Dodge Challenger Forum banner

2012 Mopar CAI for 5.7

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  magnumforc 
#1 · (Edited)
For those contemplating installation of the Mopar P/N 77070044 Cold Air Intake Kit for your 2012 Challenger R/T, you should be aware of several issues.

First, the kit was not specifically made for the 2012 model; it was made for the 2011 model. It will fit the 2012 model but the instructions do not cover several points specific to the 2012, which I will cover here. These are easy for the semi-accomplished mechanic, but for the newer owner who wants to do a self-install, I hope this will eliminate any problems.

First, the 2012 5.7 engine was fitted with an air intake silencer that is a large proboscus type box to the left of the throttle body. This was not on the 2011 model. To support this silencer, an additional bracket is attached to the engine block directly below the silencer, and to the left of the throttle body. After the air box and silencer are removed, this bracker can also be removed as it is not needed for the new installetion. The bracket is held in place by an aluminum nut. I suggest you consider a bit of lube on the bolt to ease the removal and then replace the nut, leaving about 1/4 inch of space to full rundown when replacing it. More on the reason for that later.

You may find the IAT sensor connector to be a bit short. This is due to the change in the layout of the silencer and the intake on the old layout, the position of the sensor on the new cold air tube, etc. To gain enough wire to attach the sensor connector to the sensor, you may need to unwrap some of the tape from the wire bundles near the block where they are all wrapped together. This was the most arduous part of the installation for me, getting the tape cut enough without damaging the wires.

After freeing up just enough slack to allow plugging in the snsor, I used two small wire tites to connect the sendor wiring to that bolt where I took out the bracket for the air silencer. I told you it would come in handy. The 1/4 inch groove made the perfect anchor for the wire tie to keep a slight bit of slack so the wiring won't be pulled out. I'd like more but you take what you can get.

I hope this helps someone else out so when they look at their new kit and back under the hood, they don't wonder why the instructions don't cover all the parts you remove. Or what to do when parts don't fit. And, check the bottom of the box as one of the M6 screws was in the box and the rest in a sealed bak. Osmosis? Not so methinks!

Finally, does anyone notice a more throaty EXHAUST when they install the CAI setup or is that just imagination. After completing this I seem to notice a slightly aggressive exhaust note. Sure the intake growl is there (I have a six speed, which is less aggresive in the intake note than the autos) but I seem to detect a slightly lower pitch sound to the pipes. Who knows...maybe just wishful thinking.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Well, you took out the intake silencer/resonator. That extra noise you hear is likely coming from up front.
No..it's when I'm standing behind the vehicle. LOL.

Even better, I checked the gas mileage and the improvement is several MPG better than before the install. I'll know exactly how much better after a few hundred mile run. So far, this is a big Thumbs Up purchase. Now for the exhaust at JBA!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.