Buy now or wait for 2014? - Page 2 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

Auto Insurance

Wheel & Tire Center

» Featured Product
Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific > 6.4L / 392ci (2011 - ?)

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 02:32 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Photos: (14)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The 2014 will be some changes to the current car. The 2015 will be the full body redo.
R/T Classic delivered on: 6/21/13
Mods installed:
Mopar CAI
RiderGraphix spoiler graphic
Skip-to-shift eliminator
Cursive Challenger on grille
Engine Cover air brush painted
Billet under the hood stuff
MOPAR door sills

Member of Frederick Scat Pack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 03:04 PM

Photos: (0)
you can wait for the 2014, but by then why not wait for the 2015 or the 2016??

there's always going to be a change or improvement.....if you like the 2013 then get one

id consider looking for a left over 2012 for a good discount since there isnt really any change for 2013

2014 may have a new front end (most likely) or that front end may be a special model (6.2sc)

just go out and get your car

IM GOING TO DRIVE OVER YOUR CAR
AND DO A BURNOUT ON YOUR HOOD!
Old 12-18-2012, 04:48 PM

wait or buy

well if you are willing to wait until 2014, then wait till 2015, then 2016, then 2017, then 2018....maybe you will be alive that year or maybe not. The moral of the story is enjoy your life now and buy what you like instead of waiting what the future will be. Personally, if i have the means and have the desire i normally do not wait to buy...just buy it now, then sell it if you feel the update is worth trading up for....you may not like the future version.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would Wait!

1954 Plymouth Savoy
1959 Chevy Apache
1977 Plymouth Volare'

"She may not be the youngest gal at the ball ... but she can still turn a head or two"

[/url]
Old 12-18-2012, 05:03 PM

Photos: (14)
keep waiting.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:44 PM

wait.. you will have the best challenger in history 'cause the party is over soon for everyone...including the mullet head chevy guys, and ford catapillar hat wearin' guys.

Last edited by raceheart77; 12-18-2012 at 05:46 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,300 Times in 806 Posts
For those who are wondering what's coming next, would you really buy a first year production car? I wouldn't based on the misfortune of those who did in past cars. They all said "I should have waited"....

Old 12-18-2012, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket 2012 View Post
For those who are wondering what's coming next, would you really buy a first year production car? I wouldn't based on the misfortune of those who did in past cars. They all said "I should have waited"....
I agree.

And you know that the manufacturer has probably designed in some room to grow, so that first year model will get more performance and other stuff a year or two down the road.

In the case of the Challenger, I'm feeling like this big old muscle car—perhaps the concept itself—might be nearing the end of the run. Doesn't it feel that way to you guys? I mean, CAFE will begin to tighten, the platform is getting old and (if I remember correctly) is from that brief, dark period in Chrysler's history.

Do we really think it's going to get a blown 6.2 or whatever next year? If that's on tap for other vehicles and drops right in, I could see it. Otherwise, seems like a stretch. We're already out of the marketing sweet spot with the current SRT8. Sure, a few of us would pay even more for more hp, but the majority either can't or won't.

Personally, I usually buy mid-way or so through the production run. Midway through, the styling is still more pure—like it was intended to be originally—but the bugs get worked out and maybe there's more power and other good stuff on tap.

My feeling is to buy the '13. The stuff I might want to see improved a bit isn't that bad right now, but the things I like might be changed later on. I'm not a procrastinator. But I like to buy things I really like and hold onto them for a while. Like, hopefully, this car. I won't be buying it then trading in a year or two later. That's not the plan.

It would be my just for fun/wring it out a bit/non-daily driver/give it another coat of Zaino on a pretty Saturday morning/take a romantic GT road trip kind of car. And for that, I think it's pretty darn good as is.

Originally Posted by raceheart77 View Post
wait.. you will have the best challenger in history 'cause the party is over soon for everyone...including the mullet head chevy guys, and ford catapillar hat wearin' guys.
Indeed. I think we may be on the precipice of today's equivalent of the early 1970s. I doubt anyone buying in '70 or '71 would have imagined the changes that the mid/late '70s brought. These big ol' cars with lots of space inside, relatively inefficient packaging, tons of torque and two long, heavy doors are marvelously out of sync with today's market. Which is why I like it so much.

Personally, I'm going out on a limb and saying that there no changes to the '14 Challenger SRT8, with the exception of a front end refresh and different exhaust tips. Sales figures dropped by half from '10-'11, and I suspect they have not rebounded. Why would they spend more money on it, just to please a few of us crazies?

Last edited by Flygirl; 12-18-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:19 AM

Well, I would buy now, I don't believe in waiting for the "next big thing". What you get now in an SRT is very nice and its a good car. Wait and you might get a tweak or 2 and yes, the 6.2SC looks to be real for 2014, but you're talking quite a difference in price. Probably $10-15K more, and that's a lot to most.

If I knew for a fact they were re-doing the entire interior, then I'd probably wait. Was hoping they might do that at some point and keep the same exterior, body, platform, and such, then at least it would be worth upgrading. At least for those of us who already have a 2011 or newer SRT would feel like we would be in a new/different car. But without a major update on the interior, a 2014 will be no different than a 2013, which really isn't any different than my 2011. And that's not a bad thing at all really.

If you don't have a Challenger now, the interior will be new to you. For me, I wouldn't buy another unless I was getting a new interior. I'm waiting for 2015 as I only keep cars about 4 years maximum, and I'll see what's available then. I don't buy first year cars, so if a truly new car is available, I'll be waiting until 2016. Or I'll do what I've done in the past, get impatient and buy on impulse. Sometimes that works out, other times not so much.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:05 AM

The interior isn't bad, just not as striking as the exterior.

Which can be a good thing sometimes. That over-styled Camaro IP would be just too much to look at after a while, those weird shapes. I like clean and simple, it wears well, and the current Challenger interior is that for me, if a little bit cheap looking in places.

I don't think I'd spend another $10-15K on a car like this, no matter how much more power it has. $50K is already getting up there, the platform is aging, and it's a little too big to fling about. Above the current price just seems like a bit too much for this muscle car (or maybe, just for me). The thing with the GT500 Super Snake is that, while it's expensive, it handles very well too and has a bit more of that fear factor. That becomes more important to me when the car begins to get really expensive.

I also like the simplicity of a nice, big, naturally aspirated engine, and this one has a wide enough power band and good torque down low. The skip shift eliminator would be a nice addition, and it's cheap and easy to do.

What I want from a muscle car is simple and bulletproof. More stuff=more stuff that'll break. I've already owned a supercharged car and, yes, the whine and power were amazing, but there were some durability issues and I'm not sure I want to go down that road again.

Thinking I might just buy a 2013 model sometime after the first of the new year. Probably leave it stock with the exception of the Mopar lowering springs.

Last edited by Flygirl; 12-23-2012 at 02:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific > 6.4L / 392ci (2011 - ?)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.