Buy now or wait for 2014? - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

» Featured Product
Auto Insurance

Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific > 6.4L / 392ci (2011 - ?)

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 11:50 PM

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Buy now or wait for 2014?

First, hello to everyone, I'm a newbie on the forum.

Second, I'm a bit surprised to be here. I grew up in a Ford family, drove many of them myself, and can't believe I'm considering a Challenger SRT8.

This is like consorting with the enemy...

But it's a darn fine car.

So, here's what I'm wondering. I really, really like the '13 with the 6-speed. But...

I know there's some speculation about the '14 model. I've seen some of the spy shots of the black car with the bra hiding the front. From what I understand, it could be a styling revision for the Challenger. Or it could be that they're testing for the upcoming Barracuda and the Challenger is a mule, who knows?

I've also seen some of Chrysler's recent corporate advertising: All of their cars are featured except the Challenger. At least I didn't see one, even in the back.

Which makes me wonder what's in store for '14. Or if there will be a '14.

If '14 brings some updates to the interior (higher resolution nav or materials upgrades, or stuff like that), perhaps it'd be worth waiting. On the other hand, I think the current Challenger styling is just about perfect. And can't see how they'd spend any more money on the powertrain for '14, so I'm assuming that'd stay the same for next year.

The other consideration is, I'd like one fully loaded with the 730n, etc., and stripe delete in white, which seems to be somewhat difficult to find, at least so far. So if I'm going with a '13, I'd like to make that decision early enough so I can order one if necessary.

What do y'all think?

Last edited by Flygirl; 12-18-2012 at 12:08 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 03:58 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Photos: (14)
Well, at this point it is anyone's guess really. Typically Chrysler will show a product 6 months before it is set to be built and rumor is they will show the Challenger at the New York or Chicago Auto Show. So, you should know pretty soon what the '14 will be.
R/T Classic delivered on: 6/21/13
Mods installed:
Mopar CAI
RiderGraphix spoiler graphic
Skip-to-shift eliminator
Cursive Challenger on grille
Engine Cover air brush painted

Member of Frederick Scat Pack
Old 12-18-2012, 04:20 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to buckwheat
Wait for the 2014

2009 Dodge Challenger SRT
449 Aluminum Hemi
Kenne Bell 4.2LC
KB 148mm Throttle Body
Big Azz Cam Motion Camshaft
SHR On The Keyboard
SHR War Viking Racing Auto Transmission
USW Wheels (Street Cruising)
Bogart Racing Wheels/Double Bead Locks
Hoosier 28x10's (Laying The Smack Down)
Sons of Confederate Veterans Louisiana Division

2013 Jeep SRT8 Black Vapor Edition
1971 El Camino SS 454
2014 Dodge Challenger SRT NMCA Street Outlaw 94mm Turbo (under construction)
Old 12-18-2012, 06:01 AM

Wait.

From what I can tell the 13 models are simply a "bridge" to whatever is coming next. If it turns out you don't like the 14/15 model there will be plenty of 13's around. The 13's are out and there are still lots of new 12's looking for buyers so I wouldn't stress about not being able to get a car. I think (speculation) we should have a better idea of what the next gen looks like around April (?) or so as the big car shows roll out new models and concepts.

For example: I have an 010. The expert opinions in here have been back and forth about the new 8spd tranny coming to the Challenger. I honestly don't know so it's a wait and see for me. If it does, and if it has an accompanying increase in gas mileage, then I'm definitley looking at a trade in.

Oh, and FWIW I'm waiting to see what the new Mustang will look like - and as a lifetime MOPAR guy that's an odd turn of events so you're not alone in looking at what the "other guys" are doing.

Happy Holidays.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:32 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Wait! Wait! Wait!

At least 6 more months.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 12-18-2012, 06:58 AM

Just ordered a new SRT last week and now you m'effers are making me reconsider lol.

Oh well. Not sure I like the new look of the rumored front end and its not like I'd be willing to pay 65 or 70 for the 6.2SC.

I think I'll stick with my original plan and enjoy the car I ordered.
Shipped: 1/23/2013
Delivered: 2/14/2013
Old 12-18-2012, 07:03 AM

I could be totally wrong about all of this but IMO the next total car revision will be 2014 with the shorter wheelbase, design, electronics, revised interior etc. They'll let that play out and then release the 2015 SRT 'Cuda to compete with the all new Mustang. They're not going to have a SRT Challenger and 'Cuda at the same time, doesn't make business sense. The 392 will be the standard engine in the R/T (I'd like to see it in the 1500/2500 Ram too) and the 6.2 will be the new SRT engine, possibly over the entire range. That's how I'd do it anyway....
Old 12-18-2012, 07:19 AM

Photos: (2)
Why wait? you might not make it to tomorrow. Get it, drive the crap outta it, and don't baby it for "the next guy" who will own it. Life is short, ya never know.
Mopar Dodge wheel caps
DRL's enabled
Mopar Chrome shifter T-handle
Corsa Xtreme Exhaust
MOPAR cold air intake
Richard Petty Tower Strut Brace
Mopar Bight Pedal kit

2010 FURIOUS FUCHSIA R/T Classic 6 speed
Mopar hood struts
Billet Technology HEMI nose badge
Mopar Dodge wheel caps
DRL's enabled
Skip Shift eliminator
Blastin Bob's Resonator Eliminators,(awesome!)
K & N drop in air filter

2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad SLT
Old 12-18-2012, 07:34 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Personally, I'd wait and see what's just a few months around the corner. If the 2014 comes out with styling revisions you don't care for, there will still be PLENTY of 2013's out there to choose from. Production will start on the 2014's in June, so expect an announcement in March-ish. Now, can you bear to wait that long??
All Options

MODS:

Mopar Cold Air Intake
Fastman 84mm Throttle Body
Magnaflow 16886 Cat-Back Exhaust
Jet 180 Thermostat
Billet Tech Catch Can
DiabloSport Trinity 91 Octane Tune
Barton 6-Speed Shifter
Mopar Premium Floor Mats
Mopar Premium Trunk Mat

Old 12-18-2012, 09:55 AM

At the earliest I'd be considering the purchase in Spring anyway, so no immediate rush to buy.

If the car changed to something with a shorter wheelbase/new styling that competes with the Mustang, I'd definitely buy a next generation Mustang instead. The current Mustang's styling is a bit lumpy and unresolved in my opinion, and enough of the solid rear axle already.

I like the bigger size and look of the current Challenger SRT8, and don't think I want or need more power (but no less, either), unless it's naturally aspirated. Buying more for what it is now and to enjoy that, rather than to compete with anything, really.

The only thing I wish it had is something like the Cervanis hood/shaker hood scoop. For me, that's the only thing missing (which I know I could add myself). The Mopar lowering springs would be a nice addition, though, which I would make.

Personally, I can't imagine how the Challenger would coexist with the Barracuda. As I understand it, Challenger sales aren't that good now anyway. And not being really up on Chrysler, I'm not sure what's happening with its platform. I assume it's still being used under the 300...but what's set to happen with that model? Both have been around for quite a while, haven't they?

Dunno, I suspect this or '14 might be the last year for an individual Challenger, unless it's badge engineered to share components with the Barracuda.

I think this current car will become one of those which car magazines drive 20 years from now and appreciate. It's really the swan song of current American energy policy/CAFE standards and the relatively cheap energy and good economy which we may not be seeing again for some time to come, if ever in the case of the former.

Last edited by Flygirl; 12-18-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific > 6.4L / 392ci (2011 - ?)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.