high flow cats - please advise - Page 2 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Bolt On's Anything related to the quick Bolt-On mods. From Intakes to Exhausts. This includes Cams and Heads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 07:20 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I had Magnaflows previously and Solos currently.
Mags made the exhaust louder but added a bit of drone and caused my check engine light to come on.
Solos didn't change the sound much if at all but did not add any drone and didn't cause any codes.

Neither system increased power enough to be felt by my butt dyno.

Maybe RT's have more restrictive cats and you will feel a benefit, but I personally would have spent the money else where knowing what I know now.

If you don't already have one, a tuner is the best bang for your buck mod you can do IMO.

2011 SRT8, Auto, Edelbrock SC 10psi, 604 RWHP, Wiseco custom forged 2618 pistons, K1 forged rods, Moldex custom ground and balanced crank, Kooks LT headers and cats, ATI Super damper 17% OD, Corsa Extreme cat-back, Airaid CAI, Fastman 85mm TB, Walbro 400lph fuel pump, SCT tuner, AutoMeter gauges, T/A hood (functional), Staggered Zenetti Bellagio wheels

Built and tuned at Blue Collar Performance

Last edited by Zman6; 11-29-2012 at 07:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 04:16 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hey Chris, I live outside Van Meter. You think we'd ever have a problem with cat deletes? I don't want fire coming out my exhaust LOL, but I think it would have a nice tone witout them, not to mention the extra power. I went out for a ride today in the SRT, it was a nice day... tomorrow better. Been a good year for it!

'10 Toyota RAV4 green
'13 Toyota Tacoma TRD
'14 GT 500 silver and black
'11 GWE SRT Challenger - traded
#13 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph_SI View Post
I'm seriously considering adding high flow cats to my 2011 RT. Please advise me.

Will they throw codes? Will the car pass inspection? Will they give me low end gains? Better throttle response?

JR
I have seen about 20 hp from high flows. First they are NOT street legal, and they don't pass emissions.

That said, some companies like soho have figured out how to get around codes, and the states which use the computer to test emissions. Some states don't actually measure the exhaust, they just plug into the computer and ask it, is the cat ok? and if the computer says yes, you pass. The way to get buy with a non street legal car is rear o2 extensions. With the extensions the sensor isn't getting all the data and it "lies" to the computer making it think the stock cats are in place and no codes, and emissions are passed despite the fact the actual gas exiting the tail pipe is exceeding the legal limit.

A car with cat back, or cai is ok with either the stock tune or DiabloSport tunes. If you install headers, high flows, cat delete, camshaft, turbo, supercharger, bore / stroke, any of these or any combination of them require custom dyno tuning.

For example an r/t with shorty headers requires 3-5% fuel. and they produce about 9-10 hp. High flow cats release about double that so, its really going to be lean, and you need a custom tune to be safe, and realize all the hp they offer.

07 3.5L Charger K&N CAI, Magnaflow Cat back, JBA shorty's, DS 93 tune, sold, 2010 Challenger R/T 5 speed. 180 degree Thermostat, fan settings lowered, CC, ceramic brake pads, slotted rotors, red and black caliper paint, Challenger label for calipers, Corsa Cat back, functional hood ducts, and hood struts, 93 DiabloSport tune, Mopar drop in filter, JBA Shorties, Wideband O2, custome tweaked tune, Anti-sway bars front and rear, end links, strut brace, 12" subwoofer with amp.
#14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 08:14 PM

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptmachine View Post
Hey Chris, I live outside Van Meter. You think we'd ever have a problem with cat deletes? I don't want fire coming out my exhaust LOL, but I think it would have a nice tone witout them, not to mention the extra power. I went out for a ride today in the SRT, it was a nice day... tomorrow better. Been a good year for it!
Sorry i missed your reply. I dont think we would have a problems with the cats. Alot depends on what brand. Solo claims no codes. Other wise we would have to have a tuner do a tune. And around here there aint nobody that knows sqwat about dodge

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

2009 SRT
ARRINGTON TVS 2300 8LB BLOWER WITH A.J. TUNE & MODERN MUSCLE THROTTLE BODY WITH LMI FENDER PULL INTAKE
ARRINGTON FRONT STRUT TOWER BRACE
BILLET TECH FUEL DOOR BADGE, DOORLOCK PINS, DEVO STRUT TOWER COVERS, COMPLETE UNDERHOOD KIT IN RED, POP CAN DELETE DISC'S, SRT WHEEL CENTERS, DOOR JAM INSERTS
CANTON SUPER CHARGER COOLANT TANK
BARTON SHORT THROW SHIFTER WITH MOPAR SHORT THROW HANDLE]
CUSTOM HEAD RESTS
SPEEDLOGIX A-PILLAR POD WITH AUTOMETER CARBON FIBER GUAGES
#15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 11:12 PM
Banned

I have on my R/T Challenger SRT Stock Shorties, Magnaflow Mids, and Corsa Sport for SRT.

