Looking for advice on ordering an srt. - Page 3 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#21 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 01:11 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I prefer the 6 speed, most cars Ive owned I have had manuals and the autos I have had, I have always wished it was a manual. Just a preference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#22 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddys013 View Post
Not sure whether to go 6 spd or auto. Will mostly be a daily driver with a super short commute interspersed with a 500-1000 mile round trip almost monthly.

6 spd seems like a lot of shifting. Do you leave it in 4th around town? Do you jump a few gears to get it to 6th sometimes?

Likely won't bother with the sunroof or Harmon Kardon. Any other thoughts on what you like or don't like would be appreciated.
The transmission depends on personal preference. I bought the automatic and love it. Also, with the automatic you get the autoshift feature which enables you to shift gears manually, either with the shift handle or the paddle shifters. You get the best of both worlds.

I bought the sunroof and like it. I haven't had any problems with it sticking open or closed and no problems with it leaking either.

Don't waste your money with the H-K system. It sounds good, but it's not worth $2000. Get a quality aftermarket setup instead.

Hope this helps.
#23 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 03:23 PM

Had plenty of automatics and the drive is short for me most the time so I went with the 6 speed, entertains me more, and over all I find it more enjoyable. Sunroof didn't need, but now that I think of it sometimes this car is like a winter cave, could use that extra sunlight. It can be chilly.

IE 2011 392 #102 - SOLD
#24 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
Chazz,
Next time you are down let me know. I live in Manteo and we get the wall to wall traffic here as well especially on rainy or overcast days.
Will do! When it's nice I look for ANY reason to go to the beach It's a nice drive to the OBX if you can beat the traffic on 168/158 from Chesapeake particularly with a sun roof and 6 speed !

In the stable-
2013 GCM SRT8 Challenger, 6 Speed
2006 TorRed Daytona Charger, 5 Speed Auto

"All I need is cigarettes, guitars and Gasoline!" - Travis Tritt
#25 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 02:04 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I went with the 6-speed and am very happy I did. It's a good, solid unit, and although the throws are a tad long, it yields satisfying up and downshifts. My SRT is not a daily driver, however. I live in LA, and if it was driven every day in the maddening congestion my town is famous for, I think shifting it would get pretty old rather quickly. Go with what works best depending on your driving habits and the level of traffic in your area. Also, if you want to drag your car at all, I'd say the auto is a must. Unlike most cars from the past, today's autos with paddle shifters are actually faster than a good old fashioned manual. I used to race cars professionally, and can probably shift quicker than 99% of drivers, but I'm still no match for the 5-speed with paddles at the strip.

As far as a sunroof goes, I got it and so should you. I NEVER open the glass, but pretty much always drive with the shade open. Our cars can feel very tomb-like because of the dark interior and narrow windows. Having the sunroof shade open immensely helps to do away with that effect, and lets a lot of light in. You will regret not having it.

The HK system is a waste of money. I ordered my 2012 SRT on the very first day the order banks were open, and the HK wasn't even an available option yet, so my car came with the standard Boston unit. A few months later, when the HK started shipping on the cars, I went to my dealer to check out how it sounded. Thankfully, I was unimpressed, because if I had liked it, I probably would have had to retro-fit it to my car, because I get like that when I regret not having an upgraded unit. Honestly, for $1900 it should sound a lot better than the standard system, and the reality is that it doesn't. I stuck with the Boston, and have actually become satisfied with its performance. It's not stellar, but it sounds good enough.

Good luck!

- Rob

2012 Challenger SRT8 392 - "Roxy"
Pitch Black, Stripes Delete
6-speed Manual
All Options

MODS:

Mopar Cold Air Intake
Fastman 84mm Throttle Body
Magnaflow 16886 Cat-Back Exhaust
Jet 180° Thermostat
Billet Tech Catch Can
DiabloSport 91 Octane Tune Customized By Sean @ Hemi Fever
Mopar Front Strut Tower Brace
Barton Short Throw Shifter
Mopar Premium Floor Mats
Mopar Premium Trunk Mat

Last edited by RobF; 11-21-2012 at 02:16 AM.
#26 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 11:27 AM

Good thread. I'm going to be 392 shopping soon and though I'm leaning towards the 6 speed I was going to test drive an auto. When I bought my RT 6 speed I test drove a couple of RT autos (a '10 and an '11) and came away unimpressed compared to the 6 spd. It seemed like if I wasn't in autostick it shifted a lot (particularly upshifts) when I wouldn't have expected it, and in autostick the shifting seemed sluggish, or at least not as snappy as I expected. Is the tranny performance different in a '12 or newer 392 than the RTs I drove?

2010 Furious Fuchsia R/T Classic 6 speed SOLD

#27 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 12:03 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Send a message via AIM to electricmarquis Send a message via Skype™ to electricmarquis
For me, having the control with a manual trans is super nice.......at times. Driving and relaxing simultaneously with a auto is superb most of the time. Maybe wait a bit until the ZF 8 Speeds come out. It might change peoples minds and yours. Even high end super cars come with auto-paddle shifted trans.

2010 Challenger SRT8 6.1 - SOLD
2014 Durango Limited AWD 3.6
2011 Subaru Outback 2.5
2015 Subaru WRX - ORDERED.

Last edited by electricmarquis; 11-21-2012 at 12:04 PM.
#28 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 03:30 PM

Thanked 1,192 Times in 709 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocron View Post
Good thread. I'm going to be 392 shopping soon and though I'm leaning towards the 6 speed I was going to test drive an auto. When I bought my RT 6 speed I test drove a couple of RT autos (a '10 and an '11) and came away unimpressed compared to the 6 spd. It seemed like if I wasn't in autostick it shifted a lot (particularly upshifts) when I wouldn't have expected it, and in autostick the shifting seemed sluggish, or at least not as snappy as I expected. Is the tranny performance different in a '12 or newer 392 than the RTs I drove?
The SRT's and RT's do not shift alike, the SRT is programmed more aggressively.

Brett DiMichele

2011 Toxic Orange

2015 SRT Hellcat on order with Bob Frederick (Sublime Baby!, Sepia Laguna, Brass Monkey)

©2011-2029 A Sparkly Moose Beaver Production

www.toxic11.com
#29 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 04:06 PM

Add a torque converter and a stage II valve body and you'll have some serious fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic11 View Post
The SRT's and RT's do not shift alike, the SRT is programmed more aggressively.

2012 Dodge White Charger

PB 1/8 run: 7.92 @ 86.92 * 1.76 60' on street tires

#30 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 05:07 PM
Banned

I got the 6-spd and have NEVER looked back. I drove the auto at the SRT Track Experience and personally was not impressed. I like the control you have with the 6-spd and it just sounds a lot better imo.

Traffic is not an issue with the 6-spd because you really do not need to shift much - I will keep it in first and on idle it will crawl along, then I can easy stay in traffic as it speeds up for a bit at 25 or so...so really not much in the way of gear changes.

That was a good point on the gas though if the cost is an issue. I still have my rev limiter kick in quite a bit and need new tyres after 5,000 miles - not as likely in an auto I would expect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific > 6.4L / 392ci (2011 - ?)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode