Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Catch Can Eye Opener

33K views 65 replies 30 participants last post by  trippytro 
#1 ·
I was reading an older thread about Oil Catch Can's and a member by the name of "R/TClassic" made the following statement:

"If a catch can was beneficial it would be installed at the factory.if the HEMI blows that much oil into the pcv system we are in big trouble anyway,plugs would be getting fouled,sensors would be failing etc..."

Here is the eye opener...I purchased a 2014 Chevy Camaro SS/1LE back in 2013, and the "1LE" is the factory installed performance package.
Anyway...guess what was in the trunk of every new 2014 Camaro SS 1LE?
A brand new OEM catch can with a warning statement printed on a sheet of paper, mandating the catch can be installed.

Thus, the dealer installed it on mine right there.

The bad news, is that the paper also stated not to use it in cold temperatures, and that it is for off road/track use only where higher temperatures are imposed on the engine.

I was not about to keep taking it off in winter and back in summer, as I only drove the car when it was not raining or snowing.
This is due to the fact that the GoodYear F1 Super Car track tires it came with from the factory (part of 1LE performance package) pretty much limited the car to being driven above 40 degrees, as those tires get harder the colder the temps are, and are barely legal (almost slicks) right from the factory are worn out by 5-12k miles tops.
Also, if the car is stored outside or driven in freezing or below temps, the tires begin to fall apart.

Thoughts on this "mandatory" dealer installed OEM catch can experience when considering the situation on modern Challengers?

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
This Camaro catch can install didn't work out so well ..

GM voids engine warranty over catch can - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
The SS 1LE has a different Oil Pump than a regular SS. Part of the 1LE package.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326260

Also, I want to install a catch can on my new Challenger and the service guy could not even find it as a MOPAR part number.
He even said although he has seen a couple of Challengers come in with catch cans, I am the first customer he knows of to actually inquire about one.
Also, some guy on this site claims the 5.7L Hemi already has some sot of catch/can oil seperator built into the valve covers.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3192900

#3 ·
I ran a can on my last Challenger and run one on my current, never any warranty issues. After seeing the mess and KR issues by not running one I'll always have one on my HEMI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: R.L.K.
#4 ·
I was reading an older thread about Oil Catch Can's and a member by the name of "R/TClassic" made the following statement: "If a catch can was beneficial it would be installed at the factory.if the HEMI blows that much oil into the pcv system we are in big trouble anyway,plugs would be getting fouled,sensors would be failing etc..."
The problem is a gradual and cumulative one. Over several years, you could lose some power as the PCM retards the timing due to an oil deposit build up. The question is, why do you want to burn this by-product crap in your engine?

There are many catch can threads on this forum. I fully agree with the beneficial effects of a catch can and have one on my 6.1 SRT.

#7 ·
Pat Goss of Motorweek's Goss' Garage recommends one...

Shameless plug
I got one for sale int the Classifieds Section.
I took it off my '12 392 but it don't fit my Hellcat (got one from BT instead)
It fit nicely on the front of the 392 and affords easy access for emptying.
It caught 2-3 oz (or more) between oil changes... I was happy that all that oil
wasn't getting into my top end and throttle body.

#8 · (Edited)
One very big difference between the Challenger and Camaro; Ours is port injection, theirs is gas direct injection. A catch can is mandatory on a GDI engine unless you want massive and rapid carbon buildup on the intake valves. On a Challenger it's something nice to have but would not make a noticeable difference especially if you use top tier gas. I had a 2014 Silverado 5.3. The GDI problem hit home with me when I saw a GM Forum member post pictures of his intake valves after just 30k miles. Looked like it had 150k miles. That is why I now own a Ram and will be getting another Challenger soon. I will not buy another GDI vehicle unless I have to or they come up with a fix. Apparently Toyota is putting an auxiliary fuel injector in the old port location for the sole purpose of cleaning off the intakes on their GDI engines. Ford has stated there is no cleaning available on their EcoBoost engines due to the turbos being damaged by any chemical so they say when drivability problems occur due to carbon buildup, replace the heads. Everyone has gone to them except for good old Chrysler. A couple European makes mandate that the intake be removed and the valves be blasted with crushed walnut shells every 30k miles as routine maintenance. I'm sticking with port injection.

#12 ·
unfortunately for some, it seems like they kept the emissions cleaner by letting the junk build up in the motors. i guess longevity was not part of the plan!

#13 ·
There's no proof that using a catch can gives you longer engine life.
Motors have been running for hundreds of thousands of miles without them just fine.
Look at all the Toyotas with the 22R engines than run for 300,000 miles or more, no catch can.

#14 ·
Posted this on a different thread I thought was this one

I still have not put a CC on because I have a Bad case of warranty phobia. I have a lifetime warranty and plan on keeping my car for a while. What's confusing while reading through CC threads are guys who adamantly say it won't void your warranty, but later say they remove it before taking their car in for service. If there is no warranty issues, why do some remove their CC before taking it in for service. I don't carry old parts so if my car craps out in the road, I won't have the means to start removing mods, so for me it's the warranty issue. And yes I saw the thread about the camaro CC warranty issue. I do believe they work and should still be a MOPAR performance option

#15 ·
I never removed mine before warranty work, have the lifetime warranty on my current car and had it on my last one, and nobody can VOID your warranty for just using a catch can. That's against the law.

#24 ·
According to the Camaro owner, GM has indeed voided his entire Powertrain Warranty, not just denied this one claim. GM's position is that a catch can is not simply an aftermarket part that you are allowed to use under Magnuson-Moss, but it is a modification to the factory design and that modification can and in this case, will, void any warranty on the modified part (engine). Why they voided his entire powertrain I do not know but that is what has happened. Below is his entire post on this..

Final resolution from GM

I have heard a final resolution from GM.

However, first I want to say a huge thank you to everyone in here, I was simply hoping to air my story and see what happened. I never dreamed it would turn into what it did. The idea of a petition never crossed my mind, and I am very grateful for Mr Stacy and the things he did for me in this. I am grateful for everyone who signed the petition, and those that didn’t sign, but offered words of encouragement or advice, and the ones who sent me PM’s to encourage me. As anyone can imagine this whole situation felt like a kick in the nuts, and everyone here has really helped me pull through it.

GM’s final verdict is that my entire powertrain warranty will remain blocked, and they will not fix my car. The catch can may or may not have been the causes of the failure, but according to the owner’s manual any modification can void your warranty. I knew going in to this, like everyone, else that what I was doing could void the warranty, but I listened to the stories online of “I have X, Y, and Z mods and I got warrantied”. I took a calculated risk that adding the catch can would not void my warranty, and I was wrong.

Now before everyone goes and blames GM on this please understand something. I also greatly believe that your relationship with your dealer, as well as the knowledge of the dealer plays a HUGE part in what does and/or doesn’t get covered. Like several have mentioned I had my car taken to a GMC Cadillac dealer who may not have had much experience with the Camaro and the LS3. That lack of experience and knowledge about the car may have led them to believe my car was more modified than it was. Your experience may vary at your dealership. Your dealer may have more knowledge, and may know you better, and may cover your car with a catch can and a cold air intake. However GM’s stance is that modifications void your warranty, and I understand and agree with that.

GM will not be fixing my car, and I understand and agree with them on why they won’t. If they fix mine because I only have a cold air intake and a catch can, where does it end? What about the guy who only has intake and shorty headers but no tune? What about the guy who has only this or only that? Where do they draw the line? GM drew the line at NO modifications, and that is ok with me.

Now again before ya’ll rush off to sell your cars or burn them down or picket GM, please understand something else. I did not take what I was told by GM to be if you have fuzzy dice on your mirror your warranty is done or if you have different tires, or used none GM fluids. I took it to mean that if you added modifications to the vehicle. If you added something that was not originally there or significantly altered your vehicle with none OE equivalent parts then you were voiding you warranty. I took it as so long as the parts used were OE or OE equivalent replacements you would be ok, and that makes sense to me, and I agree with it.

Could I continue to fight this and take it all to court? Sure. However I don’t have the money, time, or energy to go to court over this. I need my car up and running, and can afford to do so, so I will be fixing my car myself. I greatly appreciate everyone who donated money to the GO FUND ME (you should be getting a refund) but I don’t want to fight this in court.

On a positive note, now that my warranty is done, I am free to mod to my hearts (or atleast my wallet’s) content. Again THANK YOU to everyone who has supported me in this, I cannot express how helpful all of this was for me. And please don’t let this shake your faith in GM, they are a company that got put in an awkward situation and had a choice to make, and made the one that protected them, and I do not blame them at all. GM still makes a great product, and I will probably continue to be a customer in the future.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

#27 ·
Slidd, I don't know the guy or the whole story since it's just one side of it, but the GM warranty does not state that the entire warranty will be void if mods are done to any part of it. The guy's story is an interesting one, but it's also the exception and not the rule. It's also the one story being referenced repeatedly as the cautionary tale. But it's just one story. And half a story at that.

I'm not going to say that it should be dismissed entirely, but think about this. If it were really a warranty issue caused by the catch can then why is this the only example out there? How many thousands of cars are out there running catch cans with no warranty issues?

Food for thought.

#29 · (Edited)
I will say that the only way I will not install a catch can, is if I am leasing a car and do not plan on keeping it. I put a can on my 13 RT when I purchased it new and have taken it to the dealer every 2k for an oil change, and they have never said anything about it. I empty the can before I take it in, and there is always 2 inches of oil in it. So if you want a gummed up mess in your engine, do not install one. I installed a Billet Technology can and it works great. I have only owned one chevy back in the 80's and it was a V8 vega that I built, so I did not worry about a warranty.

Attachments

#30 ·
I was a complete non-believer when I first started reading forum posts about catch cans. I read all the arguments and finally decided that it couldn't hurt anything so I installed one, with 13,000 miles on the car. I now have 25,000 miles on it and have drained the can several times, the last time just a few minutes ago. Here's some pictures showing how much has been collected in a 20 oz Gatorade bottle.

My dealer has never mentioned it. However, I guess that could be due to not ever having a warranty issue. I'm 3 years into a 7 year warranty and certainly hope it never causes a claim problem.

Attachments

#33 ·
I keep my OEM tube in the trunk. If I did have a "major engine failure", and I was far away from home, I could pull the CC and put the tube on in 5 minutes or less.

A "just in case" thing, if I do run into a major problem, and a major idiot dealer.

May sound stupid, but heck, there's tuner companies that "preach" the same thing....."take it off and they will never know!" LOL

#44 ·
OK men,you talked me into ordering a speedlogic front mount dual chamber cc for my 2015 5.7 with 5000 miles on it.....looks like it will mount to the factory stud where I removed the wart from the intake with the hoses running straight to the factory outlets.....I ordered the black one to look more factory stealthy....also believe it or not I like the big "snow saucer" engine cover and I think the cc hoses will run under it without cutting....Some questions .... Do you have to protect the belts and alternator from oil drips when you empty the can?.....does the steel wool material in the cc cause enough restriction so as the factory system doesn't work properly?.....last guestion...there is a hose on driver side of engine running from the oil fill tube to the top of air filter box(bypassing the filter)....seems like this would be a bigger concern with oil fumes being sucked directly through throttle body and intake....thanks ....Len

#45 ·
I had no problems with the lines running under my 5.7 engine cover.

The hose from the oil filler neck to the air box doesn't bypass the filter and isn't a vent line, it's the make-up (supply) line for the PCV system, the vacuum from the PCV pulls air into he crankcase through that line, the engine isn't venting anything into the intake from it.

#46 ·
Thanks Yahooligan.....makes sense as a supply line.....hopefully the restriction of the cc doesn't allow the system to '' reverse flow'' in say wot situations.....actually I think vacuum drops @ wot so probably not a problem....maybe I think too much lol..... in a couple of threads it refers to the 2015 5.7 as having a factory oil separator ....does anyone know if this is true for sure?.....Thanks .....Len

#47 ·
Yeah, not a problem at WOT. The low vacuum causes the PCV valve to open all the way so there's no flow restriction. The CC won't restrict the flow.

Both the 5.7 and 6.4 have rudimentary air/oil separators in the intake where the PCV valve is but it doesn't work very well, thus why we run catch cans. :)

#49 ·
I have seen the light, Speedlogix catch can on order (and saved 10% today). Makes sense for me, I plan on keeping the car for my grandson who is 2.5 years old now and bought the lifetime warranty, so might as well do everything I can to keep her clean. Only have 1000 miles on her so far so the CC will be a great add on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.