Dodge Challenger Forum banner

It Finally Happened

4K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  Hal H 
#1 · (Edited)
...after more than 2 1/2 years....5,600 miles....& 3 oil changes... my first "Change Oil" light went on!:blueblob:

#4 ·
From the threads title, I thought something bad happened. Good to see it wasn't the case. How many oil changes have been done and at what mileages? Mine went off at around 2500 and the first change was done at 1600 miles but based on time the car was only 5 months old.

#6 ·
I believe the oil change indicator is based on an algorithm based on time & how the car is driven, not actual oil quality.

My car doesn't have that function at all (base 27F car). I change based on miles.

#7 ·
But...OH MY GOD...what oil are you going to use, 5w40 or 0w40? :)

#9 · (Edited)
Op, when was the last time you changed your oil and tell us about how you drive it. A5 or m6?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Last oil change was June 5 @ 4,743 miles.
M6. I drive like a normal adult human on the street:respect:, & never tracked it.

#10 · (Edited)
What I have learned over time at a few different schools was oil life monitoring systems base the indicator light on engine revolutions, temperature and driving time. They use a formula with those factors and that indicates when to change your oil. Some manufacturers actually key ignition cycles into the equation as well. How many times the vehicle has been turned on and off.

#11 ·
There's no oil quality sensor in the Chrysler engines - other makes have them but not on Chrysler. We have oil PSI and oil temp sensors and that's pretty much it.

The other makes can measure oil level and also conductivity (fresh oil=less conductive, older oil=more conductive) along with the parameters of duty cycle, elapsed hours, miles driven, oil temps, etc to determine oil quality and life remaining until next change.

#13 ·
Oh, man, I feel like a knucklehead. I've had my SRT8 for 14 months and haven't changed the oil yet, because I only have 1900 miles on it. I guess it's time for a Royal Purple drinky-poo.

#19 ·
You don't have to change the oil any more often than manual indicates for mileage, the dealer cannot void a warranty because you didn't change it twice a year. You shouldn't have to change oil but once a year.

If all we had was an oil pressure indicator, the reminder wouldn't reset itself when oil is changed and no procedure is done to clear the notification. Twice I've changed oil after the reminder came on without going to the dealer to do so, and immediately after the oil was changed the reminder turned itself off. I'm pretty sure its more than just a pressure sensor. I think the mileage has something to do with the equation, as when I got it new, the light came on after 2000 miles, then next at 7500 miles, then 15000 miles. Didn't seem to matter how long it took to amass the miles.

#20 ·
Uh...WHAT?!!:yikes:
I think you're confused. Oil Change Indicator has nothing to do with Oil Pressure Guage, & if you don't reset it (Indicator), it won't reset itself.

#22 · (Edited)
Trust me, jiffy lube hasn't got a clue on how to reset the reminder when they change oil. And when you change the oil, the reminder DOES go away without resetting it.

We have oil PSI and oil temp sensors and that's pretty much it.
My comment was directed at this statement. I disagree with it. The reminder doesn't come up at a specific mileage, mine has come on at various mileage levels, the only time it came up sooner was the initial notification. After that it had to do with how much I drove it, sometimes it was 1k or 2k over the recommended change interval. I'm one of those that doesn't change his oil every three/six months, I tend to wait for 7k to 10k miles before I do mine, unless the indicator says its time, and I'm taking it in for routine maintenance to fulfill warranty concerns. Oil quality has improved significantly since the 60s, and using synthetics allows longer intervals between changes safely. I have yet to have an engine fail due to oil quality, and only had one that broke because of poor oil pressure, the original 440 in my 69, and it died because the pump shaft snapped when the oil pickup allowed a small piece of Teflon from the timing chain gear to get sucked up into the pump.

#23 ·
Trust me, jiffy lube hasn't got a clue on how to reset the reminder when they change oil. And when you change the oil, the reminder DOES go away without resetting it.

My comment was directed at this statement. I disagree with it. The reminder doesn't come up at a specific mileage, mine has come on at various mileage levels, the only time it came up sooner was the initial notification. After that it had to do with how much I drove it, sometimes it was 1k or 2k over the recommended change interval. I'm one of those that doesn't change his oil every three/six months, I tend to wait for 7k to 10k miles before I do mine, unless the indicator says its time, and I'm taking it in for routine maintenance to fulfill warranty concerns. Oil quality has improved significantly since the 60s, and using synthetics allows longer intervals between changes safely. I have yet to have an engine fail due to oil quality, and only had one that broke because of poor oil pressure, the original 440 in my 69, and it died because the pump shaft snapped when the oil pickup allowed a small piece of Teflon from the timing chain gear to get sucked up into the pump.

Interesting! This is from the Owner's Manual re the "Change Oil' light...

"Unless reset, this message will continue to display each
time you turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN
position or cycle the ignition to the ON/RUN position if
equipped with Keyless Enter-N-Go."

And being that you also disagree with the statement...
"We have oil PSI and oil temp sensors", leads me to believe that you own a very unique Challenger!:yesnod:

#24 ·
actually its very easy to reset on Chrysler vehicles - they've had this procedure for a number of years. To special tools or computer required.

Ignition on (don't start engine) - full depress and release accelerator pedal 3x within 10 seconds...turn ignition off.
It states how to do this in the owner's manual as well.

The way to check this is ignition on, (don't start engine) after all warning lights/chimes complete cycle [~8-10 seconds] if there's no single chime and no "Oil Change Required" or "Engine Service Required" the system was reset.

Its likely the oil change guys did this process before starting the engine and driving the car out of the service bay. Its pretty quick to do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.