Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Jeep 392 vs Challenger 392

23K views 102 replies 40 participants last post by  Mongoose9400 
#1 ·
A dealer friend told he was selling jeep srt's like hot cakes then began to explain that those jeeps are faster than our cars...I serious doubt that with the weight I know it has 4 wheel drive. Way do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

#92 ·
Even though the new one has the 392, I would take a Gen 1 Jeep SRT8 over it, anyday. Lighter, cheaper, and SOOO much better looking than Gen 2. Can be made to go fast if you really want it to.

The Challenger is a totally different car, and isn't fair to compare them equally IMO.

#93 ·
Never thought about a Jeep SRT really, but I have to admit I'm shocked at the $61K base MSRP! That's a ton of money more than a Challenger or even a 300 SRT. Few years ago Chevy had a 400HP Trail Blazer SS for mid-30s, which seemed like a pretty good deal. But $61K for a Jeep, I don't care how fast it is, that's a ton of money for "just a Jeep". Not sure what the actual selling price is,

I know the Challenger SRTs in my area are closer to invoice than MSRP, so maybe the Jeep isn't that much in reality. But even so, I'd never pay it. Then again, a few years ago I thought paying $45K for a Challenger was ridiculous, and now I'm driving one that cost me $46K!

#94 · (Edited)
So I have been on vacation for a week, glad to see this topic still going. Car and driver's lightning lap issue is out, the challenger posted a 3:09, the jeep a 3:17, which is slower than a lot of cars that you probably don't want me to mention ...including a V6 mustang. Granted a mustang does very well in that setting and cannot do repeated laps like a SRT vehicle can, but still. I do like suvs though and own a used Lexus GX470, way better than submitimg to a minivan.

#96 ·
This really is an interesting thread. I guess I could argue that you can make a Pinto/Vega go real fast...but I don't want either one. I too suffer from the 4 door, soccer car, new station wagon syndrome. I guess they are nice just not for me. I know there's a couple of fella's on the SSR forum that have supercharged SSr's pulling in 10's, and that's on a 5000lb vehicle. So everybody has a sleeper of some kind. The real question here is if the SRT Jeep is worth the money. If money is not a factor...it doesn't matter. BUT now you guys have me wanting to try one out. I'll never buy it though...can't get past the 4 doors.

#97 ·
This really is an interesting thread. I guess I could argue that you can make a Pinto/Vega go real fast...but I don't want either one. I too suffer from the 4 door, soccer car, new station wagon syndrome. I guess they are nice just not for me. I know there's a couple of fella's on the SSR forum that have supercharged SSr's pulling in 10's, and that's on a 5000lb vehicle. So everybody has a sleeper of some kind. The real question here is if the SRT Jeep is worth the money. If money is not a factor...it doesn't matter. BUT now you guys have me wanting to try one out. I'll never buy it though...can't get past the 4 doors.

me too!!! my parents had a 1969 plymouth 9 passenger station wagon with a 383 magnum in it. it reminds me
of the current SUVs. A car my mother would buy.

#100 ·
Who wouldn't want to haul ass up a mountain to the ski slopes in a Jeep SRT8. I'll race your challenger to the top of a snowy mountain in my 4wd Jeep with butt warmers and heated steering wheel ;-)

Every vehicle has a purpose, some don't get a Jeep SRT8, but really, it's a great all around vehicle. Plus is quick too...

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
why would I drive my challenger up a moutain to ski slopes when I have 2 4x4 rams?

keep your station wagon and enjoy it. I have the butt warmers too, so all is good.

#99 ·
I would definitely get a used Jeep 6.1 or 392.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#102 ·
The Jeep might have us off the line but not for long. Our 392's are a little more aerodynamic, we share around the same weight though they are definitely above us and like the old jeeps they slow down a **** ton after about 80 mph. On top of that the automatic gives away a little bit of power. Brother owns one, and we've more than done our comparisons. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.