Engine ticking noise during cold start - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 04:04 PM
Member
 
swedishmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Illesheim, GM
Posts: 86
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Engine ticking noise during cold start

Does anyone else out there have this issue? Every time i start the engine when it's cold it ticks for the first few minutes. Sounds like a lifter or something. It goes away once the oil reaches about 80 degrees. This has been going on since i bought the car about a year ago. Should I be worried?

Thanks



2009 SRT8 6 speed brilliant black
Magnuson Supercharger
MBRP CB Exhaust
swedishmax is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 04:23 PM
Senior Member
 
sirava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: N.Y. Yonkers
Posts: 223
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
how loud ticking is???mine charger do same when engine is cold....after while sound go away...on challenger so far no problem...
sirava is offline  
#3 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 06:38 PM
Member
 
swedishmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Illesheim, GM
Posts: 86
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirava View Post
how loud ticking is???mine charger do same when engine is cold....after while sound go away...on challenger so far no problem...
It's not loud. But noticeable. It's like a gremlin is sitting under the hood tapping my intake manifold with a pen at a 16th beat lol
swedishmax is offline  
#4 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 06:49 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,262
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I had that noise a couple times when the car had not been driven for 2 to 4 weeks.

The "ticking" would last from 2-3 minutes. Since my first oil change (Valvoline Full Syn) at 1500 miles the "ticking" noise has not returned.



Last edited by DETOUR; 01-06-2010 at 09:46 AM.
DETOUR is offline  
#5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 07:11 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Simi Valley, California
Posts: 944
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETOUR View Post
I had that noise a couple times when the car had not been driven for 2 to 4 weeks.

The "ticking" would last from 2-3 minutes. Since my first oil change at 1500 miles the "ticking" noise has not returned.
Hemi's are famous for that tick. k.
kevbo10 is offline  
#6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 07:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 345
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
funny I noticed that for the first time this morning, but it was 8 degrees.
wayers57 is offline  
#7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 07:15 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Simi Valley, California
Posts: 944
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayers57 View Post
funny I noticed that for the first time this morning, but it was 8 degrees.
zip code 93065:

74 high / 47 low; all week

8 degrees?

that's barbaric!

kevbo

Last edited by kevbo10; 01-05-2010 at 07:18 PM.
kevbo10 is offline  
#8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator
 
Hal H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 7,816
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1,114 Times in 767 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishmax View Post
Does anyone else out there have this issue? Every time i start the engine when it's cold it ticks for the first few minutes. Sounds like a lifter or something. It goes away once the oil reaches about 80 degrees. This has been going on since i bought the car about a year ago.
While these Chrysler engines are known for lifter tick, mine doesn't do it. I've been using full synthetic oil since the original factory fill (5.7 engine) was changed.

I found that running a full synthetic oil keeps engines quieter or startup/warmup compared to conventional (dino) oil. Synthetic oil seems to adhere to parts after shutdown and flow better when the oil is cold...

I found this out with my other cars when I switched over to synthetics nearly 20 years ago. I haven't used conventional oil since.

2009 R/T 27J pkg (6 speed MT) ordered 7/17/08, built 10/23/08, home on 11/13/08

Eibach Sportline Suspension
Hotchkis Sway Bars
Nitto 555 Extreme 265/50-18"
392 Cam / DS CMR tune
Hurst /G&K modded short-throw shifter
Black gauge faces, lighted needles
Hal H is offline  
#9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 07:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 152
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hey guys i dont have the hemi but mine does that same thing is that something we should worry about? i have changed the oil on a regular basis. it really bothers me.
theo560 is offline  
#10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 08:21 PM
Member
 
swedishmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Illesheim, GM
Posts: 86
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal H View Post
While these Chrysler engines are known for lifter tick, mine doesn't do it. I've been using full synthetic oil since the original factory fill (5.7 engine) was changed.

I found that running a full synthetic oil keeps engines quieter or startup/warmup compared to conventional (dino) oil. Synthetic oil seems to adhere to parts after shutdown and flow better when the oil is cold...

I found this out with my other cars when I switched over to synthetics nearly 20 years ago. I haven't used conventional oil since.


I use the recommended Mobile 1 full synthetic. Always have... I've heard of others with this same problem so maybe it just is a characteristic of the HEMI
swedishmax is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific > 6.1L (2008 - 2010)

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engine Stall after Hot Start BadBlackR/T305 Challenger Issues & Problems 7 03-08-2013 02:03 AM
cold start rumble shake/click noise taking off brad3104 Challenger Issues & Problems 14 11-19-2012 05:27 PM
Tapping noise every time I cold start...is this really normal? Rpaulg87 General Challenger Discussion 45 08-20-2012 01:28 PM
Cold Start Behavior Yellow Jacket 2012 General Challenger Discussion 3 07-16-2012 07:45 AM
Clutch, Ticking Noise tomt23 Challenger Issues & Problems 3 07-04-2012 03:01 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome