Jeep 392 vs Challenger 392 - Page 3 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#21 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 06:30 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim383 View Post
Heres the SHIPPING wt diff in the ... challengers.
6.4 CHALLENGER 4117 LBS hp/w ratio 8.76

Ha ha! My Challenger's "print out" shows it as having a shipping weight of 4075 lbs (with 8 gallons of fuel): 6spd, Sun roof and SGII.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#22 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 06:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricG View Post
The people say things like "Wow, look at that Jeep go" and I remember thinking yeah, it's just like my car .....only slower LOL

R/T (used to be Cuda Cliff) Bee

1954 Plymouth Savoy
1959 Chevy Apache

"She may not be the youngest gal at the ball ... but she can still turn a head or two"

[/url]

Last edited by R/T Bee; 12-24-2012 at 06:37 PM.
#23 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 07:15 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I have to admit the fun factor of the Jeep wins out and we get way more compliments and interest in the Jeep. Where the Jeep has the edge is when traction conditions are not perfect and that is almost always the case on the street. I would hate to have to sell one or the other but probably I would opt to sell the Challenger and put a SC on the Jeep. I looked at a 392 Jeep but no way am I paying a $20K premium over the original price of the 2010.

2015 Hellcat incoming - sometime - maybe
2009 Challenger SRT8 - staying right here until the Hellcat is delivered.
2010 Jeep GC SRT8
11 GMC Sierra Ext Cab, LB
69 Pontiac Grand Prix 428
#24 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 09:41 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
For what it is... A 5k lb brick... I absolutely love the GC SRT!!! It's a SUV not a sport sedan, sport car, or track car. So in my opinion comparing them to our cars is isn't fair. I have seen a video and timeslips of a bone stock 2012 GC SRT turning 12.9x. I also drove the HELL outta the ones at the SRT experience! A 5klb brick should not accelerate, corner, and stop like it does! We took a long sweeping curve at the track at nearly 90mph... No lean, no tire squeal, jus hard cornering... I was amazed and slightly soiled my shorts. It's sits high and naturally you expect body roll and or to flip over... But it actually begs to be driven hard! The brakes are eyeball popping... And what I really like was launching... Hold the brake mash the go pedal... Release brake! AWD dig in and pins you to the seat!!! Actually I was most impressed by the GC... I expected what I got from the other cars but was pleasantly surprised by the GC.

Sent from my PG86100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

[/URL]MODS: AIRAID cai, Heartthrob cat back, Diablo 91 CAI, 180 T-stat, BT Catch can
The Following User Says Thank You to SR7T1 For This Useful Post:
Speedlogix (12-28-2012)
#25 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 10:07 PM

I agree with the above. I rode with the instructor at the track experience. I just knew the thing was gonna roll, it didn't. I was very impressed. This was at Daytona and much faster than an autocross. Most of us would never dream of throwing it in as hard as he did and the GC didn't protest at all. Don't race one in the mountians with a real driver.
Greg
The Following User Says Thank You to btalon For This Useful Post:
Speedlogix (12-28-2012)
#26 (permalink) Old 12-25-2012, 07:06 AM

The GC must drive like an x5 then. That BMW is a real cornering machine but you would not know it by looking at it.
#27 (permalink) Old 12-25-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8srt8 View Post
Ha ha! My Challenger's "print out" shows it as having a shipping weight of 4075 lbs (with 8 gallons of fuel): 6spd, Sun roof and SGII.
The 4117 was auto trans.

2014 JEEP CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK
#28 (permalink) Old 12-25-2012, 11:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscarawa View Post
That BMW is a real cornering machine
that's been the BMW M.O. since the beginning of time
#29 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ja4wick View Post
A dealer friend told he was selling jeep srt's like hot cakes then began to explain that those jeeps are faster than our cars...I serious doubt that with the weight I know it has 4 wheel drive. Way do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Selling like hot cakes don't think so. These vehicles in Canada will set you back 65k plus tax's. Not to be a smart azz but at the end of the day you own a jeep not a challenger. No thanks.
#30 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 02:03 PM

I did not know it was 4wd. Just the fact that it is 4 wheel drive puts it at a disadvantage in a drag race. WIth motors being the same, now you have more weight, more inertia and more drag. 4wd can be an advantage in first or second gear, but that is usually where the advantage ends for drag racing. Sometimes 4wd can make a good road coarse car in tight race tracks too. WIth 4wd, you need mega torque to take advantage of it. Otherwise, it is a penalty.

FYI, there was a post on the SRT thread asking the engineers about an awd version of the Challenger. They said the prototyped it but it was slower since the motor could not overcome the extra weight compared to the standard srt.

Last edited by rscarawa; 12-26-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific > 6.4L / 392ci (2011 - ?)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode