Pennzoil Ultra vs. Mobil 1: MY OPINION!!! - Page 3 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#21 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 11:16 AM

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I know its not penzoil/mobil one related but i have seen some like amsoil quakerstate and a few others that state the add zinc. I know zinc was more for flat tappet cams but wouldnt that also be benifitial to roller systems as well?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

2009 SRT
ARRINGTON TVS 2300 8LB BLOWER WITH A.J. TUNE & MODERN MUSCLE THROTTLE BODY WITH LMI FENDER PULL INTAKE
ARRINGTON FRONT STRUT TOWER BRACE
BILLET TECH FUEL DOOR BADGE, DOORLOCK PINS, DEVO STRUT TOWER COVERS, COMPLETE UNDERHOOD KIT IN RED, POP CAN DELETE DISC'S, SRT WHEEL CENTERS, DOOR JAM INSERTS
CANTON SUPER CHARGER COOLANT TANK
BARTON SHORT THROW SHIFTER WITH MOPAR SHORT THROW HANDLE]
CUSTOM HEAD RESTS
SPEEDLOGIX A-PILLAR POD WITH AUTOMETER CARBON FIBER GUAGES
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#22 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 11:16 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
There is nothing wrong with Pennzoil or any other API certified oil that meets the Chrysler requirements for our cars. (synth or not)

When I used to be a t3ech (20 years ago) for the State Police we used low bid oil no name brands that you never heard of but all were API certified and met GMs specifications. We changed the oil every 5k miles which was about a month or so. The cars life span was 2 years or 120k which ever came first. Working on these cars for 13 years we never had an engine failure due to oil, rather sucked valves (not oils fault) or head gaskets (not oils fault) or low oil and the engine blew.

Today's oil no matter synth or not blows away the oils of yesteryear and if those oils could stand the punishment troopers give those engines, you will never see (ever) an engine related problem caused by todays oil. Use what you want as long as it meets the specs and be happy.

FWIW, I only use Mobil 1 in the SRT8 because 0w40 does not exist other than Mobil 1 and Pennzoil and Pennzoil 0w40 can only be purchased from dealers (in my area) so Mobil 1 wins.
#23 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 12:44 PM

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Yahooligan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sitedrifter View Post
Working on these cars for 13 years we never had an engine failure due to oil ... or low oil and the engine blew.
Interesting take on things, I wonder where the oil went and why. Low oil caused engine failure within 5000 miles of an oil change, that's either a pretty big leak that should've been caught or the engine was burning it due to rings or valve guides. Not sure how you can conclusively say oil wasn't a factor.

Quote:
Today's oil no matter synth or not blows away the oils of yesteryear and if those oils could stand the punishment troopers give those engines, you will never see (ever) an engine related problem caused by todays oil. Use what you want as long as it meets the specs and be happy.

FWIW, I only use Mobil 1 in the SRT8 because 0w40 does not exist other than Mobil 1 and Pennzoil and Pennzoil 0w40 can only be purchased from dealers (in my area) so Mobil 1 wins.
I agree, proper maintenance with proper fluids and parts is the most important thing you can do for your car, but that doesn't mean there are no advantages to better lubes. There's a reason synthetic oils are called for by the manufacturer, be it for the engine, transmission, or diffs.

ATF+4 is synthetic
Our rear diffs call for synthetic gear oil
SRT vehicles come with synthetic engine oil from the factory

If conventional lubes worked just as well then they wouldn't be specifying synthetics. Fact is, our vehicles see higher internal operating temperatures and in many cases conventional oil would break down and not be able to protect at those temps.

My car gets Mobil 1 in the engine and diff, trans gets whatever ATF+4 is the cheapest since they're all the same.

- 2011 Challenger R/T Classic GWE 6-speed, 27M, Hurst Billet Pro shifter, SX catch can, SX skip-shift eliminator, JBA Cat4Ward headers, Solo Mach-X cat-back w/ J-pipes, 180 t-stat, DiabloSport-tuned, Charger intake tube, BC coilovers, Razor's Edge front and rear 4-point braces, SPC UCAs, SPC rear camber bushings, Michelin Pilot Super Sport 255/45ZR20

#24 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 01:01 PM

[QUOTE=Yahooligan;1223204]Do you have a link to the VOA showing how much moly the Pennzoil has? Choosing an oil because of a single component is like buying a car because you like how the tires look.

Mobil 1 0w40 has consistently been the benchmark oil with healthy levels of moly, but also healthy levels of zinc and phosphorus (Help reduce wear). The 5.7s also have VVT, haven't heard of issues with cam wear or scuffing with them...

Data is part of my job. The VOA and UOA for Mobil 1 show time after time that it's a great oil. The fact that my engine, as well as others' here, sounds happier with Mobil 1 confirms that. I've yet to see any VOA or UOA for Pennzoil Ultra 0w40, but I have heard plenty of complaints about Pennzoil Ultra and not just here on CT.

Apparently some Pennzoil "engineers" had a Q&A session over on the SRT forums. Based on the responses given by Pennzoil, they weren't engineers but instead were people from Pennzoil's marketing department as they could give no technical answers about the product. Their responses were always in marketing speak.

Pennzoil Enginners Q&A Session - SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum

You guys are 100% correct.....and I am 100% ill informed! Please forgive me for posting such utter nonsense....& for purchasing & utilizing Pennzoil in my 392. Unfortunately there is no way do totally delete my post. However, I will bring the 2 cases of Pennzoil to my local recycling center first thing in the morning. Again, my apologies....and thank you for helping me make my decision on motor oil....& to leave this Forum. Happy New Year!

Stripes Make You Faster!
2011 SRT8-392 IE #262 DWB
2004 C5 Z16 CE #2017 LMB
2014 Charger R/T AWD
1995 Impala SS

Last edited by 2BLU4U; 12-30-2012 at 01:03 PM.
#25 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 01:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BLU4U View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahooligan View Post
Do you have a link to the VOA showing how much moly the Pennzoil has? Choosing an oil because of a single component is like buying a car because you like how the tires look.

Mobil 1 0w40 has consistently been the benchmark oil with healthy levels of moly, but also healthy levels of zinc and phosphorus (Help reduce wear). The 5.7s also have VVT, haven't heard of issues with cam wear or scuffing with them...

Data is part of my job. The VOA and UOA for Mobil 1 show time after time that it's a great oil. The fact that my engine, as well as others' here, sounds happier with Mobil 1 confirms that. I've yet to see any VOA or UOA for Pennzoil Ultra 0w40, but I have heard plenty of complaints about Pennzoil Ultra and not just here on CT.

Apparently some Pennzoil "engineers" had a Q&A session over on the SRT forums. Based on the responses given by Pennzoil, they weren't engineers but instead were people from Pennzoil's marketing department as they could give no technical answers about the product. Their responses were always in marketing speak.

Pennzoil Enginners Q&A Session - SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum

You guys are 100% correct.....and I am 100% ill informed! Please forgive me for posting such utter nonsense....& for purchasing & utilizing Pennzoil in my 392. Unfortunately there is no way do totally delete my post. However, I will bring the 2 cases of Pennzoil to my local recycling center first thing in the morning. Again, my apologies....and thank you for helping me make my decision on motor oil....& to leave this Forum. Happy New Year!
Really, that's what you took from my post?

BITOG has numerous VOA and UOA results, but so far I've been unable to find a single one on Pennzoil Ultra 0w40. What I do find out there are marketing responses from "engineers" and people complaining about the oil and people making statements about it, positive and negative, without any sort of reference or data. The point of my post wasn't to say you're doing the wrong thing, but simply that there are very few useful facts and data about the oil so I don't know how people can make a truly educated choice or say definitively that one oil is better than another without the data. I know my engine doesn't like Pennzoil and I won't use it again.

If you or anyone else can find VOA or UOA on Pennzoil 0w40 then please post it up. Without this I don't see how anyone can make factual statements about how well it protects or compares to other oils.
#26 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 10:05 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Don't mean to derail the conversation here but 2 quick questions. First the manual says to use 5-40 but you all keep mentioning 0-40, should I be using 0 vs the 5? Car only has 250 miles so plenty of time before first OC. Second, the manual also calls for synthetic oils, are any of you using conventional oils? That doesn't sound right if you are.

Thx
#27 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 02:32 AM

Thanked 1,108 Times in 663 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sko View Post
Don't mean to derail the conversation here but 2 quick questions. First the manual says to use 5-40 but you all keep mentioning 0-40, should I be using 0 vs the 5? Car only has 250 miles so plenty of time before first OC. Second, the manual also calls for synthetic oils, are any of you using conventional oils? That doesn't sound right if you are.

Thx
The manuals have been revised. Most of us run 0-40 Mobil-1, those that run the Pennzoil are running 5-40. Either meet the warranty requirements. Both the Pennzoil 5-40 and Mobil-1 0-40 are Euro Car Spec Full Synthetics.

Brett DiMichele

2011 Toxic Orange

2015 SRT Hellcat on order with Bob Frederick (Billet Silver, Sepia Languna)

©2011-2029 A Sparkly Moose Beaver Production

www.toxic11.com
#28 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 05:13 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic11 View Post
The manuals have been revised. Most of us run 0-40 Mobil-1, those that run the Pennzoil are running 5-40. Either meet the warranty requirements. Both the Pennzoil 5-40 and Mobil-1 0-40 are Euro Car Spec Full Synthetics.

My take is the 2011 392s (and early 2012s) were spec'd with 5w40 because Pennzoil did not have 0w40 ready for the market and Chrysler moved to Pennzoil for 2011 MY. They (Pennzoil) now have 0w40 and that is the recommended oil fill for all 2012 and up MYs. The 2011s never received an addendum to the manual but most of us moved to 0w40 anyway.
#29 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 09:00 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,450 Times in 911 Posts
I called Exxon/Mobil last week and was told as long as the API and the weight meet the requirements it would be fine. As far as the MS-10850 vs. MS-10725 he said it's splitting hairs and not to worry. It does meet the MB 229.3 to 229.5 spec.
MB= Mercedes Benz
MS= Material Standard

As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is
impossible- but pissing everyone off, is a piece of cake.

#30 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 10:19 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sko View Post
Second, the manual also calls for synthetic oils, are any of you using conventional oils? That doesn't sound right if you are.

Thx
Have you tried looking for a conventional 0w40 or 5w40 oil? They don't exist.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific > 6.4L / 392ci (2011 - ?)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode