Dodge Challenger Forum banner

What Color Fuel Door on a '16 SRT 392?

4K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  RWL11 
#1 ·
Hopefully, this is a pretty easy one for you guys...

I'm assuming that all 2016 SRT 392s come with the chrome fuel door, regardless of the car color?

The reason I ask, is that I have a Pitch Black car on order, with black interior and matte black center stripes, and I'm thinking that the chrome fuel door would stick out like a sore thumb. And with at least one of the forum vendors having a Memorial Day sale this weekend, I thought I might take advantage of that fact and order a replacement OEM black fuel door now, even though I probably won't be receiving the car for another 3-4 weeks.

So, am I safe to assume that the car will come with a chrome fuel door?

Thanks in advance!

Frank

#2 ·
Its bright polished aluminum for the SRT 392

Reactions: pinefd
#7 ·
It looks like it's chrome plated though, correct? Does anyone know how much it would cost to powder coat the stock SRT cap matte black?

#3 ·
Frank, I agree with you.............It'll stick out like a sore thumb.

IIRC, with the CT discount and no Holiday sale at the time, I got my OEM black door for right at $95 shipped, from Luke at Steve White Motors.

Ordered it before my car was delivered, and my dealer installed it before delivery. Well worth the few bucks spent, and looks just right. It'll look great on yours too. :)

#4 ·
Thanks, guy! That's pretty much what I thought. And Johned, that's exactly where I'll be buying the part from. While apparently, it seems the prices have gone up since you bought yours, with the 10% Memorial Day discount, the price ends up being pretty competitive. And I hadn't thought about asking the dealer to install it for me; I may give that a try. Although it seems pretty easy enough to do myself. If I have the dealer install it, I'll insist on getting the original back, since those are actually quite pricey...more so than the black ones.

Thanks again,

Frank

#8 ·
Yeah I thinks chrome plated aluminum or some kind of light cast metal and would probably be cheaper just to buy a black door than refinish the chrome.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

#9 ·
yes - they are die-cast aluminum with chrome plating over the base material

#10 ·
Thanks again for all your input. Much appreciated.

I went ahead and ordered the black fuel door, and will decide after I receive the car whether I'll install it right away or not.

And yes, I believe the stock door is aluminum with chrome plating. To me, it wouldn't make sense to try and paint, or powder coat (or Plasti Dip!) the original. To do it right, you'd probably want to strip off the chrome, and I'd prefer to just hold onto the stock original anyway, in case I wanted to switch it back at some point.

Frank

#11 ·
Go with the Scott Drake Billet black door. Looks amazing on my Crystal Granite.

Reactions: RWL11 and pinefd
#14 · (Edited)
Yeah, I was considering the all black Scott Drake fuel door, but I'm not sure about the durability of the finish over time. It's an anodized finish that I've seen some surface degradation on, probably due to road salt and such. I'm also trying to use official MOPAR replacement parts where possible, but I admit the Drake cover does look better.

#15 ·
I also was looking at the Drake fuel door. Loved the look of them but in the end couldn't stomach the cost. With their's costing more along with me being in Canada with the dollar difference the price quickly became to much. Ended up getting mine from Mopar Online and am happy with it. With you having same car as me here is a pic for you. It really stands out with our color.

Attachments

#20 ·
Yep changed mine out asap to black.

#21 ·
I'm getting ready to swap out the chrome fuel filler door for matte black on my 2016 SRT 392, but there seem to be two different choices that indicate they are for 2016s; part # 5MY11RXFAA for 2015, 2016 model years and part # 68250120AA for 2008-2016 model years.

5MY11RXFAA is more expensive but other than that I can't see any difference.

Anyone know what's the difference (other than price)?

#25 ·
My SXT Plus Blacktop had the matte. Unsure what Blacktop had the gloss, although that's how I see them listed as well. The gloss is a bit too, for me ;)

A Guy

#26 ·
the '13 / '14 blacktop editions had gloss black wheels and fuel doors.

The finishes went to matte when the '15s came out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.