Dodge Challenger Forum banner

trade a 12 for a 15 and DAMN

9K views 35 replies 24 participants last post by  ChallengerHO12 
#1 · (Edited)
What's everyone's opinion about their trade? What specifically? For me, it feels like sitting and driving in a totally different car. Just the clutch to start with. There are just many more. Anyone else?

#5 ·
The 6 speed shifter is worlds better then the past. The power band of the 392 even feels different. They just took a great car and made it even better. Anyone think the ride is any different or is it just the different tires.

Reactions: AssTyme
#6 · (Edited)
There is very little difference other than appearances from the 15 models and the prior year models. I do agree the interior is better. The 392 is the same 392 since 2011, no changes there, the 15 extra HP is from parasitic loss reduction.

Some of the suspension components were replaced with lighter, aluminum parts,(which counts for a slight weight reduction) but the basic set up is the same. I'm unaware of any changes as far as insulation goes, most likely getting that feel because a new car has less wear and tear, and thus less squeaks and strange noises.

Ultimately, the 15 has a different front and rear fascia, better headlights, a more modern interior, and a more aggressive exhaust system from the factory. It also has a different shift mechanism that is more intuitive for the 6 speed owners, and an 8 speed auto in place of the 5 speed auto. Other than that, it is exactly the same car as before.

If you are trading up from an RT to an SRT, well yeah it's a completely different car. They were completely different cars since 2008.

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade here, just getting the facts straight.

#8 ·
You literally just said "it's the exact same car except for the front, back, inside, drivetrain, and parts throughout" changing the interior alone will make it feel like a different car. Add more power and much better transmission and you've got a whole different animal.

#9 ·
Sounded to me like he said its the same car with the exception of a few cosmetic changes! But then again if you think you got a new ole lady if she changes her hair color, make-up and buys a new outfit, well...............LOL!

#11 ·
That's not why I started this. If u don't like it then don't come in. I'm sorry ur only pleasure is bringing everyone down with ur common sense facts. U can keep it to ur self. Allci wanted to know was what little differences people noticed with their new car. Loved my 12 and nobody said it was old and busted crap. There r quite a few small differences.

#14 · (Edited)
To be truthful the only thing that I would consider to make the change would be the 8sd.But not enough to make the change.
Not much into tech so there's no appeal there.And the only thing that's not soft touch is the console.
Also prefer the dash and exterior on the 14 under.But that's just my opinion,so don't read any more into that.
(I didn't say it was better)
Some have forgot that the rest of us love our cars too.Be it an SXT,RT,SP or HC.Even the 6.1 guys,many by the way have modified their cars to the polnt would kick all our tails.Money into MODs instead of new cars.
Some have said the A5 is old outdated junk (not on this thread) come on,some are only a year old and all have proven to be very dependable.Just a little respect goes a long way.

And no they are not better in every way.

#16 ·
That a5 is the best trans we have for reliability by far. It may be slightly outperformed by the new 8 but its still a great trans and will continue to be. I also understand people's affection for the retro look of the older interior. I am a techy guy so this new one fits me perfect.

#17 ·
To each his own. Some like older better, some like 15's better. I think OP didn't want this to be a new vs old fight, but just see what little differences there were. One thing I noticed is the easter eggs. I'm not sure if the older challengers had this, but on the windshield, there is a silhouette of a challenger on the drivers side by the vin tag. Thought that was kinda cool.

Reactions: Devils Voice
#18 ·
I had a new 14 R/T 6M and traded it for a 15 SP with A8. Not sorry except I like shifting better. I enjoy my car daily and now have 11,000 miles on it. YMMV and I understand that, all very nice cars. I promise you in Las Vegas there is a faster car at every red light. Although I do not engage them.

#21 · (Edited)
I came from a 2008 charger srt8 bumble bee and now a proud owner of a 2015 srt 392 And its miles apart.I originally was gonna purchase a used 2014 challenger , couldnt look at the chargers the new look i just wasnt feeling.Anyway i was gonna pick up a used 2014 challenger , but im a tech guy and the dash board , rear led lights sensors man i can name a dozen things which made me go new. But like an earlier poster said we should all thank God to be healthy to have and drive one of these, besides my children this is my greatest joy.. Have a blessed day!

#23 ·
I think the gauges in the 15 look more retro than the previous years. I had a 12 R/T that I traded for a 5.0 GT. After about a month I regreted that trade, the Mustang was only fun when I was breaking the law. Now I have a 15 R/T and really love the changes, especially the dash. Kinda miss the pistol grip shifter from my 12 though.

#25 ·
I never drove anything but 2015 models, so I can't comment on any comparisons. I saw that B-5 was coming back and along with the grille restyling, I was already on board. The earlier interiors seemed fine to me until I sat in a 2015. Not that the older ones are bad, I just like the 2015 style better.

#28 ·
I have to agree, I went from a 13 Classic 6spd with Super Track Pak to a 15 SRT 6spd. Even the shifter feels a 100% better then the 13. I yanked my Barton Shifter out before I traded it in and I honestly don't think the new one needs it. The dash on my 13 is the same as my 2008 Charger V6 daily driver (boring). The new dash and interior is light years ahead of the previous models plus all the cool timers, performance pages and gadgets just make it more fun. The exhaust note is perfect for me plus the ability to change driving modes is really cool. The 6 piston Brembos are out of this world, almost too good. Just my opinion.

#29 ·
For the 6speed the new shifter is miles better and I considered not installing my Barton but I did anyway and it is still a great improvement.

The steering is completely different and I really thought the adjustable aspect was more gimmick then anything but I was wrong. Each setting it quite different. Anyone know why they stayed with the hydraulic unit for the hellcat?

I always hear people complain about the HK sound system and I have always had high end sound I installed myself and at least in my car the HK sounds pretty good. I just updated the uconnect yesterday and its even better now. Don't get me wrong, I have heard better but for what it is the sound is pretty good. Just think about this. If they had gone with some truly high end sound the weight of the system would have been the big complaint. I really think they did try to shed some weight on these cars for 15. I noticed when lowering it that even on the knuckle arm that attaches to the upper a arm has lost some meat around where the ball joint goes in. There was barely anything to use to pull it out. It wasn't like that on my 12.

#31 ·
I guess its really not a 'different' car but my last Challenger was a '12 R/T Classic auto and aside from the obvious horsepower difference the '15 really does 'feel' like a different car. I know its the same basic body, chassis, suspension etc but this car feels much more solid and refined. I personally liked the '14 and down exterior styling better, but the interior is no comparison in MY opinion. It happens every time a new model or refresh comes along, go over and read the Mustang and Corvette forums and its the same thing..

Enjoy what you have and why worry what others think, if you like it thats what matters.

#35 ·
People need to stop making this thread something its not. All I asked for we're the opinion of those that made the upgrade. Nobody is bashing or saying that the older ones are anything less then great. Just wanted to see what differences people noticed besides the obvious cosmetics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.