Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Hellcat intake -- how did you address gap on headlight?

10K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  RWL11 
#1 ·
So I installed my hellcat airbox today. I am not too happy about the tube that goes to the headlight inlet though, seems there is too much of a gap and it might be sucking in more engine hot air.

For those of you that installed it, how did you address the gap? Clamp it? Leave it alone?

I read some people put on a coupler but not sure which size I would need.

#5 ·
I just wrapped some thin black monkey tape to reduce the gap all the way around

#9 ·
I went to the dealer today for an oil change and they had a Challenger Hellcat in the showroom. Out of curiosity I checked the intake. It was VERY snug and fit perfectly, which means the looseness of the Hellcat intake on the 392 should probably be addressed in one way or another, like the weatherproofing rubber foam adhesive mentioned previously.

#10 ·
I have a roll of that foam tape from when I had a tonneau cover on my pickup, it worked great. I also used that foam tape to seal around the hole in the bottom of the airbox, where it aligns with the hole in the structure. The stock airbox had this foam seal, the Hellcat Airbox did not.

#13 · (Edited)
When I got my recent dyno and tune the tuner was going to remove the air filter to determine if eliminating any intake restrictions say with a CAI would improve the max HP. After they looked at it they said that the open at the bottom airbox in the Scat Pack would trump any CAI. Leave it alone, and forget a CAI.

I had the tune at Leading Edge Tuning in Houston, Texas. Erick the owner knows his business.

2 Videos of the tune can be seen here, if you are so inclined to watch them:

This video was to help promote LET, because IMHO they are good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXlWa4aUeQg

This video shows several of the 7 dynos they performed to get the curve smooth and right for 1/4 mile passes (5th gear dynos, gear the car goes thru the traps) yes 5th gear dynos aren't 1:1 resulting in a lower max HP reading... I don't care about the max HP, just want the best 1/4 ET.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjAlcZr4ES8

Attachments

#11 ·
keeps large amounts of water from entering during heavy rain IMHO...

#14 ·
When I installed my hellcat airbox, I didn't care for the factory paper/felt tube that went from the headlight to the airbox, never mind it's cost. I opted for the plastic/solid tube from AFE, and it fit great. There's no air gap, and its very smooth on the inside as well. For $39.95 shipped, I was happy. It's just another option...

Attachments

#15 ·
You wouldn't happen to have a part number for that tube, would you? I am having the same thoughts about the felt tube as well.

#17 ·
Heated, here's a quick pic of the label from the box to the tube... Text Guitar accessory Musical instrument accessory Font Footwear

Ultimate, that's interesting. I'll keep an eye out for that. But, I've had no issue in the six months it's been installed. There actually doesn't seem to be much room for it to move really.

#23 ·
Heated, here's a quick pic of the label from the box to the tube... View attachment 676177

Ultimate, that's interesting. I'll keep an eye out for that. But, I've had no issue in the six months it's been installed. There actually doesn't seem to be much room for it to move really.
I have one of these just sitting in a box in my garage. It doesn't work with a 2020 Scat Pack with the lighted intake tube. $25 plus shipping if anyone is interested!

#19 ·
. . . For those of you that installed it, how did you address the gap? Clamp it? Leave it alone? . . .
I left mine alone. I don't care about any miniscule amount of engine bay air that might sneak in there.

#20 ·
So about the foam strip around the headlight tube....for those that did it, did the hellcat tub fit OVER the rubber foam, or did you press into it?

I bought the same foam as specified in the video but my inlet tube wouldn't go over it. I just let it press into it, which seems to accomplish the same thing anyways for a seal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.