Took my newly B&G tuned 392 to the track - Page 5 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

» Featured Product
» Auto Insurance

» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific > 6.4L / 392ci (2011 - ?)

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 11:14 AM

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Originally Posted by Kakdiesel1 View Post
The fact is you all have a car right out a dealership with little bolt on trinkets here and there. I have no experience as I stated and I only drag raced 2 times. Instead of PMSing teach the new guy. I can bring some cranberry juice next post? It seems your manual is slower.,why you bought a slower car to drag race I have no idea? Did someone tell you driving stick is more manly? I did get that a lot at the track. Funny how they were behind me too. Just watched Pinks and a guy just lost $10,000 because he missed 3rd. A5, A6 who even cares what that means as long as you know how to use it. Did Cole Trickle know anything about cars?
PMSing? The irony.
1989 Dodge Ramcharger 4X4, 360, my daughter won't forgive me for selling it!

"Hello everyone. Sorry I'm late. I got stuck behind a Prius."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Kakdiesel1 View Post
I never puffed my chest out And as a matter of fact called you guys out and knew some one would think I'm bragging.The fact is you all have a car right out a dealership with little bolt on trinkets here and there. It seems your manual is slower.,why you bought a slower car to drag race I have no idea? Did someone tell you driving stick is more manly? I did get that a lot at the track. Funny how they were behind me too. Just watched Pinks and a guy just lost $10,000 because he missed 3rd. A5, A6 who even cares what that means as long as you know how to use it. Did Cole Trickle know anything about cars?
Never puffed your chest....lets look at a couple of quotes from you....

"If anyone is in the 13's in this car I would either take it back, check your trunk for lead bricks or give it to someone who "hate to say it, can Drag it better."

"Never the less, your cars should be running 12's all day any day wo tuning."

"If you want your car to go faster i would be happy to drive it for you? "

Sounds like it to me. Now lets check your knkowledge.....you dont know what an A5 or A6 is, First is an Autommatic seond is a Stick. You have no idea what the 6spd runs or you would also agree that his 12.8 was a good run.

You are new here and people dont take to the attitude.

Yes you ran a 12.59 in outstanding air with the DA of -76. I for one am not impressed because there are numerous runs faster with the automatic in worse air so you are not the driver you seem to think you are.

Drop the attitude and search some posts to become better informed.
2011 SRT8 IE #996 White w/Blue Stripes. 11.85@ 113.79 with a 1.60 60' . Zoomers Catback, Speedlogix fender well CAI, Paramount 3000 Stall Converter, B&G 93 octane ECU, M&H Drag Radials. ==== Future Procharger

Last edited by indybill; 11-16-2012 at 04:40 AM.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:41 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
wow this thread took a turn...lol

2012 SuperBEE SRT8
12.139 @ 114.36
Old 11-15-2012, 05:45 PM

back on topic, last weekend a friend had his yellow jacket at the strip and best he could get was a 13.0 something. The 6spds are difficult to get down the track.

Getting into the 12.7-8 range is doing pretty good from what we have seen. Add drag radials, etc. it will get better, but stock is tough.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:49 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Originally Posted by indybill View Post
back on topic, last weekend a friend had his yellow jacket at the strip and best he could get was a 13.0 something. The 6spds are difficult to get down the track.

Getting into the 12.7-8 range is doing pretty good from what we have seen. Add drag radials, etc. it will get better, but stock is tough.
very true... i had a buddy with a 09 srt8 ..bad wheel hop.. running low 14s 6 speeds are hard to drag race. I heard the 11+ is a bit better on wheel hop but still there
Old 11-15-2012, 07:46 PM

I have a lot of respect for the 6-speed drivers. I've driven automatics and sticks at the track on radials. With the auto, there was about 2 seconds of medium concentration to get it off the line, then it was foot down, keep it straight for the rest of the run. With the stick, I'd call it downright stressful. One false move off the line and it's a blown run. I couldn't relax until after I hit 3rd.

Maybe with sticky tires, a 4500 rpm launch, and full on speed shifts could close the gap. But breaking stuff gets mighty expensive...
Old 11-16-2012, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by BonnievilleGXP View Post
Maybe with sticky tires, a 4500 rpm launch, and full on speed shifts could close the gap. But breaking stuff gets mighty expensive...
I just think that it's the more intrusive application of torque management that keeps the 6spds from being great drag strip performers.

With the automatic, most of the variables that happen during the shift are managed by the PCM/ECU -- meaning computer, not driver. As such, Chrysler engineers are able to use these stable and repeatable variables when programming the automatic's tune. Torque Management (TM) application can be as aggressive as programming will allow.

However, with the "TRUELY" manual shifter, all shifting variables derive from "human" factors that no "cheap" computer can predict. (Evidence? Autos receive cylinder deactivation, 6spd cannot due to unstable shifting variables.) With the 6spds, Chrysler dialed in alot of TM to manage and mitigate most of these "human" factors in its quest, amongst other things, to preserve the reliabilty of their product. On the bright side, this reduces or prevents unnecessary drivetrain breakage and failures; however (on the not-so-bright side) this prevents maximum performance.

Though I don't know what the TM thresholds between the auto and 6spds are, I bet it's safe to say that the auto is capable of receiving the least amount. And it is probably also safe to say that anytime an engine isn't capable of applying its full power (or force --- torque) over another, that it won't be able to perform as well --> Which results in slower acceleration results.

Bottom line, give the 6spds their full power potential then let's see what happens.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:50 AM

On the toque management issue I believe that is why we can turn it off. There is no doubt 6speeds have a harder time getting the car down the track but it is mostly a driver issue at launch (I know it is for me) and then the actual time it takes to physically shift the gears unless you can do it w/o the clutch (I will not risk the learning curve).
Old 11-16-2012, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by John Matthews View Post
On the toque management issue I believe that is why we can turn it off.
Yeah, you can with a tuner or B&G tuned PCM/ECU, but I'm talking stock.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by gr8srt8 View Post
Yeah, you can with a tuner or B&G tuned PCM/ECU, but I'm talking stock.

I think some people confuse torque management with traction control. You can't turn off the torque management by holding the button down for 5 seconds.

Mods: B&G tune, 180 t-stat, Hurst shifter, Solo catback, Web Electric sequentials.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific > 6.4L / 392ci (2011 - ?)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.