Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Best cai??? (Merged Threads Again)

11K views 51 replies 23 participants last post by  willrome225 
#1 ·
Hello everyone Im stuck at a crossroads between choosing a Cold Air Intake for my 2015 Scat Pack 392, R2C or aFe POWER MOMENTUM GT PRO 5R? Also will be adding the hellcat headlight tube. Please let me know which one you'd guys go with for optimum HP gains. :grin2:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Best cai??? Sos

Hello everyone Im stuck at a crossroads between choosing a Cold Air Intake for my 2015 Scat Pack 392, R2C or aFe POWER MOMENTUM GT PRO 5R? Also will be adding the hellcat headlight tube. Please let me know which one you'd guys go with for optimum HP gains. :grin2:

Attachments

#9 ·
Welcome to CT. Take some time and read all of the dozens of posts on this subject and you will find out the hellcat intake box and tube will work very good for you. Most of the aftermarket kits will suck in hot air from the engine compartment and you will lose power. Save your money for a tuner, then you will see a big improvement.

#4 ·
That's what I was thinkging. The difference in performance between any of them is probably 1 or 2 HP at the most.

#6 ·
B5RT15 where did you buy that netting that you installed in the headlight?

#11 ·
#10 ·
Thank you DodgeHemi61 but quick question, with the hellcat intake box and tube what filter do you use? the stock one in the car or is there a better aftermarket one if so can you provide a link?

#12 ·
Im going with this one. K&N 69-2526 Typhoon

Attachments

#15 ·
Already did. 218 bucks with the recharge kit. I already have a baseline dyno and will do another after install in a few weeks. We shall see if the K&N is the real deal or not.
I will post up when I get the info

#22 ·
sounds good, post the results to this page forum if you don't mind!

#19 ·
its the only one that makes sense being that the air goes straight from the headlight into the intake, very pricey though... here was the dyno from their website. if you end up installing this let me know how it works out!

Attachments

#23 · (Edited)
The stock air filter will do a good job for you. It will out flow the throttle body, so most aftermarket high flow filters will let more dirt get in your engin but you will not get any gain out them, unless you supercharge the engine.
One more thing about the hellcat set up is, it will be drawing air from the front of the car, and that is as freah as it gets.

#48 · (Edited)
I just purchased the "MOPAR HELLCAT AIRBOX W/ HEADLIGHT TUBE 15-16 CHALLENGER" from SpeedLogix, as i want to stay as close to stock as possible and I like the ability to suck in cold air from outside the car the same way Hellcats do on my SRT 392, as opposed to hotter under hood air.
Made the purchase a few minutes ago and SpeedLogix already processed and shipped it!!!!!!

#24 · (Edited)
Best CAI for 6.4L

So I'm reading constant forums on this site people going back and forth stating CAI is the way to go then others saying your better off just using the Hellcat air filter box with the air inlet connecting through headlight.

My question is: Would it make sense to add a CAI to the 6.4L (i have the 2015 Scat Pack) and ALSO remove the plastic caps to both driver and passenger headlights to allow fresh air to come inside? OR Will it be a better idea to just do the Hellcat air filter box with the air inlet connecting through headlight with a K&N drop in filter and call it a day?

I was told that "Most of the aftermarket kits will suck in hot air from the engine compartment and you will lose power." Ok if anyone could explain this it would greatly be appreciated because I'm still learning here but if air was to be entering under the hood from BOTH the driver and passenger headlights essentially that means the temp under the hood would be less hot meaning that the "aftermarket kit" will be sucking up cool air not hot air? does that make sense? someone help me out here lol

- Also im not looking for whats cheaper I'm looking for whats going to give the car more HP and also What brand CAI to go with, aFe? LMI? JLT? MOPAR? Speedlogix? R2C? Volant? ect....

#25 ·
So I'm reading constant forums on this site people going back and forth stating CAI is the way to go then others saying your better off just using the Hellcat air filter box with the air inlet connecting through headlight.

My question is: Would it make sense to add a CAI to the 6.4L (i have the 2015 Scat Pack) and ALSO remove the plastic caps to both driver and passenger headlights to allow fresh air to come inside? OR Will it be a better idea to just do the Hellcat air filter box with the air inlet connecting through headlight with a K&N drop in filter and call it a day?

I was told that "Most of the aftermarket kits will suck in hot air from the engine compartment and you will lose power." Ok if anyone could explain this it would greatly be appreciated because I'm still learning here but if air was to be entering under the hood from BOTH the driver and passenger headlights essentially that means the temp under the hood would be less hot meaning that the "aftermarket kit" will be sucking up cool air not hot air? does that make sense? someone help me out here lol

- Also im not looking for whats cheaper I'm looking for whats going to give the car more HP and also What brand CAI to go with, aFe? LMI? JLT? MOPAR? Speedlogix? R2C? Volant? ect....

Here we go.... :) A lot of people are going to recommend the Hellcat air box and I won't discredit that for a mod.

However, I still believe that a GOOD CAI can add 10 rwhp or so.

My personal recommendations would be either R2C or JLT. I've ran both and I'm currently using the JLT.

They are both reasonably priced and are both excellent quality. The JLT has shown a 14 rwhp on one dyno session, so I definitely believe it is worth at least 10 rwhp on average.

Reactions: ledsledrt and Jmure
#28 ·
I feel like Bill Murray in Groundhog Day.

#29 ·
And that was BEFORE I saw that the OP posted 2 threads on this subject. :browsmiley:

#34 ·
Hellcat Air Box Filter Choice

For those of you who did the Hellcat Air Box mod, what type of air filter did you guys end up using? the stock? K&N? AEM? and also did you open up both headlight holes or only the driver side?

Those of you that picked AEM could you shed some light on this video against it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc456nt1mUY

:fight:

#42 ·
For those of you who did the Hellcat Air Box mod, what type of air filter did you guys end up using? the stock? K&N? AEM? and also did you open up both headlight holes or only the driver side?

Those of you that picked AEM could you shed some light on this video against it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc456nt1mUY

:fight:
Jmure, I have merged this into the threads I merged yesterday. Please post in this thread rather than starting another new one as they all pertain to the same discussion.

Bernie

#36 · (Edited)
I went through this years ago with my then new, Cummins CR truck. A vendor was advertising a 50HP gain on a forum like this one. So I challenged them. Send me the CAI in question and I will pay to dyno it before and after. If it makes anything close to 50 HP I will pay full retail for it and if not, it's free to me.
It made 9 HP and only did that at peak RPM's. (Had same results just using a washable replacement filter BTW)

I have measured and found the stock air filter on our cars to be restrictive (>27"/H20 @ WOT).
That test I did on my stock Cummins was at RPM's around 3000.
Seeing as how our engines turn twice that RPM I suspect it's possible that a freer breathing system could add a surprising amount of power but it's one of those things I'd have to see for myself to believe because it's just too easy to screw around with a dyno's results.

Reactions: Jmure
#37 ·
Seeing all these "CAI" threads over the years, have made me feel this.............You may like the looks of one better than another, you may like the sound that you get with one, but don't get your hopes up that you'll see the "advertised HP gain" that is claimed.

I plan on driving my new Scat Pack with the stock set up through the summer, and will see how it feels in hot weather. I'm more concerned about drivability and "feel" when heat soaked, so any CAI gains for me would just be based on how the car drives when it's extremely hot out.

If I do decide that something needs to be done, I'll go with the factory HC set up. It's been engineered well, and it's cheap, but I sure don't expect any noticeable HP gains from it.

IMO, most street driven cars will never see/feel the HP bump, if there is any.

Again, JMO, a CAI is mostly for looks and sound, and anything after that is a very small "bonus".

#38 · (Edited)
The CAI's are always an interesting topic with views on each side of the spectrum for sure. They do provide some horsepower gains but nothing spectacular by any means. They certainly look better than the stock air box and really isnt going to hurt anything to add one. If you are traveling down dusty dirty roads every day would only really be the time you shouldnt use one. All in all, what makes you happy in the end is all that matters.

Yes I'm putting one on....... flame me or flatter me...... I dont really care either way.

#39 ·
I really like the Arrington Carbon Fiber CAI, I had it on my 2013 SRT8, the Car ran better and definitely pulled harder with it, especially after I installed the Solo High Flow Cats, and Billy Boat 3" exhaust.

Land vehicle Vehicle Engine Car Auto part

Auto part Vehicle Engine Car Hood

#41 · (Edited)
I got the AEM but next time I would just get the Hellcat filter which breaths as well and is a big improvement over the stock 392 filter.
Mopar 68172549AA or Mahle LX3482

Regardless of the the video guy "thinks it looks like", the AEM flows about 50% better.
And I say that because I actually measured the pressure drop accross it in my own car.

#45 ·
Oiled filters are no good, I would never swap a dry filter for an oiled one so no, I wouldn't replace what you have with an oiled filter.

Just my $0.02.

Reactions: chipset35
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.