Catch can and strut brace questions - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

» Featured Product
Auto Insurance

Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Performance Modifications > Bolt On's

Bolt On's Anything related to the quick Bolt-On mods. From Intakes to Exhausts. This includes Cams and Heads.

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 03:09 PM

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Catch can and strut brace questions

I've been reading about the catch cans. They are designed to keep oil out of the intake components, right? Mopar sells these? Are the aftermarket better looking? I have 200 miles on my car and thought it might be a good idea to get one of these cans now. However, I'm worried about the warranty--will this void the warranty? Also, I like the brace that runs from strut to strut in the engine bay. I particularly like the larger diameter silver one I've seen but can find the manufacturer? Anyone offer help here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 03:24 PM

Forgot to mention that the car is 2013 with 5.7 liter. I noticed an additional plastic compartment where the catch cans are being mounted. What is this--part of the air intake? I guess the catch can may have to be modified to fit a 2013?
Attached Thumbnails
Catch can and strut brace questions-dscn3504.jpg  
Old 11-25-2012, 05:24 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Talking No void

No a catch can will NOT void the warranty ( I dont think) The strut brace you thinking of is a Mopar brand also.
Google (images) mopar strut brace. You should see it there.
Powder coated SRT rims w/metal accent

Challenger sills & mats w/pedal dress up
Quad rear tips
Mopar steering wheel upgrade
Blend Mount
Sequential tails
Hurst kit
B.T. c/can

Pettys tower brace x 2
Eibach front sway bar

KW V2 coil overs
Pedders F & R

Last edited by snowcat256; 11-25-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:22 PM

void warranty

the catch can is a modification of the PCV system and could be interpreted as a reason to void the warranty if THIS part of the system fails DUE to the catch can. Do not rely on my opinion or the interpretation of warranty coverage by others on the forum. To be 100% sure the best bet is to do nothing to your car. I have a catch can and so do most of the guys on the forum and i have not been called out on it by the dealer....but if you want to be ultra safe, set it up so you can remove it before you take the car in for service work
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big D For This Useful Post:
KaptainSpaulding (12-24-2012), snowcat256 (11-25-2012)
Old 11-25-2012, 06:30 PM

Yes, that is part of the stock intake, I believe its some type of "baffel" if you go with an aftermarket CAI there is a bracket left there that most of the catch cans are mounted to, as for mounting it while maintaining the stock intake, maybe someone else will chime in on that because I've never seen one without an aftermarket CAI.

Originally Posted by Mid-life crisis muscle View Post
Forgot to mention that the car is 2013 with 5.7 liter. I noticed an additional plastic compartment where the catch cans are being mounted. What is this--part of the air intake? I guess the catch can may have to be modified to fit a 2013?
Old 11-25-2012, 07:08 PM

Your catch can/oil separator options range from Billet Tech, Moroso, Stack Performance, Serious Metal, Big Bully, and now Arrington. Just pay attention to what mounting options are available and will suit your needs. Mopar doesn't make one as far as I know.

The thicker front tower strut brace is probably the Mopar unit. There are many other manufacturers out there, like SpeedLogix/Racer's Edge, Petty's Garage, Drake, Lakewood, etc. Just know that not all will fit a 5.7L with the engine cover still on.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:59 PM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Originally Posted by Mid-life crisis muscle View Post
That added plastic is an air silencer. You can get a 6.1l intake tube to replace it .

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 11-25-2012, 09:14 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Yahooligan
You can order a 2011 Charger intake tube to get rid of the silencer, or you can leave the intake stock and get a fender mount for the catch can like I currently have on mine. No need to get a CAI to make room, besides the factory intake is one.

I have the Charger intake tube and would like to move my can to the front of the engine but I need a different mount. Oh well.

There are a lot of different braces out there, too. Mopar no longer makes one, though, so you'll have to get a used one or go with another brand like Razors Edge (They make them for Speedlogix), Drake, Petty's Garage...

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
- 2011 Challenger R/T Classic GWE 6-speed, 27M, Hurst Billet Pro shifter, SX catch can, SX skip-shift eliminator, JBA Cat4Ward headers, Solo Mach-X cat-back w/ J-pipes, 180 t-stat, DiabloSport-tuned, Charger intake tube, BC coilovers, Razor's Edge front and rear 4-point braces, SPC UCAs, SPC rear camber bushings, Michelin Pilot Super Sport 255/45ZR20

Old 11-29-2012, 07:23 AM

This catch can, I assume it must be emptied at some point?
Old 11-29-2012, 07:53 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It's a smart idea to empty your catch can every time you change your oil. That's what I do. I do oil changes around every 5k and my can is half full.

We carry the catch cans and a plethora of different strut braces (including the Mopar). We can customize the catch can to your liking and get you anything you need! Just let me know and we'll get you set up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Performance Modifications > Bolt On's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.