Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Which catch can to keep engine cover?

9K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  RWL11 
#1 ·
After reading about the benefits of the catch can, I would like to order one. However, I looked at the BT catch can at shophemi, and it says it cannot be used in conjunction with the engine cover.

Can someone please tell me which catch can to buy that will allow me to mount it somewhere and retain my engine cover?

#4 ·
You can not use the z bracket with the engine cover, If you do not use the facotry air box you can use the standard bracket. Or if you have the engine cover and the factory CAI box then you need the optional fender mount. Hope this helps

#10 · (Edited)
I have the BT catch can with the standard mount and its the hoses that get in the way of the engine cover. I don't use the engine cover... I might get the half covers to protect the coil packs.
(I have the clean air duct too)

Reactions: Wild West
#11 ·
I have the BT/Speedlogix catch can and have the engine cover in place using the supplied + factory hoses and fender mount for the can.

I wish I would've done the intake tube first, then I could've used the engine mount. Oh well. :)

#12 ·
yahooligan: I have the fender mount too, but have not made the switch to the smooth intake, yet. I am going to swap for the Charger intake tube, then buy the standard mount bracket. Why? I think we will have to unbolt the catch can from the fender mount every time we want to empty it. With the front mount, all you have to do is loosen the bolt, then swing the can until you can unscrew it. What are your thoughts? I'm thinking we will still be able to route the hoses under the cover, it looks like there will be room.

#13 ·
I've had my can on for over 20k miles, cleaning the can only takes a hex key to remove the bolt that holds the can to the mount, then unscrew the bottom and empty it out. Not a pain at all. :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#14 ·
Vehicle Engine Auto part Car Automotive engine part

I ordered my Speedlogix catch can with the fancy silver fittings, which have a larger than expected diameter. When I installed it, those fitting are right up next to the structure, and when I remove the hex bolt, and try to reattach the can, the holes don't line up well, and I almost stripped out the threads in the fitting. Moving the assembly to the front will allow me to get the can in and out easier. I want to remove that bulbous looking resonator anyway.

Thanks for your input!

#15 ·
View attachment 61090

I ordered my Speedlogix catch can with the fancy silver fittings, which have a larger than expected diameter. When I installed it, those fitting are right up next to the structure, and when I remove the hex bolt, and try to reattach the can, the holes don't line up well, and I almost stripped out the threads in the fitting. Moving the assembly to the front will allow me to get the can in and out easier. I want to remove that bulbous looking resonator anyway.

Thanks for your input!
I'm not sure I understand, are you saying you remove the lines when you empty the can? I don't get how you're almost stripping out the threads in one of the fittings, I don't touch the fittings or lines when I empty mine. I remove the hex-head bolt that mounts the can to the fender mount, lift the can up, unscrew the bottom, empty, and so on.

Re-attaching the can is just as easy, I have no problem lining up the holes to screw the bolt back in. I would like to move the can to the front of the engine just to clean things up a bit, but I can't seem to find just the mount.

#16 ·
see those big ass silver fittings? They make it so the can assembly itself barely fits in there. I have only just installed it, and right away I knew this wasn't gonna work longterm. If I had no fittings like in your situation, I think I would be in the clear like you. I paid for the darn fittings, I like how they look, so I don't want to ditch them.

#17 ·
Yes, but I lift the can straight up after flipping open the windshield washer cap, even if I had the fittings they wouldn't hit anything. All I have to do is slide the hoses over the opening of the washer fluid cap and then I can unscrew the bottom. Sorry if I'm missing something obvious, I just don't see what the fittings will hit if you lift the can up. :confused:

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#18 ·
yahoo: here's a close up shot of my can: Auto part Engine Vehicle Automotive design Gauge

The big a$$ fitting give me no wiggle room to take it out and re-install.

I bought a Charger intake, and ordered a new front engine mount for it. When I get that mount, I am moving my can to the front.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.