Looking for advice on ordering an srt. - Page 2 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

Auto Insurance

Wheel & Tire Center

» Featured Product
Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific > 6.4L / 392ci (2011 - ?)

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 06:57 PM

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
It's totally driver preference. I went with the 6 speed because I enjoy shifting, and makes the overall experience much more exciting. I drive every day, year round, and don't mind shifting. Try both and see which you prefer.

I went with the sunroof because it's nice to have open, along with the windows on a beautiful day. I will say this, a sunroof really lightens up the otherwise drag and dark interior that these cars have.

On a muscle car I ordinarily would get a sun roof, but my car is black and it hides it very well.
AFE Stage II cold air intake
Barton short throw shifter
Fastman ported throttle body
Diablo CMR tune by Johan
Mopar hood struts
Mopar strut tower brace
Spohn sway bar end links
Razor's Edge tension arms
Jet 180* t-stat
SRT8 6.1 chin spoiler
Billet Technology catch can
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 08:14 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Originally Posted by R/T_6Speed View Post
it will also be cheaper.
On the '11 and up SRT8s, the auto is now the $995 option. The 6spd is now the standard tranny...
Old 11-19-2012, 01:58 AM

I don''t think you can go wrong either way. I have driven an auto for the last 8 years, one Z-28 and one GTO. I bought the auto for the wife. I always regretted not buying a stick...particularly in the GTO. So, when I made up my mind to buy the 392, I was dead set on the 6 speed. It is a blast to drive, and the easiest stick I have ever driven. Glad I did it. Now, with that said...ask me again in a year or two of city driving. But right now...I would not have an auto.

It's all personal preference. My advice, like other members, would be to drive both and order the one you like best.

"All I need is cigarettes, guitars and Gasoline!" - Travis Tritt
Old 11-19-2012, 02:33 AM

Thanked 1,041 Times in 622 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to Toxic11 Send a message via AIM to Toxic11
It's nothing more than preference. From a performance stand point, there is no human alive that can shift the stick consistently in 25 Milliseconds like the auto does. The stick cars also have a lot more Torque Management.

On a road course, out of the box (stock) the stick you can hold any gear you want, as long as you want. On the SRT Auto's they will also hold gears very well in manual mode, but they will upshift to the next gear at the top of the redline. If you add a Trinity you can stop the auto from upshifting so honestly at that point to me, it's just a clutchless stick.

I've owned stick cars and they are fun, but I drive my auto in manual 100% of the time and I've never once felt like I've been "missing out" on anything.

On the highway the 6th gear is real nice in a six speed stick, I do miss the 6th gear at times when I'd like to turn super low RPM at freeway speed, that's the only part I miss.

2011 Toxic Orange

2015 SRT Hellcat on order with Bob Frederick (Billet Silver, Sepia Languna)

2011-2029 A Sparkly Moose Beaver Production

www.toxic11.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Toxic11 For This Useful Post:
Maddys013 (11-19-2012)
Old 11-19-2012, 05:17 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I had purchased a 2010 SS Camaro with a stick, and within a week I regretted my decision. Where I live there is a ton of vacationer traffic in the summers, it can sometime take an hour to go 5-miles.

Above and beyond that once I started modifying the car, I ran into launching issues, parts breakage, things the automatic cars were not experiencing. When I purchased my Challenger there was no doubt it was going to be the automatic version. The fact that it is faster in the 1/4 and stoplight to stoplight is icing on the cake. If I want to bang gears I can still use the paddle shifters, or slap stick. IMO the best of both worlds.
2012 SRT 392 Challenger auto stock 12:46 @ 112
2012 5.0 Mustang, Brembo Package
2010 LS3 Camaro, cammed 12:20 @ 116
2004 SVT Cobra
1986 GT Ed Curtis built 347ci, 11:20s motor, 10:30s 100-shot

Old 11-19-2012, 06:59 AM

Photos: (6)
Originally Posted by gr8srt8 View Post
On the '11 and up SRT8s, the auto is now the $995 option. The 6spd is now the standard tranny...
Yes, I'm aware of that and I wasn't referring to the cost of the transmission I was referring to the cost to go fast with a 6 speed compared to an auto. Six speed cars are brutal on things like drive shafts and axles. The cost of upgrading axles alone can easily be over $2,000.

Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
Above and beyond that once I started modifying the car, I ran into launching issues, parts breakage, things the automatic cars were not experiencing.
^ this is what I was referring to when I said less expensive, not the cost on the dealer sticker.

'10 R/T 6 Speed // Magnuson Supercharged @ 8lbs // Hurst //
Areoforce duals // 0ther warranty voiding parts //

Last edited by R/T_6Speed; 11-19-2012 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Added Newmoon's quote
The Following User Says Thank You to R/T_6Speed For This Useful Post:
Maddys013 (11-19-2012)
Old 11-20-2012, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
I had purchased a 2010 SS Camaro with a stick, and within a week I regretted my decision. Where I live there is a ton of vacationer traffic in the summers, it can sometime take an hour to go 5-miles.

Above and beyond that once I started modifying the car, I ran into launching issues, parts breakage, things the automatic cars were not experiencing. When I purchased my Challenger there was no doubt it was going to be the automatic version. The fact that it is faster in the 1/4 and stoplight to stoplight is icing on the cake. If I want to bang gears I can still use the paddle shifters, or slap stick. IMO the best of both worlds.
When I started getting serious about trading the GTO for a new car, I had pretty much decided it was going to be either an SRT or an SS. I test drove both one Saturday afternoon, and really enjoyed both. It was a toss-up at first. I chose the Challenger for numerous reasons, but one was the ease of the clutch compared to the one in the Camaro. I had a hard time finding the sweet spot in the SS. No doubt I would have gotten used to it, but I found the Challenger one of the easiest clutches I have ever driven. It's more fun than a chore.

Yes the OBX traffic can be a real ***** in the summmer...particularly if going to Duck or futher north on a Saturday or Sunday! I try to get down there a couple times a year and stay at the Cavalier for a long weekend or two. I'm only about 2 hours away in Va. Next to the OC in Maryland, it's my favorite place

Last edited by Chazz; 11-20-2012 at 02:23 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:52 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Originally Posted by Chazz View Post
When I started getting serious about trading the GTO for a new car, I had pretty much decided it was going to be either an SRT or an SS. I test drove both one Saturday afternoon, and really enjoyed both. It was a toss-up at first. I chose the Challenger for numerous reasons, but one was the ease of the clutch compared to the one in the Camaro. I had a hard time finding the sweet spot in the SS. No doubt I would have gotten used to it, but I found the Challenger one of the easiest clutches I have ever driven. It's more fun than a chore.

Yes the OBX traffic can be a real ***** in the summmer...particularly if going to Duck or futher north on a Saturday or Sunday! I try to get down there a couple times a year and stay at the Cavalier for a long weekend or two. I'm only about 2 hours away in Va. Next to the OC in Maryland, it's my favorite place
Chazz,
Next time you are down let me know. I live in Manteo and we get the wall to wall traffic here as well especially on rainy or overcast days.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by R/T_6Speed View Post
Yes, I'm aware of that and I wasn't referring to the cost of the transmission I was referring to the cost to go fast with a 6 speed compared to an auto. Six speed cars are brutal on things like drive shafts and axles. The cost of upgrading axles alone can easily be over $2,000.

^ this is what I was referring to when I said less expensive, not the cost on the dealer sticker.
That's why mine will remain stock.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:26 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to electricmarquis Send a message via Skype™ to electricmarquis
I love the big heavy automatic muscle car feel coupled with a comfortable seat. Reminds me of the driving feel of my buddies old 1978 T/A. I switched to automatics for the last 5-6 vehicles I owned. Will never go back.

The NAG1 is a very stout trans also. From what I hear it can take alot of abuse.

Bring back Pontiac and the T/A!!!!

Last edited by electricmarquis; 11-20-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific > 6.4L / 392ci (2011 - ?)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.