Dodge Challenger Forum banner

6.1 Remorse?

49K views 137 replies 53 participants last post by  Ashoka 
#1 ·
Boy talk about taking a beating. Thought about trading my lo miles SRT for a Scat Shaker. You would have thought I was driving a pinto the way the dealer trashed it. I remember when it was the cats meow. Not so much now. These 6.1 cars don't get any respect I guess. Are the new ones twice the car?

#87 ·
Personally I love my 2010 6.1 SRT. I have never drove a 6.4 and I really see no need to upgrade to one. I would like to add maybe 75 hp to it somehow. I think I could still handle it with that much more power. It is a handful just the way it is but I would like to try it!!! What is a nice way to add maybe 75 hp?

#89 ·
Personally I love my 2010 6.1 SRT. I have never drove a 6.4 and I really see no need to upgrade to one. I would like to add maybe 75 hp to it somehow. I think I could still handle it with that much more power. It is a handful just the way it is but I would like to try it !!! What is a nice way to add maybe 75 hp ??

Heads, cam, tune and boom!

#92 ·
Yeah, its a bit of a double edged sword. Especially concerning heads. Heads are everything :) If you are willing to spend the money, you can blow umpteen thousands on just heads that will flow like a Mofo...but then you need a much bigger cam to take advantage of all that increased flow...and THEN you have to get air in and out of the engine...so maybe a much larger T/B and of course like WASP mentioned, headers and a very free flowing exhaust.

Now speaking more realistically, Arrington offers a head\cam\TB package starting at $3200.00 that is advertised as making 108HP and it probably does. Not with the stock exhaust. They used aftermarket and a 90mm TB.. Still, not a bad deal IMHO.

#98 ·
It is a heart breaker for sure but I like it that way. I have seen enough (I have 600 Hp ) stories down hear just to put up slower numbers. We did the math equation to a Dyno jet and would probably come in at 510.

#101 ·
I'm glad many people felt the 6.1s got the boot when the Hellcats and Scat Packs started showing up. I got my 2010 SRT 8 fully loaded 29k miles at a bargain from a private seller and couldn't be happier! Dream became reality. It's a beast!

#116 ·
Brandy16, I was looking for you over the weekend? It was the Mopar Nationals in Woodburn and you were suppose to come down?

I thought we were going to race the 6.1 vs the 392.

Well I will say it was a kick butt weekend. Even had a passenger in the back window..lol

6-speed FTW

Attachments

Reactions: c26bt34c
#117 ·
Brandy16, I was looking for you over the weekend? It was the Mopar Nationals in Woodburn and you were suppose to come down?

I thought we were going to race the 6.1 vs the 392.

Well I will say it was a kick butt weekend. Even had a passenger in the back window..lol

6-speed FTW
Nice run!

#119 ·
Why didn't you tell me who you were? I met a ton of people over the whole weekend event. If you knew me you would understand I don't beat around the bush on what I have (I will tell you what I have). It took me 4 long years to get this car dialed in for a stick shift and it works. Motor has always made good power now it was about getting it to the ground. If you would come into the bbq we had on Saturday you would have hung out with a-lot of good people.

That's about right for a great tune from Troy. We were surprised that it ripped off the 11.30 run also but it seemed to like the extra 2 degrees of timing. Troy wanted to put a few more in it and I said no, not taking a chance of hurting the motor. Woodburn was nice enough not to kick me off because of the roll bar rule.

We partied like rock stars with the Washington crew. Sad the weekend ended.

Like I said before, you can ask anyone that knows me and my car. Hell I will put you in contact with the guy that I bought the complete blower system from for $1000.00

Reactions: Bad daytona
#121 ·
Why didn't you tell me who you were? I met a ton of people over the whole weekend event. If you knew me you would understand I don't beat around the bush on what I have (I will tell you what I have). It took me 4 long years to get this car dialed in for a stick shift and it works. Motor has always made good power now it was about getting it to the ground. If you would come into the bbq we had on Saturday you would have hung out with a-lot of good people.

That's about wright for a great tune from Troy. We were surprised that it ripped off the 11.30 run also but it seemed to like the extra 2 degrees of timing. Troy wanted to put a few more in it and I said no, not taking a chance of hurting the motor. Woodburn was nice enough not to kick me off because of the roll bar rule.

We partied like rock stars with the Washington crew. Sad the weekend ended.

Like I said before, you can ask anyone that knows me and my car. Hell I will put you in contact with the guy that I bought the complete blower system from for $1000.00
we should agree to disagree and leave it at that.

#125 ·
I just pulled the trigger on an '08 SRT8...The dealer was kinda reluctant to sell it for 22K as it's a somewhat low mileage car and was a Dodge certified vehicle when the previous owner purchased it...(Only 50K miles when I pick up this one)...Mine is loaded with a sunroof and premium audio with amps...I can't hardly wait to pick it up!!!...When I first saw the title of this thread I was concerned...True, the first two owners took a HUGE hit in depreciation (20K over 8 years) but I don't think that these will depreciate nearly as much in the future...With the '08's being numbered first edition cars I believe that this year model will eventually hit a spot in price where they won't depreciate much more...Well taken car of cars are hard to find as they age..

