Racing brake fluid - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 11:55 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Racing brake fluid

is it necessary to change the brake fluid before road course racing? i heard standard brake fluid might boil over. and would it be ok to leave it in after the course is over?

[B][U][I][COLOR="DarkOrange"]09 SRT8 FORGED HEMI ORANGE 426-HURST 6 SPEEDSHORT THROW,HI FLOW CATS,ZOOMERS, hemishop (aj) TUNE,180 TSTAT PROCHARGED STAGE 2- D-1- 14 psi 801 hp SO MUCH MORE

Last edited by EDDIE T; 10-14-2010 at 11:56 AM. Reason: mispelt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Garage
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDDIE T View Post
is it necessary to change the brake fluid before road course racing? i heard standard brake fluid might boil over. and would it be ok to leave it in after the course is over?
you heard right the dot3 boils at like 275* you can go with a dot4 and I think that will get you to 475* i would also suggest that you add the stop tech steel lines and replace the factory rubber, also upgrade your pads while your at it I changed out to the stop tech street performance pads

As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I may keep, and if I do begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride! - Amen!!!!
#3 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 12:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

(Thread Starter)
thanks for the reply
#4 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 12:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
So am I to understand the Dodge Challenger SRT8 only comes with DOT3 brake fluid in it?? That just doesn't sound right. Brembo brakes, high-performance everything, but substandard brake fluid? If that is the case, replacing the brake fluid just jumped to the top of my mod list, even above the KB SC..

I recall reading an article from one of the car mags this summer where they totalled a Nissan Z from a complete loss of brakes from boilded fluid. Anyone else read that article??

Tom

2010 PCP Challenger SRT8 6-speed
Hurst shifter | LockPick with front/rear cameras | Custom Badges | Mud Flaps | Sequential Tail-lights | Eibach Pro springs | JET 180 degree thermostat | Predator tuner | AAC purple Halos and grill LEDs | Meisterschaft midpipe/cat-back exhaust | AAC purple interior LED strips

2005 Dodge Ram SRT10 "Yellow Fever #285"
Too many mods to list...
#5 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 12:47 PM
Banned

Some people religiously change out fluids between races. I think it depends on how hard you drive your car that day, and how often you plan on racing thereafter. If you end up doing some pretty hard road racing where you've got your car out 15-30 minutes a run for several runs, you're likely boiling fluids.

I'd change my oil before if you're anywhere near to needing to change it. If not, change it after for sure. Like Jeff said, DOT 4 brake fluid is a good idea. This is what I use and it's good value for money (this is a full liter vs 16 oz...). You'll need to bleed the brakes properly, obviously. The vendor is good and can source you a power bleeder with the right attachment for your brake fluid reservoir. Worth the $50 IMO. If you want the bleeder, go to Motive's site and find the application guide. Then you can get the right adapter for your Dodge. Look into the bottle to help drain the fluid also. It'll save you some trouble/mess. Brake fluid is VERY corrosive nasty stuff, so be sure you rinse everything off around your brakes and wheels really good, then follow up later that day to ensure no more has dripped.

Amazon.com: ATE Super Blue Brake Fluid (1 Liter): Automotive Amazon.com: ATE Super Blue Brake Fluid (1 Liter): Automotive

Amazon.com: Motive Products Custom Ford Power Bleeder(0106) Ford 2 Tab: Automotive Amazon.com: Motive Products Custom Ford Power Bleeder(0106) Ford 2 Tab: Automotive

You won't need to change your coolant, but make sure it's topped up properly. Tranny fluid, that's a whole other ball of wax. You should be fine and hopefully Dodge has fixed all the failures the LX guys have suffered from. It's not the fluid, it's the need for a cooler. If you got an SRT8 you're better off than us R/T guys.

Have fun!

HemiSam
#6 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 12:48 PM

Yes,
if you're running slicks and aggressive pads.. if you havent yet... flush your brakes with some good high quality fluid.. I would run Castrol SRF (best.. but $$).

If its the first time out on a road track and on street tires and stock brakes.. i'd make sure everything is in good working order and i might bleed the brakes..

#7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 12:49 PM

might also consider looking in to speed bleeders..
#8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,126 Times in 774 Posts
ATE Super Blue (as Hemi Sam had in his links) is a good choice of DOT4 spec fluid.

Also, change your brake fluid every two years - hydraulic brake fluid is hydroscopic and absorbs moisture over time - bad for the ABS pump and brake components (corrosion).

Change that fluid every 2 and you'll be in good shape.

Sooner if you had a lot of heavy track days where the brakes got really hot.

2009 R/T 27J pkg (6 speed MT) ordered 7/17/08, born 10/23/08, home 11/13/08

Eibach Sportline Suspension * Hotchkis Sway Bars
Razor's Edge rear tension arms * Nitto 555 Extreme 265/50-18"
392 Cam & DiabloSport CMR tune
Hurst /G&K modded short-throw shifter
'70 Challenger R/T graphics (hood/bodyside) * Black gauge faces, lighted needles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific > 6.1L (2008 - 2010)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode