Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Raced a HELLCAT ON HIGHWAY, spanked me...

8K views 43 replies 21 participants last post by  HemiDave1399 
#1 ·
So I'm pulling up to the red light and what do I see behind me? NEW HELLCAT, I take off, they take off, pulls up next to me revs engine which was music to my ears, then takes off, my srt8 was no match. 2 thumbs up to the hellcat... KANSAS CITY MISSOURI. AND IT WAS DRIVEN BY A FEMALE???? Hmmmm

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
They are amazing. I think my better half believes it now, demonstrated that a young man should have bought two Hellcats instead of the M6 he was in last night. He is the one who pulled next to me at a light in a very rural area. Was less than 1/8 mile before I was able to use my turn signal properly to change lanes in front of him! Oh yes he was trying. :wink3:

#9 ·
Saw my first one on I-75 down here a couple weeks ago. Guy wanted to go. Revved a couple times and when I didn't engage, he just took off (starting about 75 MPH). While I didn't engage, I could tell by the way he took off that I woulda had my ass dragged big time. Guess he probably just wanted to see how much faster he was than an SRT. Woulda been fun but I just don't race on the street. The thing that took me by surprise is that even at 75 MPH, the Hellcat planted hard: you could see the rear load up and the front end stand up. :) I dunno, maybe if the road was empty, it would have been nice to see how much faster they are but this was mid-day with traffic ahead.

Mike

#10 ·
They had 2 of them the other week at the SRT driving experience and I got to take one out on the race track. And I know some might knock me for saying this, but I wasn't blown away by it. I mean, its definitely faster than our 392s, but its not that much faster. Or I guess I should say, it doesn't "feel" that much faster. Coming out of a turn, planted my foot and sure it took off, put me in my seat, but so does my 392. I took a Challenger SRT and a Charger SRT out on the race track right after, and they pull hard also. The Hellcat pulls harder, no doubt about that, but I wasn't like "wow, this is ungodly". Its just faster, but not overwhelming like I expected or was made to believe. Sounds awesome and all, but other than that, from the inside, its identical to our 392s. But it is a hell of a car.

#14 ·
Hahahahahahaha, pure gold right there!

#21 · (Edited)
With both on Drag radials, the Hellcat may well be 1.5 seconds faster in the 1/4. That power comes at a price though, because they are certainly beatable without DR's. The average driver can't hook an A8 to save his life and you can forget about the M6.

The Hellcat that runs occasionally at my track has yet to hit 11's and its an A8. All it does is spin.

Even a boosted stock 392 isn't going to handle a Hellcat from a roll. You'll still be about 50 rwhp short.

A 150 shot of N20 might make it really close due to the huge torque gains. However, you might only get to hit that once or twice on a stock 392.

The big question is whether 1.5 seconds is worth a 25k+ premium for otherwise a very similar car.

#22 ·
Even a boosted stock 392 isn't going to handle a Hellcat from a roll. You'll still be about 50 rwhp short.

A 150 shot of N20 might make it really close due to the huge torque gains. However, you might only get to hit that once or twice on a stock 392.

The big question is whether 1.5 seconds is worth a 25k+ premium for otherwise a very similar car.
A boosted 392 with pistons and rods running 12psi of boost will have the same power if not more than the Hellcat. One can argue longevity of the boosted 392 motor but for less than 25k you'll have a car that will beat a Hellcat.

R.K.

#28 · (Edited)
^. All that in theory works until you run up against the guy who only spent $1,800 on a pulley and tune for his little kitty; then ...see ya!

Some Hellcats like mine were purchased from honest dealers for MSRP, FYI. It can be done.

#29 ·
I had the honor of racing an A8 hellcat at my drag strip. My SRT8 M6 had DR's, stock tune, intake and a full tank of gas; the hellcat was stock on slicks. He beat me but it was a lot closer than I expected. I ran a 12.8 to his 11.8, and was only a couple of car lengths behind him at the end of the track.

#32 ·
Yep we have both had better runs, it was on a very hot afternoon and we were hot laping. I know he hit a high 10 in cooler air and I have hit a low 12 with my tune in cold air.

Reactions: DGatzby
#34 ·
You guys saying the hellcat isn't that much faster are fooling themselves and the guy who drove a hellcat and Doesn't think it's overwhelming faster... Wow

I'm only pushing 530whp and there is no comparison in how hard the car pulls and accelerates from any speed. It's not just faster it's holy %#+$ ! I can only imagine how faster a hellcat with 100+ more whp would be... But I bet it's another holy %#$& reaction.

#36 ·
I should put a camera over on the passenger side. I have had screams, squeals, curling up against the door, grabbing the door handle is almost the universal reaction upon my right foot hitting the floor, and yes several hate the seat belt locking down, funny I keep forgetting that one. The pull is really smooth and fun if you can keep it from dancing all over the place until about 60 to 70 or until third gear begins to settle things down. Not that much difference between operating the 6.4 I am sure just a bit stronger pulling power, and it sounds unbelievable! I am impressed by the times others put down with the 6.4. If a person in a Hellcat is not good, a quick short contest can belong to the lessor powered vehicle, I agree. My better half's advice to others, just rest your head in the seat and don't try to resist, because your neck will hurt!! When some of you beat a HC please post up their reaction. Good thread.

#35 ·
...yeah...riding in my buddy's 6spd hellcat is great. He can drop a gear and punch it and it takes off so friggin hard it locks up the seatbelt ... It'll bark the tires at 90 mph...I love my scat pack but Damn there is a difference for sure.

And the hellcat is designed for the abuse. Sure you can forge and put a blower on a 392 for 10k ... But the drivetrain isn't built to handle that extra power. Nor do you have an inter cooler system to keep the temps under control like the hellcat. That thing was designed to take a beating .., a lot different than throwing a blower on a 392. The hellcat (at msrp) is a bargain in my opinion.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#37 ·
DGatzby - good points. My buddy's 6spd hellcat and my 6spd Scat pack have the same Best 0-60 time via the timer so far (4.3 sec). It's more of a traction contest up to 60 mph. I'm sure he'll get some better times as he gets moe seat time in the car though.

From a roll his car is insane though!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.