Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Thoughts on this deal 2012 SRT8 Leftover

8K views 44 replies 25 participants last post by  FWB 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I'm preparing to buy my first Challenger and I'm close to closing a deal. A local Dodge dealership has a 2012 fully loaded SRT8 Yellow Jacket with an automatic, MSRP = 52,645, new, never titled. I've got the dealer down to $34,000. I plan to trade my 2008 Jeep Wrangler in for it for about 14,000 so I'll be financing $24,000. Brining in my own finance as well so all I have to do is focus on the negotiated price and the trade in value.

I plan to keep it long term so I'm not to concerned with depreciation, to a point of course. I'm hoping to get some input on what you all thought of this deal. I did my research but perhaps I maybe missing something. Thoughts?

and thanks.....

#2 ·
Seems like a good deal.

#5 ·
What I want to know is, will you come with me next time I go to get a car?? How did you talk them down fron 52 to 34? Thats a greta deal I would jump on it fast! Considering I just paid 48 for mine....I would pay you $1000n cash just to negotiate for me lol

Reactions: HemiHerb and JDGA80
#7 ·
Lots of dealers got stuck with yellow jackets. Yellow is the most difficult color to sell. When I did an inventory search last spring there where 5 within a hundred miles of Detroit.
Your dealer is done trying to make money on that particular car and is willing to take a loss to get it gone.
His loss is your gain, it's a phenomenal deal for you! Jump on it.;)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#9 ·
MAn I hope it works out for you. I wish now I would have looked for a yellow jacket myself. But like they say, once you go black..,, you stay at the car wash :)

#10 ·
That sounds like a great deal - the YJ SRT8 has the unique graphics, wheels and seat trims that haven't appeared on any other models as they appeared on the YJ...

And you're getting it for the price of a lightly equipped (new) R/T Plus that would have auto, radio upgrade.

#11 ·
SRT8 for $34K new? 30% off? That's the best price I've ever heard I think. I bought a 2007 Buick Lucerne loaded with 8 miles on it in the end of 2008 when the 2009's were showing up. It was $33K sticker and I paid $23K. Northstar V8 and column shift. No one wanted it. 30% off? Sold.

#17 ·
The question is r u getting a good deal on ur trade. They will come down a bunch if they can make it back on the trade. I just bought a 12 in Sept for $39 with a bike trade and i got a good deal on both ends.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Thanks everyone, I'll post updates good or bad. Either way, I'm getting an SRT8 Challenger soon I just need to make the numbers work or get a good divorce lawyer. LOL!
Regarding the trade, KBB Trade In Value for a very good condition 08 Jeep Wrangler X with 67000 miles is $15,158 in Excellent condition $15,458.
NADA trade in value in Good condition 14,700 in Excellent condition $15,700 Realistically based on the condition of my Jeep I'm asking for $15,000. I'll take $14,500 if he gives me a lifetime warranty or free oil changes. Anything below $14,500 without incentives and I'll walk.
If I have a perfect transaction, the final cost of the car will be $21k after the trade (helpful on taxes). This includes me handing him a 21K Capitol One blank check and the title to the jeep. Fingers crossed.

#16 ·
Get it! I'd call that a smokin' deal!

#19 ·
#20 ·
We'll you might have to look into the divorce lawyer. Once you buy the car, and the moding addiction sets in, it might be court time lol. I know I've been getting in the dog house much more often since my purchase....

Reactions: B5Classic
#21 ·
I got mine stickered at $47 down to $39 and got my asking price of a very well maintained 08 cbr 1000rr for $7500. So I was able to get into a position my wife and i were comfortable with and went to get it. I think 10 will be the best off u will see. maybe more if there r miles on them. I got lucky that my ride sit in the show room the whole time it was there never outside.

#23 · (Edited)
I got mine stickered at $47 down to $39 and got my asking price of a very well maintained 08 cbr 1000rr for $7500. So I was able to get into a position my wife and i were comfortable with and went to get it. I think 10 will be the best off u will see. maybe more if there r miles on them. I got lucky that my ride sit in the show room the whole time it was there never outside.
Well done Bigdodge, if they don't honor the agreed on price of 34k, I may consider it at 36K. I didn't get the mileage on this one, I know it has to be under a certain number as a new or demo car. I worry about that cause proper break in is so important for this car. That said, if I end up at $39K or more I go to plan B. Find another one or factory order a 2014 SRT8 Core, with one option, automatic. That puts me at $42,190 MSRP and I sell the Jeep privately for $17,500 to offset the difference a little. I would just need to wait until after the holidays to make this work money wise.

#24 ·
Ya patience is the key, and finding a good dealer to work with. I talked to a lot of dealers and it was amazing how they acted like the 2 year old car we were discussing had just come out and was highly sought after. When i found mine it only took a couple calls and we were where i wanted to be.
Always wonder if i could have done better but i was down a vehicle and only had the bike for transportation and my wifes car so i was kind of hurried. At this stage i would put the burden on them. Let them know U can help them out by taking it off their hands or just wait for a new one. lol

#26 ·
that's by far the best deal ive ever heard of.....you should have signed on the spot...hopefully they don't change their minds when you get back

the best ive heard of before this one was $9,300 off sticker and that was on a 6.1 after the 392's came out...

Yellow does look good on a Challenger, but I remember from the DY days how many they had left over...the $9,300 deal I spoke of was in IL and it was on 3 DY SRTS....they were stuck with 3 exactly the same and wouldn't budge on price until I already ordered my IE392

Yellow is a slow seller

#28 ·
That's an awesome deal! Yellow tends to be a love/hate color. If you love it you got yourself an incredible deal.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I never had a yellow car so I guess I'll find out tomorrow if I love it or hate it. I think for the price I can learn to love it. Also I locked in on my financing today so I'm going in tomorrow instead of Monday. Should be fun.

#30 ·
Remember when dealers could not give away Daytona Chargers or Superbirds?

I say grab it.

#31 ·
I went today and I tried to grab it but the CAR WAS NOT THERE!!!!lol....granted I did plan on going Monday but had to change to today due to scheduling at work. That said, I was also unable to reach the original salesman I spoke with so I just went in. The story is the car is a demo, 9k on the clock and was out today with a customer. I'm not sure how I feel about that cause proper break in is so important, at least to me it is.
On to the next dealer, test drove an SRT8 Core, short drive in the lot (big lot) but a drive non the less. Needless to say, I'm hooked. I need to continue my search for a deal but there is no doubt in my mind I will be in a Challenger soon. Till then I'll take in all the great information on this board and hopefully soon I'll be showing off my new baby. Thanks for all the well wishes.

#32 · (Edited)
#34 ·
"9k on the clock"

That explains the great price, it's used. Probably 9000 hard miles too! When I was trying for that SRT in FL, the salesman told me stories how they would take the SRTs out, turn off TC and do donuts when nobody was looking. "The torque is unbelievable" he said. He was trying to impress me, but he just disgusted me instead.

Keep looking, I know I am.

#35 ·
Uh make sure the deal is legit. Im pretty sure there is a limit to how many miles they can put on a car and still consider it new.

I dated a girl who leased a vehicle that the owners daughter drone for 6k miles and they sold it as new but invthe lease paperwork they basically workrd the miles into the contract so that she was paying for them. Lets just say they were eager to please when it was presented to them when the lease was up. The look on the gm's face was priceless.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.