Dodge Challenger Forum banner

SRT Warranty

7K views 29 replies 17 participants last post by  MrBohica 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi there,

It's 9 days until I pick up my new SRT but the dealer is already preparing for a hard sell on the extended warranty.

One of the used cars I was looked at had an extended warranty and the guy selling it was making a big deal about it so maybe it's worth at least educating myself about it.

From what I see on the Dodge site every other vehicle other than the SRT gets a 5 year / 100K km (sorry, I'm in Canada) warranty but the SRT only get 3 years and 60K km.

http://www.chryslercanada.ca/owners/en/warranty.php?brand=dodge

Is that the only difference? Just lose 2 years coverage or are certain things excluded too?

I want to be prepared when I walk in, I'm never an extended warranty guy on any other purchase.

#2 ·
Welcome. I'm from Canada too! I'm interested to hear any responses.

#3 ·
My 2013 SRT came with 3yr/36K bumper to bumper and 5yr/100K drivetrain.....I never buy the extended warranty because most modern cars dont have major problems (sometimes but the majority no).........there are pros and cons....had I bought the $2500 bumper to bumper 5yr/100K warranty that Dodge offered me 3 yrs ago for my wife's 06 Durango I would have lost out...we traded it last month for a 2013 Citadel.

The 06 had 92K miles and no major repairs over the last 3yrs..

#15 ·
My plan is to wait until near the end of the Factory Warranty to decide how long I plan to keep it or trade it in, whether it has given me any problems during the Factory warranty period, whether I plan on modding it to the point the factory warranty would be voided any way, if the vehicle were declared totalled in an accident, etc.

It might cost a little more to buy a Factory Warranty later, but it adds very little to resale value, and if you trade it in it is basically money thrown away.

#16 ·
It's also how you will use the car. Will it be a daily driver? If not you'll never go over the original warranties mileage before that part is used up. If you're low on the miles then you'll most likely see the full time duration as well. You can buy the warranty later on if the car proves to be problematic in the original 1-3 years of ownership.
Remember they NEED your money MORE than you want their car. Go in there and control the sale and don't let them try to control you.
I bought the warranty on my daily driver as I drive 20K a year but told them there was no purpose to buy it for a garage queen. The one thing that was tempting was an insurance policy on the rims and tires but passed on that as well. For the $1000 price I will just keep it in MY bank account for if it's ever needed.
Why are cars sold like it's a circus event? Who ever feels like they weren't being lied to, played games with etc?
Best of luck to you, congrats on the awesome new car. Hoping every mile is a happy one.

Reactions: dogshrimper
#26 ·
I know that Chrysler will offer an unlimited mileage warranty for the life of the car(within 48 months from purchase),,covers over 5000 parts. I got it and it expires in 2094(999 months) or 1 million miles,,They had to insert values in for the policy to work. $3200
I plan on buying a '14 Challenger SRT in September with this warranty. But there is a catch to it that most people dont know about. Let's say 10 years from now you blow a motor and trans and your car is worth only $10,000. I'm just throwing out a figure here, let's say the new motor and trans will cost $15,000 but your car is worth only $10,000. The warranty will only cover up to the book value of your car in parts and labor for a repair, the owner will be required to pay anything over the cars book value in repair cost's. I read that in the fine print on the Dodge website about the types of warranty that they offer.

#24 · (Edited)
Canada guys......

Our regulations are different. Even province to province they differ.

Everything in the US can almost be thrown out the window as they do not apply or allowed here with insurance.

I'd double check to see if the warranty changed in Canada when the 2011's came out, but the 2010 SRT's are the same as the Viper. I think I even posted the page in one of my older posts. R/T's were the same. This just applied to Canadian SRT's.

post 26

http://www.challengertalk.com/forum...ting-money-into-84687/index3.html#post1157643

Buying a new Challenger in the States and bring it to Canada?? Warranties gone. Stops the cross border shopping.

You can buy the extended warranty before the other ends. That's what I would do if your that worried.

The dealers make their money on the extras such as undercoating, paint protection, Scotch guarding, and warranties. Same with the salesmen. That's their carrot.

#25 · (Edited)
British Columbia here. 3yr/60k on the entire car, SRT8, from the dealership / Chrysler Canada. We paid $2100 for 3rd party extended warranty to 5yr/100k for the simple reason I will be over on mileage in 3 years, and I prefer to not have any surprises during the next few years. $2k is perfectly reasonable in my mind as "insurance", and the coverage we have includes a $100 deductible with no limits (capped at vehicle purchase price; engine explodes and melts the car to the pavement probably means a new car). It's the same with replacement insurance; bought that for the 4 years too.

It boils down to preference; while I trust SRT to engineer these to last beyond a year or two, I'd like to make sure I'm protected against the guy on the assembly line that had a bad day at work, or the cast part that wasn't quite up-to-spec. Things happen, and with a $50k car, I'd rather pay the $2k to not have to regret being covered, should something happen. It's a cost of liking nice, powerful, expensive cars as daily drivers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.