Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Hurst line lock install w/ video

17K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  Pector55 
#1 ·

I'm not hot on burning my tires for effect. I put the line lock on so I can heat up my drag radials at the drag strip with a proper burn out.

The hardest part of this install was screwing in the Hurst brake line bolt into the MCU. It kept wanting to misthread. At one point, I thought I was up the creek without a paddle. Then, I unscrewed the line from the Hurst solenoid and was able to keep the angle straight up and down and screw it in straight. Then had to use some muscle to get the line back into the Hurst solenoid and screwed in.

I only bled the front brakes even though it said to do all 4. Road tested afterwards and was fine.

I should modify the video to show the result: burn out. I did one already to make sure it worked, should have taken video.

Reactions: speakeazy
#3 ·
I'll post a video of it soon. The operation is simple, though.

1. Push and hold the slip control button until the ESP deactivated comes on, about 7 seconds. This is important, don't forget this.

2. Depress clutch and put her in gear (1st or 2nd), depress brake hard.

3. Flip with switch to arm, the button lights up when it's armed.

4. Press and hold the line lock button.

5. Still holding the button, release the brake. Front brakes are still engaged at this point, but not the back.

6. Now release the clutch normally while applying gas like you normally would to go forward from a stop. Since the front wheels are line locked, the back tires will spin.

7. Moderate gas to keep tires spinning at your desired rate. Smoke will pour out from burning rubber.

8. Release button to release front brakes and burn out will continue as you roll forward.

9. Release gas, depress clutch and brake to come to a stop.

I prefer 2nd gear, because you get the tires spinning faster for bigger affect.

If you have an automatic, line lock is still good, so you're not wearing down your rear brakes while doing burn outs.

Reactions: ChrisNTN
#4 ·
great job ...................

#6 ·
Thanks for this post. I'm looking at buying these Hurst line locks for my RT auto. I'll refer back to this video when I get ready to do this.

Did you get them from Speedlogix?

#8 ·
no video of the burn out ..... hmph ... it must not work .... lol

#9 · (Edited)
I had a Hurst Roll Control on my ProStreet'd Demon, they (Hurst) make a nice button that fits on the side of the shifter stick, you can just reach down with your thumb to lock the selonoid. May want to look into that as it's a bit easier to use.

Great vids!

http://www.hurst-shifters.com/?wpsc-product=rollcontrol-switch

Reactions: sick'r bee
#11 ·
Awesome video...:headbang2: I was just thinking when I bought this car (a month ago) Im going to need some line locks, crazy standing on Brembo brakes and the gas at the same time rrrrr.....:bash:... glad to see Hurst on top of this and has a complete kit specific to a late challenger SRT8...

#13 ·
If you do not defeat the ESP it will put the rear brakes on. In the past you could only fully defeat ESP in the SRT8 and the STP RT's, not sure if you can do it in all RT's now, or not.

#14 ·
No need to depress ESP as soon as you Activate line lock and it will throw a abs light as its not working , a simple restart will reset. also you can release the The switch and roll out, and lift on gas.

#15 ·
So.....I installed the Hurst line lock in my 2009 RT and then traded my RT for a 2011 SRT about a month later. The dealer gave me a check for the cost of a new line lock so that I wouldn't remove the one off my RT.

So here I am again about to install another line lock on my SRT...... Thanks for the helpful video...... :SM030:......:lol:..... :5:

#16 ·
I installed the line locks in a different location. Just to the right of the trunk release and a little lower............. Here's the pic

IMG_0630-001 by vichris08, on Flickr

#17 ·
looks good vichris .... how does it work

#18 ·
#20 ·
Your vid is awesome. Took me a good 4 hours but I wanted to take3 my time.

My question is. Even though its working fine whenever I flip the black engage switch the red button kinda flickers randomly and isn't consistent. Still locks the front brakes but maybe the wiring is off when I installed. I know it didn't work at first but swapped the lines over on the activation switch and then the button lit. So im having issues with the red button staying lit...

#21 ·
Old thread but I just ordered mine today.

#22 ·
Yup....... a pretty old thread but a really good one with great info
on the install and operation......a must have if you plan on doing any drag racing........:5:

#24 ·

My last car was FWD so I could simply use the parking brake. lol

#25 ·
I dont see why not? I would give Speedlogix a call and verify or see if they make one that works on the 2015-2016.

#28 ·
If you want line lock, I might suggest looking at the Tazer. Works pretty good and very simple. May not work as well, but all you do is plug it into the ODBII port and turn it on with the steering wheel buttons.
http://www.zautotech.com/tazer.html

found this video

#29 ·
If you want line lock, I might suggest looking at the Tazer. Works pretty good and very simple. May not work as well, but all you do is plug it into the ODBII port and turn it on with the steering wheel buttons.
http://www.zautotech.com/tazer.html
My buddy has that but I need the ODBII port for scanning at the track.

#30 ·
You could add an ODBII "Y" connector. I haven't done this, and I'm not certain how it fit under dash on our cars, but something to look at.

#31 ·
I got to the install yesterday. The only thing that stinks is that I have a fender mount catch can so I'll need to make adjustments there. They both use the same spots for the install. I am going to make an extension bracket to put my catch can above the solenoid.

Here is where I installed my switches.

https://youtu.be/c6dc0ooumpA

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.