Dodge Challenger Forum banner

First oil change

3K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  mikeychallenger 
#1 ·
About to do my first oil change on my 15 SRT392. Anything I should know or look out for before attempting? I don't trust the dealers around here in southern California...also I remember reading something about how not all the oil drains?

#2 ·
I never had problems draining all the oil out of my 2009 (5.7L) or my 2015 (6.4L). Don't jack it up too high in the front.

Remove the splash pan to access the drain bolt & filter. I use a piece of cardboard to direct the flow of oil downward into my drain pan. The oil comes out really fast.

The first oil filter was really hard to get off the 2009, but was easy on the 2015. Maybe the oil cooler made the difference (the filter is screwed onto the cooler, not the block like the 5.7). Make sure the filter gasket doesn't stick to the oil cooler.

Don't tighten the drain bolt too tight. I use 25 ft-lb of torque (yes I use a torque wrench). And the splash pan bolts only take about 30 inch-pounds. If you drive in poor weather a lot, put some grease on the threads of the splash pan bolts.

#6 ·
You really should not rely solely on a hydraulic jack with a 4,300 pound car hanging over your body.

Do yourself a favor and get a proper set of ramps and then use the jack as a safety measure should something go wrong.

Aside from that, the advice above is sound.

#7 ·
I have a set of race ramps. I drain the oil until it is dripping and then replace the drain plug hand tight. I wait about 30 min and remove the plug and get about 3/4 of a quart more out. I have a garage so the wait is no big deal and I like to get as much of the old oil out as I can.

#9 ·
I simply jack up the passenger side which allows the oil to run towards the drain plug and then place a safety stand under it. Then remove the plastic cover and change the filter and drain/refill the oil.
It's surprisingly easy to do an oil change on these cars compared to most new models.

#10 ·
Only thing I can add to what has already been said is: buy a metal oil filter socket. I found a Fram one that fit perfectly at Wally World: I just took the Mo-899 out of the box and matched it up to the sockets on the shelf. Don't try to rely on the band type as, yes they will work, but they're just harder to maneuver under there. The socket will give you the grip you need to get off the factory installed filter too.

I don't see anything wrong with jacking it up (if you're going to use stands). No different from ramps: just more trouble. But they'll get the job done.

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.