Buy now or wait for 2014? - Page 3 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#21 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 06:45 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
From reading all the replies here and your responses to them, I feel you have your answer. Like so many here, I fell in love with the '70 Challenger and though I lusted after other muscle cars of the era, I am a Mopar nut so there really wasn't a better car. At the time, I wasn't old enough to drive and by the time I could, there was NOTHING worth wanting other than for transportation. Then of course, life happened; kids, saving for college, weddings, divorce (for me anyway), etc, etc. In the midst of all that, Chrysler announced and then introduced new Challenger. When I saw them on a lot or going down the road, I used to drool all over my car windows. Now that I have one, I just drool all over myself.

In my opinion, if you have the means, buy a '13. As you and many others have stated AND what I have heard and read, there will be a SC HEMI in '14 and some possible body tweaks. There will always be a slightly faster, slightly better looking (possibly) car out there, but for me, this Challenger is it!

I personally believe this current Challenger can't be improved upon for looks. Yes, it is getting long in the tooth in styling but it is SO classic! Yes, we are heavier than the gagmaro or moustang, but we ride better, are more comfortable and have more room. Yes, we are slower in the 1/4 and top end but put us in a line up with the others and I can guarantee which car people will stare at and desire. I've had three now and couldn't be happier.

Good luck in your search and purchase and I believe the only problem you have now is which color!!

Cheap; fast; reliable: you can only choose two

Last edited by Tony Queen; 12-23-2012 at 06:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#22 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 07:10 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Queen View Post
From reading all the replies here and your responses to them, I feel you have your answer. Like so many here, I fell in love with the '70 Challenger and though I lusted after other muscle cars of the era, I am a Mopar nut so there really wasn't a better car. At the time, I wasn't old enough to drive and by the time I could, there was NOTHING worth wanting other than for transportation. Then of course, life happened; kids, saving for college, weddings, divorce (for me anyway), etc, etc. In the midst of all that, Chrysler announced and then introduced new Challenger. When I saw them on a lot or going down the road, I used to drool all over my car windows. Now that I have one, I just drool all over myself.

In my opinion, if you have the means, buy a '13. As you and many others have stated AND what I have heard and read, there will be a SC HEMI in '14 and some possible body tweaks. There will always be a slightly faster, slightly better looking (possibly) car out there, but for me, this Challenger is it!

I personally believe this current Challenger can't be improved upon for looks. Yes, it is getting long in the tooth in styling but it is SO classic! Yes, we are heavier than the gagmaro or moustang, but we ride better, are more comfortable and have more room. Yes, we are slower in the 1/4 and top end but put us in a line up with the others and I can guarantee which car people will stare at and desire. I've had three now and couldn't be happier.

Good luck in your search and purchase and I believe the only problem you have now is which color!!
I could NOT have said it better my friend.

TorRed SE Model purchased: 2/05/09 (gone but not forgotten)
TorRed R/T Classic ordered: 4/06/13
R/T Classic born on: 6/04/13
R/T Classic delivered on: 6/21/13
Mods installed:
Mopar CAI
RiderGraphix spoiler graphic
Skip-to-shift eliminator
Cursive Challenger on grille
Engine Cover air brush painted
Billet under the hood stuff
MOPAR door sills

Member of Frederick Scat Pack
#23 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 05:33 PM

Buy it now, trade it in on a '14/15 if they turn out to be vastly better. I ordered a '13 and can barely handle the wait as it is. You can be stylin' in your '13 while you make the decision instead of slumming with the common herd waiting to see what may or may not be worth getting. (Immediate gratification is my motto)
#24 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kewl View Post
Buy it now, trade it in on a '14/15 if they turn out to be vastly better.
This is one philosophy and is perfectly legitimate. However Flygirl specifically mentioned that this to be a long term proposition. Also mentioned is a desire fore a shaker hood. I say wait just a little longer for the 2014 model to break cover. Of course that's just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions!
#25 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 07:11 PM

Get a '13. Yeah there's going to be a 6.2 SC in '14 but that's going to be a huge price jump, a good comparison would be the Camaro SS and ZL1, your talking a $15,000 dollar difference. Odds are it will be similar with our 6.2 SC. If you have that extra money to spend ~$60,000 on the new challenger then wait. If your budget won't allow for that then you have an already amazing opportunity right now with the 2013 SRT8

• 2012 Challenger SXT+ (Traded in on 11/30/12)
  • 2014 Dodge Charger R/T
  • 2012 Harley Davidson Road King
#26 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 12:56 PM

The one change i would assume they are going to make on the new challenger is the updated electronics like we see on the current chargers. Everything else like a 8 speed is not a deal breaker for me personally as i love the current version of the challenger. All i can say to the op is wait till March then order your car. 2012's are selling for 38-39k now used that's one hell of a great vehicle for that price imo.
#27 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 01:26 PM

If you can afford or might be able to afford the price of the 6.2 SC then wait for the 14s. Because even then if you decide you don't want it or can't get it for whatever reason you can probably get a leftover '13 discounted.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App
#28 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 09:36 AM

(Thread Starter)
Thanks, guys. If the '14 were going to have a naturally aspirated 426, I think I'd wait. Shaker hood that's not fiberglass, too, I would wait.

8-speed isn't a factor because I'd get the manual.

Body styling—yes, it has been around for a while, but I think it's kind of timeless, and is aging well in my opinion.

The interior is bland but sometimes that ages well, too.

I don't want to spend a lot more money for even more engine. That's getting too rich for me.

Not super worried about a bit of extra weight and how it has an effect on 1/4 mile times. It's heresy, I know, but I will likely never drag race my car.

I would never, ever get a Camaro, so that's not an issue. Would definitely consider a next generation Mustang, but...well, Ford styling is often a near miss in my opinion. And I wouldn't want a first or second year model of that car.

This is the only automobile that would make me buy a Chrysler product; too many changes and I don't know if I would anymore.

I'm working out the financial side of it, thinking at this point that I'd buy a '13 sometime in Spring.

It would be great to see more about the '14, though, so I'm going to take that advice and hold out just a bit, until we know more.

Last edited by Flygirl; 12-27-2012 at 09:38 AM.
#29 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 11:02 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Pick up a used low mileage 11/12 model this way you can enjoy it now while waiting for the 14s to be announced and if you decided to sell or trade the car you won't take the financial hit of having bought new.

2012 SRT 392 Challenger auto stock 12:46 @ 112
2012 5.0 Mustang, Brembo Package
2010 LS3 Camaro, cammed 12:20 @ 116
2004 SVT Cobra
1986 GT Ed Curtis built 347ci, 11:20s motor, 10:30s 100-shot

#30 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 11:28 AM

Wait til Spring. The 2014 details will be known and new 13s will still be avail. Plus, pcp, h/o, torred,and sublime will be coming!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific > 6.4L / 392ci (2011 - ?)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode