Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Srt8 top speed

46K views 46 replies 30 participants last post by  Joe c. 
#1 ·
Hi
I have a 2010 Challenger.
Do these cars have a limited computer top speed?
Has anyone been able to reach top speed in their SRT8?
What was it?
Doc

#2 ·
I'm not sure about the SRT8 but the R/T is 142. You can fix that real quick with a predator though.

#6 ·
Someone on here has a pic posted at 193 mph and I even heard someoen claim 203 mph.

#9 ·
I believe it. These cars are beasts.

#10 ·
I remember seeing a video where a guy hit 183 at the Mohave mile. He lost the front spoiler at 140.

#12 ·
I thought the SRT was computer limited to 168mph unless removed by a predator and that was because above 168mph you ran into integrity issues with body parts (i.e lowlife's one mile speed runs). I also thought the 2011 were computer limited to 180mph because of the re-worked front spoiler duct work allowed a higher top end.

#16 ·
I read in another thread that the limiter in both R/T and SRT is based on RPM. I remember the R/T is limited at 5800 RPM (around 145 mph) and the SRT at 6400? RPM (170 mph). The speed will be a little different for each car and different under varying conditions.

Anyone else read this?

#18 · (Edited)
No limiter. R/T's were limited due to tires. Not sure if they changed that when the STP was made avalable. Probably not, but if it gets the F1's, it could do without the limiter.
Mustangs and Camaro's are limited due to tires as well as I've been told.

It was a 7 part video. Too much traffic and rain in Germany, but he hit 169 mph in Italy on a Sunday morning. He had concerns about the sunroof at about 130. The videos were put up as I was typing lol

If you open up the exhaust and airbox, use a 6 speed instead of the 08's auto trans, you might get a few more mph out of it.
Hard to say, I don't think I've ever seen the difference in top end between the Auto's and 6 spd's. Less drivetrain loss on a 6 spd, but the auto might have different gearing?? Can't remember right now and too lazy to look.

#19 ·
There is a gearing difference between auto and stick. For an SRT8 with F1 tires these are the approximate RPMs at 170 mph:
Manual trans 5710 rpm in 5th
Auto trans 6020 rpm in 4th lockup

As the maximum engine HP is reached at 6000 rpm, you would think the top speed of the auto trans model might be 1 or 2 mph higher than the stick car.

#20 ·
There is a gearing difference between auto and stick. For an SRT8 with F1 tires these are the approximate RPMs at 170 mph:
Manual trans 5710 rpm in 5th
Auto trans 6020 rpm in 4th lockup

As the maximum engine HP is reached at 6000 rpm, you would think the top speed of the auto trans model might be 1 or 2 mph higher than the stick car.
If that's the case, wouldn't the manual tranny have another 290 rpm left in it; therefore, increasing the vehicle's speed over what was achieved at 5710rpm? What would be the manual's speed at 6000 or 6020 rpm?

#21 ·
At 6020 rpm on a manual SRT, the speed would be 179 mph. The car doesn't have enough power to go that fast, so it would not be able to put out its maximum horsepower, which limits the top speed somewhat.

The automatic car is geared better because it can reach maximum horsepower within a few mph of the top speed of the car. that should enable it to go just a bit faster than the manual car.

#22 ·
I do not know where this lock up thing comes from. I have the same drive train in my 2006 300C and it use to do 278km (172.6 mph) in 4th before the fuel shutoff occurred at 6400 RPM, and it had a maximum speed of 279km (173.4 mph) before it had the speed nanny arrive at 5350 RPM in 5th. That was until the tranny flash of 2006, before that I could hold it in the bottom 4 gears until fuel shutoff occurred at 6400 RPM. after the tranny flash it would not hold in gears past 6200 RPM at which time it would shift on it's own into the next gear. Last time I had my 300C up to 170+ it still shifted out of 4th into 5th at 6200 RPM or 269 km (167.2 mph) did it every time when I did high speed runs. Now when I have done the high speed run, the car will pull like mad until it shifts out of 4th at 167 and it will slowly climb past that up to 173. I believe the shift out of 4th into 5th is a real speed killer as the RPM's drop from 6200 to 5150 well down the power range of the 6.1. That all said, at 173 she is still pulling, slowly and does not seem to run out of steam there, I would venture to give the 6.1 in the 300C body configuration and bone stock at least 5 or 6 mph more given enough time and space. The engine RPM at that speed would be about 5500 RPM. So I would see the natural high top speed of the 6.1 configuration with auto about 178 to 179 mph. However, Nanny does not allow that. I assume the Challenger will be the same.

#28 ·
Yes it was 2:30 AM air chilled and thick ,The first time I had to kick it comming down the ramp , as soon as the ramp ended I dropped the hammer and began smiling , she flew watching the speedometer hit 180 made it worth every nickel . I found this car at SE used auto Part of Walpole Mitsubishi . The owner kept it garaged , Only driven in the summer , showroom condition and she rips up the road
However gas millage sucks

#27 ·
Not on point, but my 2010 R/T limited out at 141.3 a couple of years ago. I've got 100,000 miles on her now and the top speed I got on the back straight at Circuit of the Americas on 2/7/16 was 119.3, actually think I could have gotten a little faster there but didn't want to "over do it" my first time at that track, BTW, if you get a chance to go there by all means DO!!!!!

#33 ·
No, the factory does an electronic gauge sweep on some if not all cars. They don't drive them that fast. If they forgot to reset the top speed reading you'll see a big number.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.