Votes: 5 4.5%
  • amsoil

Votes: 9 8.2%
  • other

Votes: 4 3.6%

6.4L oil VOTE PLEASE

6K views 25 replies 20 participants last post by  Jeb114 
#1 ·
Let see what the members use the most. Please vote for the oil you use in your 6.4 engine.

#2 ·
need more votes guys!!!!

#3 ·
Mobile1 0W40.

#4 ·
Factory Mopar oil from the dealer, as the first 12 changes are free. They're pretty cool, they let me just pickup the parts. After that I'll have to decide.

#7 ·
What does it matter what engine. I run Pennzoil full synthetic 5W20 in my supercharged 5.7 Just a personnel choice. My lawn mower has 20w50 royal purple. I didn't like how it ran in my old BMW K100RS so using up the leftovers.

#14 ·
What does it matter what engine.
You're in the 6.4 section, the question was asked about oil for the 6.4 which uses a different oil viscosity than the 5.7. Some brands may not even make a 0w40, which is what the 6.4 calls for.

So, that's why it matters which engine. Mobil 1 5w20 is totally different than their 0w40, especially considering the 0w40 is a new formulation that uses a GTL base and, as far as I know, none of their other oils do.

#9 ·
Mobile1 0W40 :thumbsup:

#10 ·
Royal Purple 0W-40 and RP filter

Signing off from somewhere in the Universe...

#11 ·
LiquiMoly.

I have never had good results out of a pensoil product in oil analysis, and I have pulled down too many engines with Mobile 1 "ick" in them (they were not dodge engine but still).

I trust liquimoly, amsoil, redline, maybe a handful of others including joe gibbs racing

#12 ·
I've had no issues with any major brand oil over the decades or playing with engines and cars.

That said, I voted Pennz, as the new formula seems to get along well with the 392 engine, so I used it and a SRT filter for the first change.

FWIW, FCA has us in and little technical bind, as the new Pennz is the only oil that has the FCA certification.

This has been discussed, and almost beaten to death in other threads. The FCA spec is not on Mobil1 or Castrol when I checked, so "if" there was an oil related engine failure (which is very slim to none), FCA could deny, and IMO, would probably deny engine repairs under warranty due to "improper oil used".

Believe me, I'm not going to be standing there calmly, when I'm told this because I have another major brand oil in my Scat Pack, and it didn't have the FCA approval.

BS? Yes, but I'm playing it safe for now. Like I said, never had any major oil brand issues in my life, and wouldn't expect it in the 392 either, but, I'm too old to start shooting people over an issue like this, if it did happen.

#13 ·
I think the same way. Had oil consumption issue on another vehicle and the wanted documentation of oil changes and receipts for oil. After that I decided I would make my life easier for the duration of the warranty. Just one less reason to deny me.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Reactions: 19johned53
#16 ·
Penzoil 0W-40, with the SRT filter.

Switched to Mobil 1 at my first oil change hoping to cure a slight tick...tick became slightly worse. Dealer lied about installing SRT filter; only installed stock filter

Switched back to Penzoil, but assessment on tick inconclusive, since dealer lied again about using SRT filter...

...Sticking with Penzoil on most recent change, but changed dealers. This one definitely put SRT filter in (I know because I watched them install it)...still not happy about ticking sound. It's loudest outside the car, barely hear it inside (but since I know it's there, it's blaringly loud to me).

I would have to conclude it's a lifter, based on all the posts on all the threads I've read here...just not convinced (a) Dodge will fix it, and (b) I want to undertake the struggles others have endured, for a sound that doesn't appear to have any impact on the engine's operations or performance...

...I have 21,000 miles and 15 months of warranty coverage left to make up my mind...

#18 ·
Royal Purple I have 2 race motors a Chevy 540 and a Chevy 427 small block these motors live on RP they have been torn apart many times for refresh and I am always amazed at no wear on the lower end. Mobil 1 not so much always had a little Bearing wear.

#20 ·
Not knowing how Mobil 1's new 0w40 formula is going to work out, I was thinking about going with RP next time (Ran it in my 5.7) or possibly Red Line. I guess we'll see in a couple of months when it's time for my next oil change. :)

#24 ·
ive had my oil changed 2 times at the dealer. They use the Pennzoil. This being said i experienced lifter tick. i brought the car in and the dealer is now replacing my lifters. should have the car back tomorrow. 3 days in the shop.

#25 ·
Curious, do you pull the dipstick and check the oil level a lot?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.