Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Best Gear to do Dyno pulls?

11K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  Raghav 
#1 · (Edited)
Im guessing 3rd or 4th?

Also, my 392 is an automatic... any tips on getting all I can out of her on the dyno?

#3 ·
Forth gear is 1:1 but most tuners will use 3rd as they don't want to beat on your car too badly. With our 3.06 rear, the car will go past 150mph every pull.

#5 · (Edited)
^^exactly 6000rpms in 4th gear is 167.33~ (with 28.7" tall tires and i didn't use pi, just 3.14, so it'd actually be a few tenths higher lol)

#10 ·
Use 4th. It's 1:1. You don't want to do it any higher or any lower. Lower would just rev the motor up and you couldn't get the exact numbers due to the ratio being off. you need engine speed and transmission output speed to be the same.

#15 · (Edited)
Why would you dyno your car when the ratios are different? That makes absolutely no sense, and I will have to completely disagree. You get it in 4th, take it up to about 3.5, when you're ready go go go!

I've been around dyno's since I was a kid, I've always witnessed 1:1 dyno pulls, and I've always dyno pulled at 1:1. Every beefed up vehicle I've had a hand around including the worlds fastest viper dyno in 1:1 as well.

#18 ·
nobody wants to know how much HP they're making in 4th gear at 140mph.

most of these slow ass Challengers will trap in 3rd gear at the track anyways.

who in their right mind would dyno a car in 4th gear - or even tune the car in 4th gear !??! definitely not any reputable tuning shops....

it's borderline retarded.....

#19 ·
nobody wants to know how much HP they're making in 4th gear at 140mph.

most of these slow ass Challengers will trap in 3rd gear at the track anyways.

who in their right mind would dyno a car in 4th gear - or even tune the car in 4th gear !??! definitely not any reputable tuning shops....

it's borderline retarded.....
I know a lot of "reputable" tuners doing 4th gear tuning with our "slow ass" cars....In fact, most of the major tuners here do 4th gear and they dont stop at 140mph...they take it all tne way....I dont understand why it is "borderlined retarded"??:roller:

#22 · (Edited)
I had my old SRT8 dynoed in both 3rd and 4th gear. I think it depends on the operator and what they are comfrotable with - like was stated several posts earlier.

FYI my car made about 10 more hp/tq in 3rd, shouldn't it make more power in a lower gear as you are multiplying power with the gears???

I always thought the preffered method to dyno was to do it in the 1:1 gear. Maybe some of the tuners will chime in to this thread with their reasoning.

#23 ·
I had my old SRT8 dynoed in both 3rd and 4th gear. I think it depends on the operator and what they are comfrotable with - like was stated several posts earlier.

FYI my car made about 10 more hp/tq in 3rd, shouldn't it make more power in a lower gear as you are multiplying power with the gears???

I always though the preffered method to dyno was to do it in the 1:1 gear. Maybe some of the tuners will chime in to this thread with their reasoning.

May depend on the dyno itself.....I have been thru many tuning sessions on 3 different SRTs (2 SRT8s and 1 SRT10)....all were done in 4th except one time when Dave Weber at Modern Muscle did some work on my 07 SRT....he told me it would dyno lower in 3rd on his Mustang brand dyno which it did....

#24 ·
Southern Hot Rod dynos in 3rd gear as well

#26 ·
I know, I made that clear on the first page ;) lol
Just thought of throw SHR in since other shops were named lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.