Dodge Challenger Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

According to this guy,,,SRT hmmm , not as good.

23K views 182 replies 40 participants last post by  Rambit 
#1 ·
Ok now, I'm not trying to start a forum war with this but......I just watched this video about a review of a SRT8 Challenger and it was amusing and probably a little true. I mean even thinking to myself at random times I think 'it's probably just a little more punchy in the throttle and corners a tad bit better because of the rubber over a RT '.

Now, listening to guys on here who always say "oh just trade in your archaic RT and get the chariot of the God's an SRT8" "the suspension is better its got a better engine and brakes and it has corinthian leather and bla bla bla" =) Im not talking **** ok lol I find it amusing when you SRT guys go into that little spiel. So seriously , what do you think of this dudes review of the SRT8? Think IRL he drives a Tiburon?

I find it a bit troubling because that sounds like a review he would give to a base RT lol. But it's an SRT. Did the SRT guys pay too much for not much more? I kinda think so, its a bad ass looking car no doubt about it but it sort of looks like the RT's have more diversity and a unique thing about them. I'd still love a black SRT8 but seeing how punchy it kind of isnt, in this vid, I wouldnt pay that much more for that.Seems like I could drop 6 g's on a RT 5.7 and be able to leave a stock ish SRT from a 70 mph roll.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
So... I just revisited this old clip to see if I had missed something controversial or new in what the guy said, and I couldn't find it. I think most of us would agree with his assessment, including the comment that it's probably the only true remaining muscle car. There were only driving impressions and no actual performance numbers quoted so it could've been any trim, period. Less sporty and more comfortable than Mustang and Camaro? Move along, nothing to see here. I'd be surprised that this guy, what with his weight and back problems, isn't more pro-Challenger, but I've seen other clips of his and figure him for a Mustang & Corvette lover. Kinda goes with the douchy look and smarty-pants tone :)wink2:). He doesn't tear the SRT down, though. It is a big girl.

The only way to really know what the SRT has over an R/T is probably to drive one rather than listen to some dude's impressions and pitch for sunglasses, don't you think? With the democratization of the internet and video sites, everybody is a freaking expert these days. "Hi, this is Joe Nobody for review-site-you-never-heard-of.com and I'm going to be your [object for rinsing body cavities apparently too rude to post]y and blase host today..."

And I've posted it before, but here's a more thoughtful and reflective approach to understanding what the car is about:

#3 ·
Damn I forgot all about his pitch for the sunglasses lol

#4 ·
He's right tho Mustang lacks that curb appeal

#5 ·
Talking about internet clips and dubious opinions, I prefer the guys who say, "hey, I'm just some loser who rented this car and I'll tell you what I think, for what it's worth".

Reactions: wasp392
#6 ·
For the fat guy with the bad back's criteria as well as most car mags the SRT8 is not as good at 0-60, track time, canyon carving, weight and so on and so forth. What it is good at, driving on public roads, compliant suspension for where it will be used on 99% of the time, daily driving, cruising, road trips, style (subjectively) driving in crosswinds and possibly crash worthiness because of its weight etc are the very reasons why I bought mine.

So you need to ask yourself what's more important, specs, stats etc. or what you're actually going to use it for. If it's the latter you won't have bragging rights....boo hoo.

#7 · (Edited)
Me as a SRT owner... Finds it funny when R/T owners say they can spend $6k to leave me... LOL!!! I drive an SRT... doesn't make me who I am... its an AWESOME car that I absolutely love! Any SRT is THE BEST CAR of its respective model period!!! It costs more because you get more!!!

I would like to pose a question:
If you could purchase any SRT product for the same $$$ as the product One step below i.e. Challenger R/T, 300C/S, Charger R/T, Jeep Grand Cherokee... Would you? And why would you or wouldn't you?

Sent from my PG86100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#11 ·
Me as a SRT owner... Finds it funny when R/T owners say they can spend $6k to leave me... LOL!!! I drive an SRT... doesn't make me who I am... its an AWESOME car that I absolutely love! Any SRT is THE BEST CAR of its respective model period!!! It costs more because you get more!!!

I would like to pose a question:
If you could purchase any SRT product for the same $$$ as the product One step below i.e. Challenger R/T, 300C/S, Charger R/T, Jeep Grand Cherokee... Would you? And why would you or wouldn't you?

Sent from my PG86100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Lol right right. Honestly in a car like the Challenger all I want or care for is the drivetrain with the engine being the most important to me. My list of importance with the Challenger is this : 392 / 6 Speed / 3.90 gears or better. If I could have had the RT with the 392 option I would have grabbed it. I just don't want leather navi and the other stuff brakes and suspension included, I like it simple with a car like this. For the extra cheddar at least for me in my case I wouldnt get an SRT unless it was nused and the depreciation already hit, ill let someone else get on that haha.
Really man I just want a 392 in a RT and thats beast on the street.

#8 ·
This is what happens when people view things through their own prism. Some guys only know about 0-60 or quarter mile when there's a lot more to a car. Some only see trunk size and it's the same thing. That's why I like to see several clips or read several articles by somebody - I can't believe what they're saying until I identify their particular bias. Gives perspective to the statements.

#9 ·
When I bought mt R/T I seriously bargained for a SRT8 Challenger that had the options I like. But when I got down to the almost $10,000.00 dollar price difference and the lack of certain warranty options sealed the deal. The R/T made more sense for me and my situation.

The R/T Classic is a very nice car for the money.

The SRT8 is a very nice car for the money.

IMHO, if you are going to be racing and spending a lot of time at the track, you would be very wise to buy a SRT8.
If you are looking for a daily driver and commuter, a R/T can fill the bill nicely without breaking the bank.

