could be an inch or so lower (to help with cornering), but other than that, its REALLY REALLY nice!
#6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
[QUOTE=OMOM;812560]ACCELERATION:
[QUOTE]

This was expected because the 6.4 has more low-end torque.

#7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 01:10 PM

(Thread Starter)
[quote=Cuda340;812665][QUOTE=OMOM;812560]ACCELERATION:
Quote:

This was expected because the 6.4 has more low-end torque.
Si senor! It does indeed!

I would've liked to have had the car for a day to really get a feel for it... but alas, it was not to happen!
#8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 02:40 PM

Thanked 1,117 Times in 668 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The amount of power the 392 lays down, and the way it lays it down can be very deceiving.. If you come out of the hole at say 10-15 percent throttle it picks up speed rapidly but does so in a very controlled manner, you'd never realize there's another 85-90 percent throttle left... Put her in Autostick and mash the throttle and bang the gears at redline and it's a whole other monster... I realize it's "only" 470 HP but it's a mean 470 HP

Brett DiMichele

2011 Toxic Orange

2015 SRT Hellcat on order with Bob Frederick (Billet Silver, Sepia Languna)

©2011-2029 A Sparkly Moose Beaver Production

www.toxic11.com
#9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic11 View Post
I realize it's "only" 470 HP but it's a mean 470 HP
Yeah, I say just a tad under rated. LOL. Especially according to my timeslip. There is still more in it too.

2007 Procharged SRT8 Charger..........SOLD
2010 Mopar 10 Challenger.................SOLD
2010 R/T Classic Challenger...............SOLD
2011 392 Challenger.........................SOLD
2012 mid 10 second 1/4 mile GT500.... SOLD

Current ride
100% stock 2013 Plum SuperBee............best of 12.407 @ 114.28
With drag radials, tune and CAI...............best of 12.008 @ 115.74
#10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 03:34 PM

(Thread Starter)
What would be a deciding factor for me, would be get a 6.1 vs. 392 run... I mean, how many car lengths could a 392 put on a 6.1 in a 1/4? (both driven comprably)?! 1? 2?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific > 6.4L / 392ci (2011 - ?)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode