Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Barton Shifter Received

11K views 34 replies 18 participants last post by  Cookie 
#1 ·
Got my Barton Shifter in the mail today. I will be installing it on Saturday. I am very excited about this Mod. After reading all the reviews on this Forum, I am glad I waited for the Barton instead of jumping the gun for the other one.

#6 ·
All I can say is Wow. It is absolutely amazing the difference in the shifting. Although it was a time consuming modification it was well worth it and all the cuts and scrapes on my hands and fingers. I cannot believe the difference. The best thing I have done to the car so far, without a doubt. Thanks Barton Industries for a great shifter.

#9 ·
On my pending list as well. A bit expensive, but all I've read is how much of an improvement it is over the stock shifter. Looks "mean" in black.

I'm assuming well worth the money?

#10 ·
Well worth it in my opinion. The shift pattern is so much shorter from gear to gear. It quiet as well. I have held off on the other one because of all the complaints I have read about how loud it is. Also, the need to buy a kit after you buy it to fix it just was not setting well with me. Not to mention the Barton is made in the USA and as a Retired Army Vet, I am all about "made in the USA". The installation was not hard, just time consuming. Especially if you have big hands. Overall, so far, it was well worth the investment. I had no idea just how much slop the factory shifter had until I drove Lucy with her new Barton. Amazing. Thanks again to Barton Industries for such a fine and well engineered product for our Modern Muscle Cars.

Reactions: Rainmaker1984
#12 · (Edited)
Got it all installed. I thought something looked off during the process, so I called Dave, and despite it being after closing, he picked up and set me straight. It feels so much better now. I only took a quick blast since it's pouring out but what a difference. Nice and tight, good click feel with no slop and sure of where I'm headed. I'm curious to see how it feels cold but thus far, top marks for the product and its maker. Thanks Dave

#13 · (Edited)
#16 ·
I used my factory pistol grip shifter. I like the feel and the look. I think most go with the ball and stick from Barton, but I wanted the pistol grip. Also, it is about $75 bucks cheaper using your stock pistol grip from the factory. To each his own I say.

#19 ·
I can't tell from the photos either but I'd bet your right. I don't believe the Barton
is any taller than the Hurst but the Mopar shifter achieves it's short throw by virtue
of it's shorter length, unlike the other two. IMO If Barton came out with the option
of a slightly shorter flat stick it'd be perfect.

#20 ·
I'm hoping that barton will make a shorter flat stick in the near future. Did anyone else notice that the shifter (not the handle, I know it's adjustable) sat at an angle to the drivers side after installed? I know everything is installed right, just looked a little off before I put the boot back on. Basically it looks like it comes up through the rubber in the floor pan higher on the passenger side.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Attachments

#24 ·
I'm hoping that barton will make a shorter flat stick in the near future. Did anyone else notice that the shifter (not the handle, I know it's adjustable) sat at an angle to the drivers side after installed? I know everything is installed right, just looked a little off before I put the boot back on. Basically it looks like it comes up through the rubber in the floor pan higher on the passenger side.

Yeah, Its designed that way. The linkage is on an angle. If we didn't design it that way, then you would be inline with the 5-6 gears instead of the 3-4 gears while in neutral. Shifters that dont use centering spings and just simply rely on the linkage to center the shifter can be made straight, we use centering springs so we had to match the angle of the linkage.:thumbsup:

#21 ·
I think its supposed to since the factory shifter is canted that way. I also think I remember reading that it can be centered and perhaps even canted away from the driver. Don't hold me to that though.

#26 ·
A beefy adapter to bolt on any Hurst 2-bolt stick would also be a great addition. I want to order a Barton but also want the classic style pistol grip. I can get a Gunslinger handle or Mopar handle that is modded to use the stock type square peg but it doesn't look too strong.

#29 ·
If you make a shorter stick - 1"- 1 1/2" shorter I'd be VERY interested. I must bought a Barton and installed it and would love it a bit shorter.

I also would be interested in a pistol grip. I did like the feeling of the stock shifter.

#30 ·
I'm about to do this mod but I'm having trouble deciding on the actual lever. I'm currently running the Mopar short-throw shifter and love its relatively short height, but I really dig that all-black Barton ball shifter.

Anyone go from the Mopar shifter to the Barton ball shifter and dislike the extra roughly 2" height difference?

#31 ·
That is exactly my problem. After going from the mopar short throw to the Barton I feel like I'm way too high when I grab the shifter. The shifter feels crisp but I really didn't shorten my throw up at all because of the length of the Barton. I do like it but I'm hoping they come out with a shorter stick very soon or I mor have to go back to the mopar short throw

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.