If you are looking at long term investment potential, buy the SRT8, R/T's are everywhere.

#12 ·
Who has ever taken a muscle car through a canyon purposely more than once because they wanted to "perform there" misses the whole point of a car like the Challenger. I understand this guy in the video is trying to critique the SRT8, but critique it in the arena it was built for, not in an arena that is ultimately unrealistic. He is a corvette owner. No wonder his assessments seem to attempt to dim the SRT8 down to a ho hum car....which it most definitely is not. The Challenger is the 240lb running back with speed, the corvette is the speedy, flashy wide receiver that wears the smaller shoulder pads. Completely nullifies his assessment when he mentions his ownership of a Corvette. I love the corvette btw, this isn't about that, I just think this guy makes an assessment in the wrong arena stepping out of little sports car and into the beefy srt8. Good topic -but I don't think that the RT is a few grand away from the srt8 in performance either....on the surface anyway.

#14 ·
Who has ever taken a muscle car through a canyon purposely more than once because they wanted to "perform there" misses the whole point of a car like the Challenger. I understand this guy in the video is trying to critique the SRT8, but critique it in the arena it was built for, not in an arena that is ultimately unrealistic. He is a corvette owner. No wonder his assessments seem to attempt to dim the SRT8 down to a ho hum car....which it most definitely is not. The Challenger is the 240lb running back with speed, the corvette is the speedy, flashy wide receiver that wears the smaller shoulder pads. Completely nullifies his assessment when he mentions his ownership of a Corvette. I love the corvette btw, this isn't about that, I just think this guy makes an assessment in the wrong arena stepping out of little sports car and into the beefy srt8. Good topic -but I don't think that the RT is a few grand away from the srt8 in performance either....on the surface anyway.
Yeah I wasnt aware he was a Vette owner now I can see his bias it explains more about his opinions I just thought his jokes were corny so I didnt watch the last minute of the vid.

#13 ·
Ok Speedlogix project RT you can use mine 6 grand any which way on a RT to see if it can spank a stockish SRT8

#18 ·
Wonder what that would consist of....

A speedfactory might put you over that edge...closer to 10grand I believe. I admit it would be fun to try, but I wouldn't do it to mine. Kinda like where it is right now:rocker:

#16 ·
The second video posted is fantastic. Time to find a desert lol

#17 ·
Wow that Shelby is pretty sick.

#19 ·
Super Snake is wild. Dude scared himself lol, but everything that second video said about the Challenger I agree with. I think he was dead on. I know everyone else experiences other muscle (pony/whatever) car owners gawking at the Challenger. Gotta love it!

#20 · (Edited)
Zute Believe me Ive been brainstorming =] but im talking srt like numbers for 6 grandish that almost any RT owner can get into. Itd make a hell of a impact haha.

#21 ·
Im suprised hot rod mag or some other show hasnt done project RT yet

#22 ·
I dont get the whole driving the car through the desert thing though wtf was that about thats why they make Jeeps uh ,hello?

#23 ·
No doubt kid!

#24 ·
The desert had no purpose other than stupid fun I think...it looked fun to me though. Again....probably wouldn't put mine in the sand :)

#29 ·
#27 ·
You could sense his bias, sarcasm, with his stupid sunglasses. He just wanted to sell t-shirts. Smoking you know what dot com. He can shove his review along with his sunglasses where the sun don't shine.
Rtkidd, what was you intention of your thread? I guess you got nothing else to do. You clearly knew his so called review being bullsh$t.
If the guy had any hair, he'd look like your profile picture.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

#31 ·
It is not just about the numbers, for me a lot of the reason I opted to buy a used 2010 SRT8 instead of a new 2012 R/T for about the same price were all those little SRT8 benefits (better brakes, great sounding stock exhaust, etc), as a guy with a bad back the seats would have sealed the deal by themselves, not saying the R/T seats are bad, but the SRT seats are in a league of their own.
On a related note, I went to Lone Star Modern Mopar festival a couple of months ago, and it seemed all the R/T owners were talking about which SRT8 take off parts they had put on their R/T's (suspension, exhaust, wheels, brakes, etc.) at which point I have to ask myself, if they wanted an SRT8 why not buy one already assembled. Now sure mine is not a 392, but the 6.1 still has 425HP from the factory a while back I found myself at over 120mph and still accelerating while passing a slow moving truck I had been stuck behind for miles on a 2 lane highway, which when you sit back and think about it should really be fast enough.

Or lets put it another way from the factory it will do 0-60 in under 5 seconds, the 1/4 mile in 12.? and has a top speed of over 175 mph, try to name any car in the world that cost under $100,000 that could do that 10 or 15 years ago.

#32 ·
I can, 1998-2002 Trans-Am WS6, High 12 second cars from the factory, with full bolt ons they will eat an SRT alive, LOW 12's for next to nothing. H/C it's deep into the 11's easy. Not to mention how cheap they are to mod.

As for the R/T vs SRT debacle. I like the R/T because of it's heritage really. I could care less about the brakes and interior stuff (I don't need nav, leather, heated seats.. etc) I've already got an Eibach suspension so.. I'm missing the 100+ horses. I'd much rather drop a 426 into a lighter base R/T and make it a sleeper.
That's just me though, and I'm younger, I can see someone older caring more about the nicer features of the SRT.

Not bashing the SRT at all, they are awesome cars, are they the aforementioned "chariots of the gods" (got a good chuckle out of that) well I guess that depends on personal preference, to me no, they are not.

Reactions: Litos
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.