Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Adjusting fuel levels for long tube headers?

15K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  austindro 
#1 ·
I'm buying JBA long tubes with catless mids and I've heard mixed things, that I need to adjust my fuel levels, that I don't, etc. any advice guys?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#3 ·
Gotcha, after I put the long tubes on ill have to save up for a tube, I should be fine without a tune for a month or two though right?

#5 ·
#6 ·
#8 ·
I had ARH 1 7/8" longtube headers with high flow cats installed, along with their catback system, as well as a K&N CAI, and didn't have my SRT tuned for over 1.5 years afterwards. In the beginning, I was really afraid to get on it, for fear of running to lean. After awhile, I got more and more daring, to the point of going wide open through all of the gears much lot of the time. The only issue I had was the CEL was on within 25 miles after installation, and stayed that way.
Remember, my 2011 could NOT be tuned until Diablosport cracked the code. After they finally did crack it, I bought a Trinity tuner and had my car dynotuned. While all headers are not created equal, from my experience running untuned with ARH and a CAI, the dynotuner said my air/fuel ratios weren't that far off. There was a marked improvement before and after it was tuned, however, as evidenced in the scan below. The tuner said there was still a LOT left in it, but my knock sensor was pulling timing for some reason, so he created a separate tune with more timing advance. He said it could have been bad gas, but stupid me had just added Chevron fuel injector cleaner the day before AND I also never had a catch can installed, so I wondered if all of the "oil vapors getting into the air intake manifold" causing timing to be pulled had some truth to it. I'll never know for sure.
I don't recommend taking chances, and tuning certainly will give you better peace of mind, not to mention a BIG jump in performance! I'm not even sure what years are tunable at this point. I haven't read anything about the 2015's being tunable, for example, so whatever year you plan on modifying, make sure it can be tuned is my advice.

Attachments

#9 ·
#10 ·
I'm buying JBA long tubes with catless mids and I've heard mixed things, that I need to adjust my fuel levels, that I don't, etc. any advice guys?

Since you have a Trinity, just add 5% fuel across the board and you'll be fine. Catless on a 392 will lean you out .2 A/Fs, LTs probably another .2%.
Do some logs and send them in for a custom tune. That is where you'll optimize your mods. Have them turn the rear 02s off so you don't get the CEL,

As long as you are in closed loop, your ECU will adjust based of the front 02s. Open loop (WOT) is where you need to add some fuel.

#11 ·
Thanks for the info! After figuring up costs and everything I plan on going to dyno next day

#12 ·
Thanks for the info! After figuring up costs and everything I plan on going to dyno next day

Tell us the results brotha! I just ordered my BBK LT headers and catless mids! I am getting my custom tune from hemi fever tunes. But not running her on the dyno just yet.. where di dyou purchase your extended 02 wire thingy?lol

#14 ·
Do you mind shooting me the link bro, I'm having some trouble finding it, thank you!

#15 · (Edited)
Cleverly hidden on the header order page

Looks like part# 1118, $49.99

(copy and paste this entire link or it won't work)

BBK : 2005-14 Dodge, Chrysler Hemi full-length exhaust headers[]=1298&car_motor_key[]=1309&car_motor_key[]=1348&car_motor_key[]=1584&car_motor_key[]=1671&car_motor_key[]=1697&car_motor_key[]=1708&car_motor_key[]=1754

I've seen some mention they didn't need them, but I'd sure hate to be in the middle of the job and not have them at the ready.

#16 · (Edited)
I drove with JBA longtubes and catless mid pipes for months, went to the drag strip and got on her plenty of times and on "closed roads". No problems at all. You will throw a CEL due to the O2 sensors, the only way to get rid of that is through a custom tune.

You'll be fine though. Bought my o2 extensions through summit for my jba LTs. We didn't need them but the current wires were stretched to the max which I didn't want, so I got the extensions. My recommendation, get em it'll save a lot of frustration. Lmk if you need a link.

#17 ·
I drove with JBA longtubes and catless mid pipes for months, went to the drag strip and got on her plenty of times and on "closed roads". No problems at all. You will throw a CEL due to the O2 sensors, the only way to get rid of that is through a custom tune.

You'll be fine though. I bought my o2 extensions for the jba long tubes through summit. If you need a link, lmk.

#18 ·
Okay you guys, I just put on my BBK long tube headers and catless mid pipes..... it was way to loud for me lol. It sounded amazing at idle and wide open but casual drive and the raspy-ness around 2K RPM was embarrassing. so I went the next day to install two HF mini cats and it is so much better now! Its still freaking loud but a beautiful 1960's hemi loud.. idk how to explain it and I put the 91 tune on it and the car pulls sooo hard. cant wait to get my custom tune... but when I brought it to the exhaust shop the guy tightening my header bolts forgot to disconnect the battery and touch the hot wire and shorted and broke my alternator -__- my battery light came on then eventually the car died.... so now its in the shop being fixed.. once it comes out ill make some awesome videos :)

#20 ·
My JBA headers and mids came with 2 02 extentions, I assume all i need is two?

#21 ·
Are you also running mufflers or just straight pipe after cats?

Sorry for late reply bro but just straight pipes after the cats, sounds perfect!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/QUOTE]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.