BG 44K is Awesome! - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

» Featured Product
Auto Insurance

Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific > 6.4L / 392ci (2011 - ?)

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011, 10:05 PM

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
BG 44K is Awesome!

So when I bought my car about two weeks ago, the salesman filled my SRT8 up with 87 octane. Once I realized what he was pumping in, it was too late. When I questioned him about it, he said it's fine. . . got a buddy who runs 87 in his. Yeah, well his must run like crap! Anyhow, I ran some of the 87 out of it and topped off with 93 octane.

Rinse and repeat. I drained that gas down to below a half a tank and then topped it off again with more 93. After that the engine light came on and stayed on for three days. I'd continued to burn more gas and fill it back up with 93 and finally the light went off. Until last night.

Last night I took the 392 out for a cruise. It'd been four days since I'd driven her and the last time I pulled in the driveway, the engine light was off. I drove it for about 40 miles and once, when I really got on it, the light came back on. It stayed on for the rest of the ride home.

Now I was pissed. Bottom line, called the dealership and got somebody from service to give me an appt. for after work today. When I told the service guys what the salesman had done they were in disbelief. They said with an engine compression of 9 to 1 you want the cleanest gas possible - especially now since the temps have dropped to below freezing at night and the days have been much colder. They didn't clear the error on the MIL light, but they did put a can of BG 44K in the car and told me to go top it off again with 93 octane.

Bottom line, the light went off and has stayed off since the 50 mile ride back from the dealership. Also, I'd noticed the car was starting to ping when idling prior to the BG 44K. When I got home, she was running smoothly again. I'm hoping that one tank of 87 hasn't f'ed up my engine with a bunch of gunk, but I'm glad the service guys knew what they were doing. They were mostly younger guys and they were genuinely upset to know something like that had happened to such a nice car. They were kind of embarrassed that it'd been done by one of the guys at their dealership. We all pretty much agreed the salesman was a moron.

Anyhow, long story short, I'm sold on this product. The service tech suggested I ad a can of this to the gas tank every five fill ups or at least every oil change. They didn't charge me for the can they put in, but I bought two more while I was there.

Since then, I've found there are a lot more products BG puts out. In particular, BG Supercharge II Fuel Additive. This is recommended for each fill up.

Anybody use this stuff regularly? Anybody got any other experiences with any other BG products. I'd love to hear your comments and recommendations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2011, 10:14 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You are nicer that I would have been..... I would have been talking to Chrysler LLC and would have another NEW Challenger on its way to me! They could have the damaged unit back!

54 Plymouth
59 Apache
"She may not be the youngest gal at the ball... but she can still turn a head or two"

[/url]
Old 12-09-2011, 10:19 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Yahooligan
87 octane isn't a "dirty" gas full of "gunk." One tank isn't going to pollute/contaminate/ruin anything. Did they ever tell you what the actual code was? Wondering if it was a multiple cylinder/random misfire code due to the low octane or bad gas from that particular station.

In any case, glad you got the problem resolved, whatever it was. Octane rating has nothing to do with the quality of the gas. You can get premium fuel that's crap from a station that isn't able to cycle their tanks often enough.

It's also possible that tank of 87 octane had water contamination (Station's fault) and the BG neutralized it.

Hope it keeps running like a top now!
- 2011 Challenger R/T Classic GWE 6-speed, 27M, Hurst Billet Pro shifter, SX catch can, SX skip-shift eliminator, JBA Cat4Ward headers, Solo Mach-X cat-back w/ J-pipes, 180 t-stat, DiabloSport-tuned, Charger intake tube, BC coilovers, Razor's Edge front and rear 4-point braces, SPC UCAs, SPC rear camber bushings, Michelin Pilot Super Sport 255/45ZR20

Old 12-09-2011, 10:22 PM

Well, I thought about stopping in the showroom to see my salesman, but I had my son with me and I thought I might be less than Christian with him so I decided to be the bigger man. The guys in the service area were very good to deal with. They said basically that there shouldn't be any damage, but they were willing to take care of anything should any problems arise.

I'm pretty sure it mentions in the owner's manual not to put anything lower than 89 in the vehicle.

I may still call Chrysler LLC and see what I might be able to get out of them with regards to some freebies for my trouble. They didn't charge me for the can of BG 44K they put in. It wasn't until I went to buy a few extra cans that I found out that stuff is $22.50 a can. So that was decent. It was a start, at least.

There's an OCD part of me that is worried that the engine is damaged somehow, but I think that's highly unlikely. At least I hope so!
Old 12-09-2011, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Cuda Cliff View Post
You are nicer that I would have been..... I would have been talking to Chrysler LLC and would have another NEW Challenger on its way to me! They could have the damaged unit back!
Uhhhh...

"You just put the wrong octane gas in the car, I demand a different, new car now. I refuse to take this one."

Does that really sound logical to you? I love my Challenger and all, but let's not get crazy here.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by irunnoft View Post
There's an OCD part of me that is worried that the engine is damaged somehow, but I think that's highly unlikely. At least I hope so!
If it wasn't pinging heavily at higher RPMs then you should be fine. If the only problem you noticed was the MIL then the chances are quite slim that any long-term damage was done, especially with you being vigilant about diluting the 87 octane frequently.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Yahooligan View Post
87 octane isn't a "dirty" gas full of "gunk." One tank isn't going to pollute/contaminate/ruin anything. Did they ever tell you what the actual code was? Wondering if it was a multiple cylinder/random misfire code due to the low octane or bad gas from that particular station.

In any case, glad you got the problem resolved, whatever it was. Octane rating has nothing to do with the quality of the gas. You can get premium fuel that's crap from a station that isn't able to cycle their tanks often enough.

It's also possible that tank of 87 octane had water contamination (Station's fault) and the BG neutralized it.

Hope it keeps running like a top now!
Good points. Thanks for that. The salesman filled it up at a Hess Station and then since then I've either hit a Shell or Exxon. They haven't been the same ones either. My thoughts were that there could've been water that possibly contaminated one of the gas tanks where I bought gas, but I don't know.

I'd have to say the BG neutralized it, thank God! It wasn't until I got on it last night that the engine light came back on, so I figured there had to be some correlation between the aggressive driving and the error code which, they never told me, by the way.

The gunk idea was just an emotional response to what I viewed as something that negatively affected my car. I'm glad you pointed out that it isn't "dirty" gas because you're right and that was misinformation on my part.

In order for a gas station to cycle their tanks often enough, would that mean that they'd have to sell a lot of gas and take deliveries on a regular basis or what? I'm asking because it'll help me decide where and when to fuel up in the future.

I never knew I could become so protective of a car. It's the weirdest thing, but I can't park it and go in a store without worrying about it. It's funny how quickly this car has gotten under my skin.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Yahooligan View Post
If it wasn't pinging heavily at higher RPMs then you should be fine. If the only problem you noticed was the MIL then the chances are quite slim that any long-term damage was done, especially with you being vigilant about diluting the 87 octane frequently.
I never noticed anything pinging or any unusual sounds/vibrations/etc. when driving the car. Only recently did it sound like it was ever so slightly pinging when the car was in neutral and idling. I got out at a rest area to throw away a can and I left the car running. I could hear that it just didn't sound as smooth in idle as I thought it once was. I never noticed any performance problem with it, though.

I certainly didn't notice any performance problem tonight after driving it about 45 miles home. I got on a straight part of a road near my house just after turning off a highway and I pinned her ears back. This was the first real time I'd seen some smoke come off my tires. I chirped those tires shifting it from first to second and it just made the most satisfying squeal accompanied with some smoke! Kinda hard to do that in my Prius! But there wasn't any hint of sputter, stutter, lag, ping, etc. Just a s*** eating grin from ear to ear!
Old 12-09-2011, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by irunnoft View Post
In order for a gas station to cycle their tanks often enough, would that mean that they'd have to sell a lot of gas and take deliveries on a regular basis or what? I'm asking because it'll help me decide where and when to fuel up in the future.
That's right. To make sure you have the best chance at getting good fuel I'd stick with Shell or Chevron (I'm sure Exxon/Mobil are fine as well, we don't have many here) and use high-traffic stations. Premium gas gets cycled less frequently to begin with since most cars don't need it, so the risk of getting bad gas from a station increases when going to stations that aren't as busy, are off the beaten path, etc. I don't have anything to prove it, but I'd be willing to bet the gas stations right by freeway on/off-ramps are your best bet and get the most traffic.

I never knew I could become so protective of a car. It's the weirdest thing, but I can't park it and go in a store without worrying about it. It's funny how quickly this car has gotten under my skin.
Indeed, my wife and I are the same way. We either park away from other cars or in spots where cars can only park on one side in order to try and minimize the chance of dings, etc. Now my wife is saying she wants to buy a cheap minivan or car so that she can keep her baby parked in the garage instead of using it for errands.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:48 PM
Supporting Vendor

Really, a tank of 87 and your car is messed up. No way! That is BS just like the BG fuel additive stuff fixing it. BG is ok and the only reason the mechanics use it is because they get paid a spiff from their BG rep for every oil bottle lid that they turn in. You need to to specifically request MOPAR products when they service your vehicle. Its funny how the dealer can use non-MOPAR fluids on your car but if you do they want to give you a hassle on warranty work.

http://www.modernmuscleperformance.com/

WWW.SRTLLC.NET Tuning 2011, 12, 13 Hemi's!
sroos@srtllc.net

SRT8 IE 392 0056/1100 630 HP Tuned by B&G!
DWB, 6 Speed, SRT Option Group 2, NAV
12.467 @ 109.33 so far! (75 Degrees, 100% Humidity)
First Mail Order BG Chrysler Tuned 392
First Blown 392 on a stock B&G Tuned ECU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific > 6.4L / 392ci (2011 - ?)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.