Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Pennzoil Ultra vs. Mobil 1: MY OPINION!!!

103K views 59 replies 32 participants last post by  mikeychallenger 
#1 ·
In another thread on Pennzoil Ultra and engine noise, I posted that I had a ticking from our 392 engine. I changed the oil in it yesterday and decided to use the last of the Mobil 1 0W40 I had leftover for my '08. From the initial start up after the change, I noticed that the ticking was greatly reduced if not gone. However, I didn't want to jump to a conclusion without more "data", in this case, more miles. Today, with the sunny, 55F weather here, my wife and I went for a ride; in fact, a 97 mile drive. During this drive I purposely accelerated heavy and normal, all the while listening for the tick. I have to say, if there was any tick, it was so slight that a normal conversation or regular volume music easily drowned it out. Now, I am not suggesting that this tick is caused by the Pennzoil Ultra, but I would say that the Mobil 1 is masking the tick better.

I wanted to share my experience with our engine tick and using Mobil 1 vs. Pennzoil Ultra. As most things in life, each engine is different and therefore your results could vary. ALSO, there are many oils that others use here, and those could produce similar, if not better results

Thanks!

#46 ·
Where's the Pennzoil?

I have yet to find the Pennzoil synthetic in 0W40. M1 in 0W40 is now available in the 5 qt containers. I've now seen them in several stores including walmart, around $23.

I have defaulted to M1 because I couldn't find Pennzoil. After reviewing this thread, think I will stay with the M1. I too won't scrimp on dollars for an oil change, but don't see spending $ needlessly. With M1 O/F, can do it myself for about $40.

#49 ·
I have yet to find the Pennzoil synthetic in 0W40. M1 in 0W40 is now available in the 5 qt containers. I've now seen them in several stores including walmart, around $23.

I have defaulted to M1 because I couldn't find Pennzoil. After reviewing this thread, think I will stay with the M1. I too won't scrimp on dollars for an oil change, but don't see spending $ needlessly. With M1 O/F, can do it myself for about $40.
Pennzoil is definitely not making it easy to get PU 0w40. Its available at the Dodge dealership, online at specialtylubes.com, and just recently it showed up on the shelves at my local Pep Boys. But its not got nearly the availability of M1. And its also consistently $10 a quart, and only in single quarts.

#58 ·
What does MDS stand for, in these oil discussions?

Thanks

Folks are referring to the Multi-Displacement System that the Automatic transmission equipped cars have. ...... Unless you turn it off with a tuner.

#59 ·
Why do some of you think the MDS causes the timing chains to snap?
Got this from a engine tech at another Dodge/Ram forum, can you guys educate me as to why this would casue the timing chains to fail?

How MDS works........
"The Multiple Displacement System (MDS) provides cylinder deactivation during steady speed, low acceleration and shallow grade climbing conditions to increase fuel economy. Both four and eight cylinder configurations have even firing intervals providesmooth operation. Two cylinders on each bank are active when the engine is in four-cylinder mode – every other cylinder in the firing order. All of the cylinders that are deactivated have unique hydraulic valve lifters that collapse when deactivated to prevent the valves from opening. Engine oil pressure is used to activate and deactivate the valves. It is delivered through special oil passages drilled into the cylinder block. Solenoid valves control the flow. When activated, pressurized oil pushes a latching pin on each valve lifter, which then becomes a “lost motion” link. Its base follows the camshaft, but its top remains stationary, held in place against the pushrod by light spring pressure but unable to move because of the much higher force of the valve spring.

NOTE: It is critical to use the recommended oil viscosity in 5.7L engines that use MDS.

Deactivation occurs during the compression stroke of each cylinder, after air and fuel enter the cylinder. Ignition then occurs, but the combustion products remain trapped in the cylinder under high pressure, because the valves no longer open. No air enters or leaves. During subsequent piston strokes, this high-pressure gas is repeatedly compressed and expanded like an air spring, but fuel is not injected".

#60 · (Edited)
Why do some of you think the MDS causes the timing chains to snap?
Got this from a engine tech at another Dodge/Ram forum, can you guys educate me as to why this would casue the timing chains to fail?
I think the common theory is that activation and deactivation of MDS causes the forces/friction on the camshaft to change. The forces on the camshaft are cyclical (like a sine wave) as the lifters ride the cam lobes and with MDS active, half the lobes have reduced friction which causes the cam to experience longer cycles of increased and decreased friction. That basically "shakes" the cam and makes it "jitter" more on the chain. At least that's my understanding.

Think of it like pulling a cart that has wheels shaped like an octogon: instead of round, they have 8 sides. It'd be a bit bumpy but it'll still roll halfway decent. Now remove half the sides and make the wheels a square. Your cart is going to be a lot bumpier ride and experience more vibration with square wheels compared to octagonal wheels.

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.