2011 R/T intake: Stock airbox best? - Page 2 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Bolt On's Anything related to the quick Bolt-On mods. From Intakes to Exhausts. This includes Cams and Heads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 09:22 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Actually the LMI Air Hammer makes about 10 RWHP & TQ over the stock box..

Its reducing tube design actually creates faster & higher flow into the throttle body.

Proven to out flow other intakes, even the Frankentake IV which uses a 4" tube all the way.

I noticed once I installed the LMI Air Hammer that my car seems to pull harder at increased throttle, and overall, seems less restrictive, than the stock air box.. It definitely feels more responsive, "free-er", smoother, if that makes any sense..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 03:35 PM

(Thread Starter)
OK, so from what I've read (with respect to the shorter tubes), it seems that there are some tq/hp gains that are realized in the upper RPM ranges, with a sacrifice to some throttle off the line and in the lower RPM range resulting from the initial pull of higher temp air from the shorter intakes.

It seems these gains (and losses) are mostly from a less restrictive filter, and a higher air flow rate through the intake tube, which aftermarket systems seem to have over the stock.

I'm curious if this increase in flow rate is just a result of the nature of the shorter tubing, meaning that it is easier to pull the air through the shorter distance from the engine compartment rather than draw it from the length of the full cold air tube beginning under the fender.

With this logic (and I'm aware that I could be completely mistaken), it seems that an intake design similar to the Volant, which has a shorter pipe, a high-flow filter and a (mostly) closed airbox that draws from below the front fender as well as through the grill (the airbox has an opening at the front) would be the best of both worlds.

Thoughts?
#13 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 03:42 PM

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Re: 2011 R/T intake: Stock airbox best?

Tube length makes a difference. I had a intake tube that ran down past the stock intake box to behind the wheel. I modified it to a shorter ram style intake and there was a noticeable difference in power
#14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 04:10 PM

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by YO-EL View Post
Actually the LMI Air Hammer makes about 10 RWHP & TQ over the stock box..

Its reducing tube design actually creates faster & higher flow into the throttle body.

Proven to out flow other intakes, even the Frankentake IV which uses a 4" tube all the way.

I noticed once I installed the LMI Air Hammer that my car seems to pull harder at increased throttle, and overall, seems less restrictive, than the stock air box.. It definitely feels more responsive, "free-er", smoother, if that makes any sense..
The AFE Stage 2 cold air intake also uses this exact same design. I like mine a lot, and definitely noticed more get up and go. This is only for '08-'10 Challengers though, they changed the design in 2011.

2010 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic STP, sunroof, tint, 430 rbz, 3.92 gears, 6 speed.
MODS:
Zoomers catback exhaust
AFE Stage II cold air intake
Barton short throw shifter
Fastman ported throttle body
Diablo CMR tune by Johan
Mopar hood struts
Mopar strut tower brace
Spohn sway bar end links
Speedlogix rear adjustable control arms
Speedlogix tension bars
Jet 180* t-stat
SRT8 6.1 chin spoiler
Billet Technology catch can

Last edited by OmahaRumble; 01-23-2013 at 06:12 PM. Reason: only for 2008-2010 models
#15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 07:46 PM

(Thread Starter)
It seems that the Cervini's intake utilizes a similar reducing tube design... with the added benefit of making your hood scoops functional!

#16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 08:49 PM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
The Volant is a good design, which is why I went with it. I also didnt really notice a whole lot of difference. I liked the idea of an enclosed airbox.

Nick

2010 R/T:
Volant CAI
Diablo Sport Tune (91) CAI)
R1 Premium Rotors
Borla Cat Back
6.4 Shortys with mid pipes
Fastman Throttle Body
Hankook Ventus V12 - 255/45/20

Proudly Served - U.S. Army - 1996-2004
#17 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 to SRT8 View Post
What is the difference between charger intake tube and challenger intake tube? I have heard this a few times before. Is it a noise dampening filter in the inlet tube? Is this on all challengers including the 2011+ SRT 392's? I would like to delete this also, if in fact it is on the newer SRT's.
I also went with the AFE pro dry filter and left the stock CAI in. Not a believer in open air intakes inside a hot engine compartment. The legmaker and other types like it would make the most sense if anyone wanted to do a CAI. The stock box is sealed and draws ambient air from the outside of the engine bay that's good enough for me, IMO a high flow panel filter is the way to go and that might even be a waste if they are already using high flow filters right from the factory. I'm a little sour on aftermarket open CAI after putting one on my 2011 5.0, really didn't do anything.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Challenger intake tube (with "goiter") and Charger intake tube comparison:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0841.jpg
Views:	573
Size:	389.7 KB
ID:	60770  

#18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 06:40 AM

you may also want to look at the stack performance "bullet" fender pull...its got reductions in it made to force the air into the TB faster. it relocates the IAT sensor too. all of this is mentioned in rayzazoo's thread if you didnt see it. i have one on my car and it drastically lowers intake temps over the stock box in my case because i have the "lower radiator baffle" and SRT chin spoiler mods done to allow more cool air in.

09 Challenger R/T 6-speed w/ 3.92s

catch can
Hurst shifter w/Larry's mod
Jet 180* thermostat
HopNot total package
HopNot engine torque strut brace
M&H 275/50-17 Racemasters
Stack Performance Bullet CAI w/long IAT sensor
Email Tune from OST
#19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrot47 View Post
OK, so from what I've read (with respect to the shorter tubes), it seems that there are some tq/hp gains that are realized in the upper RPM ranges, with a sacrifice to some throttle off the line and in the lower RPM range resulting from the initial pull of higher temp air from the shorter intakes.

It seems these gains (and losses) are mostly from a less restrictive filter, and a higher air flow rate through the intake tube, which aftermarket systems seem to have over the stock.

I'm curious if this increase in flow rate is just a result of the nature of the shorter tubing, meaning that it is easier to pull the air through the shorter distance from the engine compartment rather than draw it from the length of the full cold air tube beginning under the fender.

With this logic (and I'm aware that I could be completely mistaken), it seems that an intake design similar to the Volant, which has a shorter pipe, a high-flow filter and a (mostly) closed airbox that draws from below the front fender as well as through the grill (the airbox has an opening at the front) would be the best of both worlds.

Thoughts?
Sounds like you really want to get a Volant, I would rather get one with dyno-proven gains...

'12 Challenger SRT8 Pitch Black 6-speed, stripe delete, all options
-AFR functional SHAKER hood, Hurst/Mopar short throw pistol grip W/Larry's mod, Corsa Extreme, Jet 180 t-stat, HEMI FEVER tune, BT catch can, ceramic tint/clear bra/C-Quartz...you know, some other crap too
13.56@104.38 stock tune/tires DA 7170 - that's 12.33@114.45 corrected!!!
#20 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 05:37 PM

(Thread Starter)
To throw more fuel on the fire...

What Does an Air Intake Resonator Do? | eHow.com
The Following User Says Thank You to rbrot47 For This Useful Post:
TheQ! (01-25-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Performance Modifications > Bolt On's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode