Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Anybody familiar with Fastman and his Throttle Bodies

81K views 160 replies 46 participants last post by  Rob446 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Dan's work is second to none. I have compared his throttle body to a typical aftermarket one, and his is more detailed in it's work to it. On top of that, his units are 1/3 of the cost of the big name ones. He really cares for his customers and takes the time to help if there are questions/concerns.

I've had 2 before; one on my Ram, and one on my Challenger. I loved the improved throttle response, and crispness it had once I installed my Fastman throttle body. :icon_cool:

#3 ·
Thanks for the testimonial, OR. I take it you never had any problems with his TBs at all, right? No codes?

#5 ·
I bought a Fastman throttle body... Absolutely, positively 100% happy with it. ZERO issues at all. I only wish Dodge would contract him to prep all throttle bodies prior to dealer delivery.

Mike

#7 ·
I cant believe you've never heard of his TBs before on this forum.

I'm also running one and VERY happy with it. WELL worth the price.

#8 ·
Thanks to all of your testimonials, I pulled the trigger on an 85mm (technically an 84mm) from Fastman. Gracias, guys.

- R

#9 ·
You do realize that the oversize 84mm TB is for cars with major mods, right? Heads, cam, forced induction. Looking at your list of mods I would of gone with the standard one. Just looking out for ya! Don't want you to get the wrong one.

#12 ·
O.R. -

So I emailed your concern to Dan and he responded with one line:

"You have a 6.4L. You have the cubic inches to back it up."

:rocker: Heh heh. Thought that was pretty cool. Thanks for your concern, though. Appreciate it.

- R

#13 ·
@ Omaha:

My new TB should be arriving tomorrow. When I do the install, do I have to reset my PCM afterwards via a fuse #2 pull or by disconnecting the battery, or will the computer self adjust to the bigger air flow?

#14 ·
Another question, do i need to tune this. I am stuck with the forever lasting encryption PCM.. i was thinking of a TB and maybe some SRT8 headers for my R/T. But no point if it will make my car run like **** without tuning.

#15 ·
Matty - I run the stock tune with my Fastman TB on my 2010 R/T. No problems at all and it works great.

RobF - It wouldn't hurt to do the fuse pull deal, but I don't think you have to. My R/T adjusted to the modified air flow with no problems.

Mike

#22 · (Edited)
To everyone interested, I will post my Butt-Dyno impressions here after the install. Dan said that the most notable changes on a 392 will be a quicker response throughout the rev-band, and a smoother, more intense delivery of power especially in the powerband.

Reactions: scottie
#24 ·
there was a tracking number that he had given, but it was USPS, so it was pretty much a joke. I just received mine recently and installed it. Full port job

Initial impressions, smoother response, other than that, only a dyno could confirm any gains as I really couldn't tell, especially with all this heat lately.

On a side note: Car ran prefectly until I had to disconnect the battery to install my DashDaq. Upon hooking the battery backup and goofing with the DashDaq, car was idling for a few minutes and starting to surge while idling to like 1.5 grand or so, and doing it every minute or so. I really didn't pay much attention to it as I was working a grounding issue with the DashDaq. Which I will have to fix once I return from work this next Thursday.

I will tighten up some Catchcan clamps to ensure there are no vacuum leaks and do a throttle recal procedure. Hopefully that resolves it! ;)

I wonder if the extra airflow could be causing extra pressure in the crankcase and might be causing a catchcan line leak? Anyone confirm that the extra airflow would increase pressure within the engine? If so, more blow-by might be prevalent?

Anyways, just thinking ;)

Take care and hope to see ya'll on the road! :D

#27 ·
I want this to be my next mod, however im just not sure.. I do not do any racing or anything like that, is it worth it for daily driving as well. Im not a grandpa or anything, i do get on her some. but i dont go to the track. you know?

#30 ·
I want this to be my next mod, however im just not sure.. I do not do any racing or anything like that, is it worth it for daily driving as well. Im not a grandpa or anything, i do get on her some. but i dont go to the track. you know?
This mod has nothing to do with racing. It has everything to do with improved driveability, hair trigger throttle response which allows for more control. This is an ideal mod for a daily driver. For racing, or getting lots of HP, this is not the mod for you. Most people who buy his throttle body are extremely satisfied. I'm on my 2nd one already with my Challenger and my old Dodge Ram I used to have. My Challenger is a daily driver, including snow and ice. No problems having the Fastman TB.

#28 ·
Once again, "I'm just a lttle late to the party," but having just purchased and installed a Standard Modification "847" for my 5.7L, I thought I'd add a word or two regarding my experience with the Fastman Throttle Block.

First of all, as most everyone has said...The Fastman TBs can almost be called "elegant" with respect to the way in which it was machined. The quality of the "work" is a "perfect 10."

Having said that, however, I'm very glad (and fortunate) to have bought a virtually brand new one on eBay from a fella who had just installed his and, for reasons I forget, sold his car after having reinstalled his stock TB.

As a result, I bought mine for $175 "all in" as opposed having paid the going rate of $300 + a $12.00 shiping fee directly from Fastman. And......with ALL respect to Dan, who once again, rendered a beautifully machined modification, I don't think that it's a mod that's quite worth $300 + costs. Many others, will of course, disagree.

In my case, and on my "bone stock" 5.7, with only a MOPAR CAI in place as the lone mod, it simply seemed to provide a mild improvment in throttle response + an accompanying sound,reminiscent of old 4V secondaries "kicking in." Personally, I found it to be worth just about what I paid for it - no more.

Once again, all of this is entirely one man's personal opinion and is not intended in anyway to dismiss the Fastman product as many have cheerfully thought the improved airflow well worth the "going rate." I'm sure the value of this particular modification could be argued until 'the cows come home." :ninja:

Respecfully,

Gary aka "beamg5"

#29 ·
Thanks. basically i was wondering if it was noticable outside of a dyno. I too have just a CAI, and Res delete. sooo bone stock!!! lol THanks

#32 ·
I bought a new one from Dan, and kept my old piece. Mainly because I needed my car for work, and couldn't wait for it all to be done then shipped back.

Giving Dan your original TB is much cheaper, however rather than buying it.

This post has been deleted
#35 ·
I bought a used T/B off a Challengertalk member.. sent mine in to get modified.. ran the other one til I got it back, then sold to another member looking to do the same thing. Sold it for the same price I bought it so it worked out fine.

Don't ask me why I switched instead of just sending the used one in, but I just felt like having my original back (albeit modified).

Mike

#38 ·
I recently had a TB done for my 2011 Ram work it is great and I couldn't be happier. For Daily driving it is perfect. I added a MOPAR CAI with it and there is a noticeable difference across the board. I just returned from a week long vacation with lots of driving and I saw immediate results on MPG with the "new" TB. My average before was around 16-18 on cruise at 70. Now, I got around 18-20. Loving that!

#39 ·
There is an article in a Mopar magazine where they tested an 85mm TB on a 5.7L (The car dynoed was actually a Charger or Magnum, can't remember), and they used they 85mm on that 5.7 which had nothing more than CAI.

The CAI netted pretty big gains, and then they added the TB, and noted minimal gains of 2hp and 7lbs of torque, BUT it flattened out the torque curve substantially.

The article also mentioned something about calibrating throttle with the new TB (not just a "throw it on and go", but there were a couple of steps in there, to get it calibrated correctly)...I'll see if I can find the article...

For the record, I will do a 85mm TB as part of my "Phase IV" mods...just not there yet...Plan to add it same time as headers and custom tune

#40 ·
Are these really worth it? I've heard of great things about it but also heard about idling issues such as the rpms jumping up and down. Can someone else elaborate?

#42 ·
I absolutely love mine! I've had one before when I owned a Dodge Ram. The mod is so great beacuse you get instant response from the throttle. It takes away the lag that is notorious for the drive by wire throttle body. Another thing to note is that Dan is a very honest and talent machinest. He has always been there to answer questions and help out with making customers happy.

Yes some will say "just use the throttle boost on the Diablo tuner", but I say the throttle body mod has a more smooth, natural response when you hit the throttle. I never liked the feel or jerkiness of the throttle booster option. Plus with the ported throttle body you get an increase in HP and torque (reasonable amounts, nothing big).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.