Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Cold Air Intake - 2016 RT Scat Pack

Tags
cai intake
58K views 56 replies 30 participants last post by  ekladmit 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

I have a 6.4 RT Scat Pack coming in a week and wanted to know if you recommend any CAI. I know they all say they will increase HP and TQ but which ones can really live up to that. What do you think of the Air Raid. I don't mind spending money just let me know whats best.

#2 ·
Do the Hell Car Eye Mod, other than that CAI are mostly for looks and sound. Dodge has done a good job with the air intake for these cars

#39 ·
I agree 100 percent with the Hellcat air filter box and tube, I am using the HC box my self. Take some time and do a search on this subject and you will find out how good the HC works. As others said most aftermarket CAI kits will suck in hot air from the engine compartment, and you will loose power from heat soak. Plus the HC set up is hundreds of bucks less than the aftermarket units and will work better.

#3 ·
I would drive it for a while first, then decide if you really want to spend the money.

I also agree with PSM450's comment on the HC mod. I've had my R/T Scat Pack less than a month, and I'm not sure if I will add it or not, as the car is running like a beast.

The HC mod can't hurt, and it would be the only one that I would consider, but that's just me. All others are way more show than go, and at a higher cost for what is really gained.

Best of luck and enjoy your SP when it arrives. Amazing rides! :)

#11 · (Edited)
Google is your friend: Air Catcher headlamp feeds 2015 Challenger SRT's Hellcat V8 - SAE International

"“The hole in the headlight was actually put there because we required a certain amount of pressure drop across the intake system to generate 707 hp,” Cowland told AE. “Certainly if we took that away and we increased that pressure drop across the intake system, we would lose horsepower. We’ve never measured it by blocking it off or taking it away, but it could well be seven horsepower.” A second inlet point is located underneath the airbox."

As for the tube that goes from the headlight intake to the box, I bought this for $39.99 from Speedlogix, cheaper than the pressed material in the stock one: AFE POWER DYNAMIC AIR TUBE 15-16 CHALLENGER.

#10 ·
the hellcat mod is better than a cold air set-up unless you want the look of a cai on your car.the hellcat mod is 1/2 price of a cai and bolts right on and is getting its fresh air from outside the car(cai is sucking warm air from under the hood)

#13 ·
Void Bumper to Bumber Warranty?

Does anybody know if the hellcat airbox from Steve White voids the warranty? Even though I'm a car newbie it looks like an easy mod to make.

Another vote for the Hellcat Airbox with connecting headlight tube. Cheapest and most effective "CAI" mod there is on these cars.

#14 ·
It wont void the warranty, its a factory part used in factory location

#15 ·
SWM is the place to buy it. Just make sure you use the CHA1 (or TURKEY for black Friday) discount code and it will be cheaper than what they even sell it for on fleabay.

#18 ·
I went with the K&N 71 Blackhawk and pulled both headlight plugs! The photo shows two black clamps missing, had to have K&N send them to me after install. Love the set up!

Attachments

#21 · (Edited)
I purchased that very one for my 2012 srt...Nice unit but no seat of pants and it also had an annoying whistle just off idle... I 'm doing the Hellcat bottom and tube for my scat pack..already have it just need to install...(took a nice drive to visit the peeps at Steve White motors)

There HC set-up nice as well as being factory designed and made too so that is a bonus to me. (Dodge says 9hp on Hellcat) They have no reason at all to lie. ;)

enjoy your car...I'm heading out for a windows down drive as we speak...

Reactions: 73RallyeJA5
#22 ·
I spray water directly in mine every time I wash it. All it does is run out the bottom.
I didn't notice any more sound with the HC inlet - even when I got down directly in front of the intake.

Reactions: 73RallyeJA5
#25 ·
I installed mine today...agree no louder at all. Inlet temps ran within 4 degrees of ambient temp after about 2 minutes or so at 40 mph..Should have been installed on all Challengers from factory imo with plug or no plug option left with the owner...Will be interesting to see if it cools any faster wot......and 0-60 runs any better.

Has to be as good as any other CAI for the Challenger..especially for the money.

#23 ·
#28 ·
I dropped by Speedlogix today and picked up the Hellcat air box and tube I am waiting on the D.I.P.S. head light screen to arrive before I install it.

#31 ·
Which intake is better is subjective.

If you want something thats quick, easy, cheap and better than the stock set up then the HC mod is perfect.

If you want the best CAI, the Legmaker fender pull. More expensive, more work to install but the best performance.

#36 ·
Will this mod work or have any performance improvements for the Scat Pack Shaker? Since the Shaker looks like it comes with a CAI with an open air filter, I was wondering. I like the concept of an actual working Ram Air feature, and you cant beat the price.

I already have a '15 SXT, Im in the market for a '16 Scat Pack or Scat Pack Shaker. - Just forward planning.

#41 ·
Installed the HC box and DIPS on just the driver side. Had DIPS on the passenger side but didn't like how I could see the windshield wiper fluid box and stuff so put the headlight cap back in there. Not too bad of an install.

#44 ·
I did the hellcat lower aircleaner box with headlight tube and 2 DIPS here as well.very happy with it. temps certainly drop faster after sitting at stop lights or in traffic and then resuming driving. the more fresh air the better it seems.
s/c

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.