SOLVED!!!!!! 392 CEL Lean Code After Long Tube Header & High Flow Cat Install - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 10:11 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
(Thread Starter)
SOLVED!!!!!! 392 CEL Lean Code After Long Tube Header & High Flow Cat Install

CEl lean code finally solved, cheap!!!! without a tune!!!!
bigdaddiesgarage.com reccomends using both the straight & the angled adapters combined @ post cat for the 5.7 & 6.1. This combo only works well for the 5.7 & 6.1. For the 392 it does solve the post cat CEL issues, only to cause a lean code cel. What I've learned after using both the straight & angled adapters separately & combined is, using the angled cel fix adapter only, solves both post cat & lean CEL codes. Using both the straight cel fix with the angled cel fix adapters together as a combo, seemed to displace the 02 sensors too far away from the exhaust gases, in turn causing the "lean" CEL code.
Goodbye CEL!!!!!!!

$29.95 each "you'll need 1 for each side of the exhaust/post cat"

Arrington Performance Aluminum 449 C.I. Hemi Whipple 4.0 Litre Supercharger DSS Ford 9" Strange 392 Pro Nod Tuned by A.J. "Hemituner"

Last edited by Roomraider; 08-23-2011 at 10:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 11:15 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
thanks for your info

2011 GWE SRT8 6speed stripes done my wayMods-Maggie Blower,Alky Control Meth inj kit, Arrington CAI,Kooks step Headers and high flow cats,Gforce1320.com 9inch kit,Dyno Tuned by Justune in KC, black spoiler,stripes from PFYC,Speedlogix Exhaust catback system(Zoomers),Speedlogix catch can,skipshift eliminator,NU-CHY1 Navigation Unlock Interface,Speedlogix Billet Underhood Dress Up Kit,Hurst Short throw Shifter with G&K mod,Old school Hurst Pistol grip
...more coming
#3 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 11:23 PM

So 6.1 normal method, 6.4 angled method. Part # ?? Thanks!

Edit: N/M see the img is linked, thanks!

2012 LCDX22
DEC|PDM|4H4
WPA|YEP|GWA
#4 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 11:43 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRTDogg View Post
So 6.1 normal method, 6.4 angled method. Part # ?? Thanks!

Edit: N/M see the img is linked, thanks!
Correct, the normal method cured the post cat codes, but caused a post cat lean fuel trim code.

Reserched the Dodge trouble tree bulletin & it suggests a post cat exhaust leak as the #1 cause for post cat lean codes. Disconnect both cats, clean flanges thoroughly with a wire brush, reset cel & re-assemble cats.

This may be correct for a stock exhaust, but not for aftermarket long tube headers & High flo cats. The headers are no big deal, it's the high flo cats that throw the codes.

"nd4topspd, no prob. glad to help, it's been a real pain in my arse since the install 06/04/11"

Last edited by Roomraider; 08-23-2011 at 11:49 PM.
#5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 05:33 AM

Yes but because we don't have a tune yet don't you run lean and will end up damaging the engine ?

2011 SRT 392
Solo High Flow Cats and Mach X cat back
Speed logix hood
Airaid CAI

Dreaming of tuning........
#6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 09:26 AM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyrunner View Post
Yes but because we don't have a tune yet don't you run lean and will end up damaging the engine ?
Negative, this is a cat issue. The same gases are passed by the primary 02's as before. Adding hi flow cats causes the post cat 02's to read a higher & unacceptable amount of hydrocarbons, all sorts of codes are thrown because of this. The hi flo cats do not scrub enough hydrocarbons before it's measured past the cats. This is a false Lean code.

By installing the angle cel fix, the o2 sensors are moved further back out of the flow of gases, therefore sniffing less hydrocarbons. By placing them too far out of the flow by using the combo cel fix, tells those post o2's that the fuel to air ratio is well below the programmed parameters & once again a post cat lean trim code is set.

It's a very safe method that's been verified "No lean" condition via sniffer @ the exhaust tips & that's where it counts.

Last edited by Roomraider; 08-24-2011 at 09:30 AM.
#7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Garage
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Thanks for sharing RR and good knowledge to share beers to you!!!

As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I may keep, and if I do begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride! - Amen!!!!

2015 SRT Hellcat Vin#FH716022 9/25/15
#8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 04:08 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70TA-09RT View Post
Thanks for sharing RR and good knowledge to share beers to you!!!

Thanks 70TA-09RT, spread the wealth
#9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 04:30 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to rmfootball69
Haven't gotten around to fixing it on my 6.1 but definitely great info, gonna save it for when I decide I'm sick of clearing the cel haha
#10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 05:17 AM

Wasn't asking about the high flow cats , was asking about the long tube headers, I have only seen like 1 or 2 peeps put them on a 392 and thought putting the long tube headers with the combination of the high flows creates a bit of leaning in the fuel mixture. And since there is no tune yet it, don't you worry about other problems happening in the engine since we can't adjust for the increase in air flow?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific > 6.4L / 392ci (2011 - ?)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode