Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Jeep 392 vs Challenger 392

23K views 102 replies 40 participants last post by  Mongoose9400 
#1 ·
A dealer friend told he was selling jeep srt's like hot cakes then began to explain that those jeeps are faster than our cars...I serious doubt that with the weight I know it has 4 wheel drive. Way do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

#40 ·
Yeah, but the trap speeds are quite different. Quick versus fast.

While I don't consider car magazine times the law of the land, I think it is fair to compare times of different cars from the same magazine, and they are not getting very good times out of the new Jeeps. Even though the 6 speed Challengers are only posting 12.9-13.0, the trap speeds are anywhere from 110-114.

#41 ·
Yes trap will be lower, in the low triple digits for a stock jeep. 100-105 area for a bone stock 2012 jeep that is running 13-13.3 area. Lighter car and better aero will net a higher trap om the challenger, charger or 300. The jeep has the traction and gearing advantage, but will see lower trap even though times are within a few tenths. I still think a fully functional suv that can tow, hau cargo, carry 5 people and still run low 13's bone stock and out handle and out brake most high performance cars on the road is pretty badass.

#42 ·
I agree it is badass, and I think it's great they built some "utility" into the newest Jeep SRT8s. For my money though, I will gladly take one of the other SRT8s. I guess that's why they make different ones :)

I was not aware it out-braked and out-handled most high-performance cars on the road though.

#45 ·
.88-.90g on th skid pad depending whaich test you look at
106-116 foot braking from 60 depending what test you look at
4.5-4.8 0-60 time depending what test you look at

Not a lot of trucks let alone cars that can compete with all three numbers

As an example The 392 challenger is about the same 0-60, close on the skidpad, but worse on the braking.

#51 ·
Do it. Viper rules all. :) My dream car!!

not doubting that at al - all i'm saying is that a 392 Challenger would run the jeep down and beat it to the traps...

101mph trap speed is not very exciting at the track, unless it's in a pontoon boat :laugh:

impressive, but no really enough to bea a lighter car with the esaame engine :scatter:
I don't think anyone is arguing with those points. ;) But, sometimes there's more to it than just a 1/4 mile time.

I ran 11.6 in my R/T Challenger with a 125 shot ... less than $30k in the car and nitrous to run mid-11's vs. $65k for the Jeep. But, you can't tow with it or have a practical back seat for kids, or have tons of cargo room for traveling, etc.

Why not embrace the SRT SUV sibling? I don't get the bashing by everyone. Even before I had the Jeep, I respected it and thought it was awesome it existed.

#54 ·
The challenger has less features/options than the updated lx or jeep, I think that does keep the cost a little lower. Also the jeep and 300 have vastly updated interiors which cost a bit more to build than the challenger.

#56 ·
The question is, are you going to do anything to that badboy of a Jeep there lisa? Can't believe you got rid of the Abarth!

I mean heck, so far on mine, new engine. Drivers side rocker panel is coming unglued. Tach needle sticks. Still a fun car to drive though.

#60 ·
rscarawa: What you say is definitely true. However did you notice on the new "special deals for SRT owners" flyer that $3000 off is for the 300 SRT. Nothing is offered on the Challenger SRT (except 2012 models). They do offer some off for all the other SRT's. That tells me they are not having great difficulty now selling the Challenger SRTs.

#62 ·
I did not hear of this offer but you bring up an obvious point that I neglected to. The prices I posted were MSRP, also known as asking price. Now what people are actually paying could be a totally different story. If they are offering $3k discounts off the cuff, then I agree that they would not do that unless they either over built or cannot sell them.

I wonder if they have a hard time selling the Jeeps? $60k seems like a crap load of cash. For that money, I can buy an SRT Challenger and get a used truck that probably tows better than the Jeep. To be honest, I have never seen one on the street but I have seen plenty of SRT Chargers and Challengers. I have even seen a handful of STR8 300s.

#65 ·
rscarawa: There is quite a difference based on where you buy the car and how much bickering you want to do to get it. When I bought my 392 Challenger the two local dealers would not hardly budge. Went to Little Rock and stole it in my opinion. Price was right but dealership personality stunk, loaded for 41,500. I couldn't get the local guys below 45,000. Locally they will deal considerably with the Chargers. Don't know about the GC. I will tell you that I have talked to several guys that paid over MSRP for their Challengers...that was not a starter for me. I guess some dealerships are good at reading people rather well. Oh one other thing the Little Rock dealer had a bunch of 392's (5 if I remember right) when I bought mine so I'm sure that also made a difference.

#66 · (Edited)
The $57,9 price is with options close to mine. The MSRP in Canada for a SRT Challenger is around $49,5.

6 speeds $2000
Sunroof is $1250
Stereo package = $1500

etc... it adds up

The price I posted without haggleing. Just walk in and say I want that now. I'm sure there might be some wiggle room, but that wouldn't be a true representation of the price due to one's negotiating skills.

Also I live in and work in the oil industry. You think the prices for a Challenger are bad, you should price out an fully loaded FX4 Ford F-150 truck here. Generally around $62,000.

Sometime where you live and disposable income influences the prices greatly. Our economy is in a little better shape due to our oil resources. 6 figures is not uncommon for ticketed skilled trade workers, which in turn helps the rest of the businesses as you have a little extra cash to spend. Furniture, houses, restaurants etc... it trickles down to the rest of the businesses not directly involved with oil.

#67 ·
I really liked the 1st generation SRT Jeeps....I drove a 2012 Jeep at VIR last July and was not impressed with handling....we did 2 laps around the course and was happy when it ended....they asked me if I wanted to do a couple more laps and I said no thank you....the Jeep was unstable at high speed thru the curves....I could hear the stabilty control system clicking constantly in the curves trying keep the Jeep stable..

IMO the 2nd generation Jeep SRT is a great daily with some awesome power.....but not so good as the 1st generation for modding and taking to the track...

#69 ·
Never drove the 1st GEN Jeep, but I drove 2012 Jeep at the SRT Track Exp. I really felt no love driving it. Extremely floaty experience compared to the other SRT's. For 5500 pounds I guess I can say it handled well for its size? (sex joke in there some where)

#71 ·
If you expect the Jeep to compete in handling with a 2-door car, then you will be disappointed. No one is saying it's a Challenger killer ... that's never been the intent. But if you look at the GC SRT realistically and just appreciate that there is a MOPAR vehicle that has room of an SUV, power of the other SRT cars, bigger brakes, ability to tow and darn good looks, then it's a pretty nice ride. Until the Jeep SRT came out, only the big 3 German car makers had performance SUVs, so I think it's pretty sweet we have one.

#74 ·
really kicking myself in the rear for not getting the wife a GC SRT when I got my challenger. We got a '12 GC Overland but after the SRT Track experience, I'm really wishing we had spent the extra $10K for the SRT.
The GC SRT was by far the funniest thing to drive in both the 1/8th and the high speed road course.
To me, the Charger SRT & 300 SRT were very similar but the GC SRT gave me the biggest grin.

Reactions: SRT8U
#78 ·
The 392 Jeep will have no chance in the quarter-mile or even on the autocross in my opinion. The 392 Jeep runs between mid to high 13's while the Challenger runs between 12.3-12.9. Keep in mind 4 tenths of a second difference at 100 plus MPH in a race is a pure a$$ whipping. So with that being said the Challenger is a lot faster in the quarter. Which is faster regarding autocross? Most will assume the Jeep do to it AWD. AWD drive helps but there are other factors that are more in favor of the challenger. 1. Power to weight ratio is better in the challenger, plus the chally has 5 more ponies lol 470 versus 465. 2. The lower stance helps a bit as well in the chilly. 3. Give the challenger some stickier rubber that of the jeep and the jeep really has no chance. The Jeep would be far easier to drive on a autocross but not faster in my opinion. This has yet to be proven in a match up but on paper the only advantage the Jeep has is AWD and you would need more then that to beat a car with less weight and more ponies (slightly).

#79 · (Edited)
Its very fun to drive to say the least, but its no Challenger and I am speaking from 6.1 jeep experience. I know its not the 392 but Im sure with weight to power ratio it cant be that much of difference IMP. The jeep is "Power with Training wheels" AWD, 465hp, and it stops relatively well. The launch is nice in the Jeeps but its not how you start its how yo finish. You have to drive a Challenger, a Jeep drives you.

#80 ·
The Jeep is Awesome to say the least. A Jeep running mid to high 13's in a quarter is great for what it is. Please remember and I've said this before in a previous post 4 to 5 tenths is huge in drag racing at a 100 plus mph. Thats 3 maybe 4 car lengths. People spend Thousands in add-ons to get 3-4 tenths of their quarter mile time.

#81 ·
I feel like with the SRT8 Jeep you are paying 25,000 more then what you would pay for a SRT8 Challenger due to a few more features. With the Jeep you are paying for the sunroof, fancier in-dash features and displays, ride height control, braking cam, extra seats, heated/cooled stirring wheel and seats and AWD. 75 grand geez. So 25k more for these features basically. They need to lower the price, right now 75k is Escalade territory, I mean you could argue the Jeep is smaller but better.

#82 ·
so Tuck, how do you feel about the Jeep? :bigthumb:

Its just me that will never drive an SUV. they are in the same boat as a minivan. not just the jeep, any suv.

if it has 4 doors I dont want it.

#83 ·
I like it inside and out. However, I don't like it 75,000 times lol. Its a all weather vehicle but thats irrelevant if you live in the lower half of the United States. I like the front fascia, the interior is definitely on par with the guys across the water. All in all I love my Challenger because it will never get old and will be 3 maybe 4 times more worth then the jeep years down the road.

#90 ·
I like it inside and out. However, I don't like it 75,000 times lol. Its a all weather vehicle but thats irrelevant if you live in the lower half of the United States. I like the front fascia, the interior is definitely on par with the guys across the water. All in all I love my Challenger because it will never get old and will be 3 maybe 4 times more worth then the jeep years down the road.
I think they are nice vehicles, just not for me. if I want to play in the snow I will drive one of my 4x4 trucks.

Can not get past the soccor mom stigma and they really are the new station wagon.

#87 ·
WHEN YOU SAID AUTO-CROSS I DONT KNOW WHY I WAS THINKING SOMETHING ALONG THE LINES OF LAGUNA SECA. Im not at all knocking the Jeep by all means. I actually seriously looked at a limited 1-500 Alpine white one with blacked out decals and wheels about a week ago. Regarding auto-cross and the track experience, you really cant use it as a guideline IMP due to the fact that most participants are everyday people less then rookies regarding any type of racing especially anything besides a straight line. I've been to the SRT track experience in Seattle and quite honestly the 6.1 jeep was loads of fun so I can only imagine 65 more ponies with the 2012's. However, with that more power is more weight. Now if the Pros are saying it is way faster at the SRT track experience auto-cross you were at then I guess to each is own but in my case seeing is believing. I believe if you give the Chally some sticky rubber along with the other advantages the Chally has over the jeep, then the jeep really has no chance. AT THE VERY END OF THE DAY YOU DRIVEN THE 2012 JEEP SRT8 LUCKY BASTARD LOL BUT ON A TRACK SUCH AS LAGUNA SECA HOT LAP FOR HOT LAP WITH SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING BEHIND THE WHEEL, I CANT SEE THE JEEP WINNING. The jeep is easier to drive and people take more risk with it like flooring it in spots they wouldn't in the chally, hence giving some people the impression the Jeep is faster. Make a mistake in the Challenger and find yourself in the weeds, give the Chally good rubber your golden in the same spots you floor the jeep. I have the 5.7 Charger, 6.1 Challenger, and 6.4 Challenger. I've driven every SRT8 vehicle except the Viper, SRT Ram, and the new Jeep so I could only imagine the jeep is slower on a actual auto-cross track.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.