No Check Engine Light - Thanks to Red Barron and B&G Tune
No Drone at any RPM - Thanks to Corsa Sport
0 to 60 went from 5.4 sec to 4.9 sec

I like them, but a set of Factory SRT Mids would be just as good on a R/T IMO.
#16 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speregrine View Post
I have on my R/T Challenger SRT Stock Shorties, Magnaflow Mids, and Corsa Sport for SRT.

No Check Engine Light - Thanks to Red Barron and B&G Tune
No Drone at any RPM - Thanks to Corsa Sport
0 to 60 went from 5.4 sec to 4.9 sec

I like them, but a set of Factory SRT Mids would be just as good on a R/T IMO.
That's good for about +50hp so slightly over 6.1L hp to the rear wheels.

The high flow mids will flow more than stock srt-8, because the stock srt-8 cats are carb certified street legal including California. Other cats are not, because it cost money and because most if not all are high enough flowing they don't meet emissions standards. That's how you get more hp, more flow, more emissions, more hp. When emissions go up, you are quickly over the legal limit, and they know that so they don't even bother testing.

Unless your magnaflow cats are carb certified, then its very likely they have quite a bit more flow than stock srt-8 cats, and give about double the hp gains, around 20 for the cats alone.

The way you don't get check engine light, is they turned off rear 02 sensors with the custom tune.

With that gain in 0-60 your right on 6.1L speeds, so its very likely they are high flows, or in other words much more flow than stock srt-8 and not street legal / more hp than stock srt-8 cats.

Last edited by Challenger370; 12-19-2012 at 04:34 PM.
#17 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph_si View Post
i'm seriously considering adding high flow cats to my 2011 rt. Please advise me.

Will they throw codes? Will the car pass inspection? Will they give me low end gains? Better throttle response?

Jr
solo mach x

2010 R/T Classic, 6 speed manual
MODS: 30% and 20%tint, BT-nose button, BT-door sills, BT-catch can, K&N CAI, SOLO Mach X, , front license plate bracket tie wrapped lower mod, DRL's Activated, Skip-Shift eliminator, Passport 8500 Blue Light Radar detector w/blend mount wired through powered mirror, Hood props, WebElectric Flashers, 180 degree tstat, Solo MachX cat-backs, Diablo Trinity, Barton shifter
[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Kevin/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]
#18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevo R/T Classic View Post
solo mach x
By "solo mach x" he means, look at solo, they have figured out how to cheat the system and fake out the rear O2 sensors so you don't get codes. If their inspection is via plugging into the computer, because the computer is being lied to, it will pass that emissions test. If on the other hand they plug a sensor in the tail pipe, they will fail emissions test. They are officially off road only, not street legal. Low end gains, throttle response, about 20 hp, or the equalivant of cat back, cai, and DiabloSport tune combined, or slightly better.

Just remember they will lean the a/f ratio and you need to add fuel. That either requires a wide band O2 welded in, or a custom tune via dyno.

In other words, solo aren't street legal, but they are designed to cheet the system and will pass as long as they don't stick a sensor in the tail pipe. Most emissions testing now doesn't actually measure the exhaust, so for most people it will pass emissions, and not throw codes.
#19 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 07:38 PM
jjo

Smile

Inspite of the CEL's that can be eliminated by a good tune,
I luv my magnaflow catted mids. In combo with flowmaster
50's the SRT sounds great. I do feel a difference in throttle response
at upper rpm's (wishful thinking perhaps?) but still noticeable.

$Money well spent !

Last edited by jjo; 12-19-2012 at 07:39 PM.
#20 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 08:19 PM

The rear o2 sensor is calibrated to the stock cats, high flows don't convert as much of the exhaust to non polluting emissions, therefore they do throw codes. When the a/f ratio is in a safe zone tuning has little to do with the rear o2's throwing codes. Its designed to make sure the cats are reducing emissions, and therefore are restricting flow and reducing hp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Performance Modifications > Bolt On's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode