Dodge Challenger Forum banner

wheel hop sucks!!

9K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  Hal H 
#1 ·
whats up with the F*^&%*# wheel hop on those cars, i am afraid to press on the gas, every time the car is in track or sport mode upshifting 1st to 2nd brakes the tires loose and is not fun at all, i love leaving rubber on the road but this car just plain sucks doing that, that wheel hop sucks so bad it is not even funny,i can see tray failure cv joins rear end half shafts in a near future, i mean what is all of that power when you can even use it......im seriously considering selling my car:frown:

#2 ·
Switch out the lower control arms and change the rubber bushings for urethane. The ride characteristics will change but it will at least minimize wheel hop (wheels turning inward during hard acceleration).

#5 ·
the 8 speed in 2015 cars shift gears hard i mean hard, when in track mode dos not take much to brake the tires loose on up shift,sport mode is little softer but still brake them loose and nasty wheel hop happens,in regular mode thy shift soft enough so no wheel spin there and no wheel hop.

#6 ·
15 wheel hop

There was a Mopar special event before the Mile a High Nats and they had 12 brand new Scat Packs, some Shakers that we got to race at Bandimere. All were automatics, all wheel hopped unles just left off idle. If brought up against the converter they wheel hopped real bad! My 2010 6 speed wheel hopped, so I traded it for a 14 Auto, no wheel hop. I assuming the lower gear ratio of the 8 speed is too much for the rear suspension in a Drag Race environment?

#7 ·
My car hardly ever hops, I'll just consider myself lucky I guess.

#8 ·
Eric share the darn secret! Mine with these large sticky tires and even with the replaced rear trailing arms dances all over in any aggressive throttle first or second. i have to be very very careful to keep the acceleration below any wheel spin in 1-2 or it is simply get your foot out of it and re-group time. I guess that is the only way to run it out from a stop. Unfortunately or fortunately to not complain, just a little bit of throttle with this animal produces wild results! I expect anytime now that drive shaft will be on the road and a twisted mess in the middle of a moment of fun. Good to hear mine right foot is not the only one getting a bouncing rear end.

Plan for 2016, aluminum drive shaft and put the 305 drag radials on the 10.5" rears, head to BIR and run it down the fastest track in the world with some of at glue they put down this weekend to hook this unit up once and for all. Hell with the street fun. They sprayed so much of that stuff down this weekend, it will still be there next year.

#9 ·
Myself I just have a 14 Classic w/5.7 and auto tranny so luckily haven't had to deal with any kind of wheel hop issues but not long ago on this board there was a lot of talk about a "hop not kit" that seemed to work for a lot of folks who were dealing with those issues. Search the board for "hop not kit" for more info..........

#11 ·
Sounds like the deeper 1st gear (A8 = 4.70) vs the A5 (1st = 3.59) is enough to create wheelhop like the M6 can do.

Probably a combo type of tires, track conditions and feathering the throttle are what will be the management to get successful launches w/o wheelhop.
Especially if those that already have rear lower tension arms still have the symptom.

That gearing on the A8 is way lower than the M6 (1st = 2.97). But with the manual, the power delivery is on/off/on with each shift and that disrupts the driveline, compared to how power deliver is with the 'auto trans.

#13 ·
My car had nasty wheel hop until I did 2 things, change the tires to Nitto Motivo and replace the training arm and swaybar endlinks with Spohn parts. Now I can spin the tires smoothly if I desire to.

The biggest difference was the tires, I used to have f1's which are pretty sticky, the Motivos are a lot harder...

#15 ·
I'm running the Pirelli summer tires on my A8 and I can tell you from experience that at the dragstrip, I'm greeted with violent wheel hop every time if I don't feather it just right. I think part of the problem with the A8 is that the TC locks up at 18 MPH even at full throttle. The direct drive (with no torque converter to dampen the feedback) combined with the low gearing is a nightmare WRT wheel hop. Now, on the street, I've spun but have not experienced wheel hop on the street. For me at least, it takes the sticky surface of the dragstrip to initiate it so it's not a deal breaker.

Mike

#16 ·
mine hop like ***** anywhere,first gear on take of is not a problem but as soon as hit the 2nd gear 10 out of 10 times HOP HOP HOP, just earlier i was coming home and i was at the light on 2 line each way road after the light was turning in to 1 lane so i roll in the throttle in the first light smooth tire spin and as soon as hit the 2nd man at was nasty .............i think is that hard shift creating a jumping momentum and the suspension can not recover.......

#17 · (Edited)
This wheel hop issue alone is making me rethink ordering a 2016 SRT. The other issue is the Hemi tick. $50,000.00 is a lot of $$$ for a ride with these issues :(

I love doing burnouts and sometimes going to the track so this would be a major setback.

It also seems that the Camaro, Mustang & Corvette also suffer from wheel hop but to a lesser degree ???

#18 ·
So this is for real (official), now...the A8's have now joined the party with wheel hop issues?

Has anybody ever tried rear tires on 18" wheels? Maybe the extra sidewall height is just enough to keep WH from rearing up?

#19 ·
Randy,

you can still get wheelhop with 18" wheels -mine would do it.
I changed out the rear lower tension arms and that stopped wheelhop for me.

Reactions: randycat99
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.