Anyway, SUPER happy to now be a Dodge man having NEVER owned any Dodges in the past...(And I've owned over 60 vehicles when I was flipping cars)...My '12 Mustang is now for sale!!!

Kevin

#128 ·
I had choice between trading in my 2009 Challenger SRT Spring Special in B5 Blue for a 2016 Charger Hellcat, also in B5 Blue, or leasing the Hellcat and keeping the Challenger. Salesman offered me $21.5 for the Challenger which has 23,000 miles on it, Corsa exhaust, CAI, and Hurst shifter (all Mopar Performance Parts). Best he could come up with was me forking over the Challenger & $51.4. Really didn't want to part with the Challenger as it was the first year of B5 Blue and the Charger will be the last. 2017 is something called Contusion Blue, whatever that is. Wife said, "You're 74 years old, lease the damn Charger and if you haven't gotten your rocks off in 3 years, buy the damn thing!" So now instead of "Too Blue Two", I have "Too Blue Three". '72 Plymouth Road Runner GTX in the new Mopes "Sandwich"!

#130 ·
No remorse (said James Hetfield) in my garage. Pretty sure the previous owner didn't have any either. I'd had my feelers out with the dealerships for a few months (must be: SRT8, PCP, stick - didn't really care about the year). Got a call that an "old guy 70-something" had just traded in the 2010 for a 2016 (Scat Pack Shaker, PCP, automatic).

I used to think 70 was old, and 60, 50, 40, 30, 20, grade 8... but it is definitely relative so at 53 all I can think is Good for you Man, and a Huge Thanks for trading in. When I picked it up, a couple of young guys were standing around my car in the showroom. They were there to buy and hugely disappointed as I heard one say how "some old guy, like 50 bought it"

Window sticker had mine just shy of $54K Cdn plus dealer crap and taxes. Car had 18,666 km on pickup and I paid $32k. I figure it cost him $1.32 per km to own for 7 years. Obviously a fan and no remorse as he did at all again. Hopefully,I can do the same when I'm old. :)

(Sorry for the metric - I don't know Standard Philistine Measures)

#131 · (Edited)
I have some remorse with my 2010 SRT. Already cracked open the hemi (3 yrs ago) to add a lumpy cam (Scud/FRI), plus PAC springs, Manley forged rods and tune from Mike/OST. Cam alone gave me 50 WHP & WTQ. Regretting that I did not add in Extreme Heads (Also from Frank Racing), Long tubes & maybe an 85mm TB. That would've given me another 25-35 WHP/TQ.

Dangit...! :frown:

#132 ·
They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Here's my "visual answer" about having "remorse" for my 2009 SRT 6.1 Challenger. I thought about trading in the '09 on the '16 Charger Hellcat, and the dealer even offered $23,000 for the Challenger. My wife brought me to my senses with "hey dumbass, you're 74 years old, rent (lease) the Hellcat and after three years you still haven't gotten your rocks off, then buy the damn thing!"

I had "Too Blue Two", now I have "Too Blue Three"!

#133 ·
I know this is an older thread, but I do not regret my purchase of a 2010 SRT 8 a few months ago. I understand the newer versions as faster/quicker, with improved areas throughout. However, that does not diminish the joy I get each time my 6.1 starts up, or the old school muscle car vibe I get from it. I didn't have to get a loan for the car which just adds to the enjoyment. My two motorcycles are old and dated by modern sport bike standards. Don't care. They bring my joy. I plan to be buried in the gas tank of 1998 748. There will always be newer, faster and better. Two years ago the Hellcat was King, now the Demon has come. Doesn't change the fact the Hellcat is an awesome car.

#134 ·
I know this is an older thread, but I do not regret my purchase of a 2010 SRT 8 a few months ago. I understand the newer versions as faster/quicker with improved areas throughout. However, that does not diminish the joy I get each time my 6.1 starts up, or the old school muscle car vibe I get from it. I didn't have to get a loan for the car which just adds to the enjoyment. My two motorcycles are old and dated by modern sport bike standards. Don't care. They bring my joy. I plan to be buried in the gas tank of 1998 748. There will always be newer, faster and better. Two years ago the Hellcat was King, now the Demon has come. Doesn't change the fact the Hellcat is an awesome car.
Good common sense! Way to go. Not only do you have one of the sharpest Challengers produced, if you want later, you could stretch that 6.1 into a "old school" 426 c.i., very smart I say.

#136 ·
6.4's are faster and the new Mustang GTs are too but throw a couple grand for a cam and heads and you're good (I'll be doing mine soon. Wife gets her bolt ons for Christmas this year and I get some for the Challenger.)

I don't have remorse at all. I traded in a 2009 370z for a 2009 6.1 with 25xxx. Thing still turns heads and when I rolled up to a dealership to drop off the wife to get her car I always get asked if I am looking to offload it. Could just be them trying to make money but I'll take it as a compliment. Also, I may be bit partial to the look of the 2009 rear over the newer challengers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.