Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Intake Options

5K views 33 replies 16 participants last post by  QuickSilverR/T 
#1 ·
Just got my 2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus and first addition was going to be the cold air intake. I usually go K&N but a friend of mine was putting me on to the Mopar. Don't know too much about it but was just curious if the Mopar was a much better intake?

I'm open to other options so if you guys got any suggestions that'd help out

#17 ·
Update:

So I've noticed after adding the Mopar Intake my avg mpg went from 14.8 to 16.0 with more frequent pedal usage since I just past the 300 mile break in mark.

Also I've noticed a 5-10 degree differential on the Intake temp vs outside air. Noticeable throttle response and most importantly it looks good.

Hoping I can get the avg up to 17mpg, not counting on it tho

All in all pretty pricey but I'm happy with the upgrade

#20 · (Edited)
i'm getting almost 23mpg on the way to work with my new '15 R/T 22.6 mpg this morning. no mods at all yet, only a scat pack spoiler in the back so i could have a backup camera. i have 750 miles on the car so far. 5.7hemi.

my commute is partial highway, and a bit of stop and go, and a bit of city. the highway part i drive 72 to 75mph.
you must have a real heavy foot, or you are stopping at a lot of red lights. somethin aint right, you are hoping for 17mpg?

i am running 92 octane premium, not sure if it would make that big of a difference though

#23 ·
That's crazy you're getting that much mpg! I'm not sure I've ever seen my average hit the 20 mark. Probably due to this crazy LA traffic... stop n go the whole way to work. I have a somewhat heavy foot but not constant flooring.

I don't use 91, I use the recommended 89 octane

#24 ·
I don't think any CAI without a tune really adds much. Maybe 3-5 if that. For a CAI to work right you really need a ported 85mm or 87mm TB paired to a ported intake manifold so everything works together. A CAI by itself doesn't do a whole lot other than slighly cooler temps and having a whooshing sound on throttle presses.

#25 ·
What would be really great is if someone could combine this with the lower half of the Hellcat air box for the fog-light intake effect. Best of both worlds!

#26 ·
The HP difference between the stock, mopar and LMI is small. The difference is the heat dissipation as previously mentioned.

When at cruising speeds, my intake temps are exactly at ambient temps.

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f18/lmi-fender-pull-v2-temp-averages-102139/

The biggest difference is heat soak recovery.

With the cat back, TB, intake and 91 canned tune on 93 fuel I could get 30mpg highway in my 13 RT.

#27 ·
Thanks for the feedback Charlene.. That's about what I figured.. The bad thing is not a lot of places are willing to say that the 2014 392 parts work on 2015. Most say - should work..

Charlene - Did you add the larger TB. I believe the 2015 SRT392 has an 80MM TB - so do you actually thing there is enough noticeable performance difference adding the 85/87mm TB and CAI?

#28 ·
I have not added the 87mm throttle body that I've wanted to add quite yet. That will happen early next year once I also send in my intake manifold to get it ported. There will definately be a noticable difference once all that is done. Ported intake manifold is worth 15rwhp from the info I have gathered. Paired with a ported 87mm and the current LMI CAI that I have should give a solid 20-25 rwhp.

#29 ·
Lots of options, Hard tubes offer better HP

Just got my 2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus and first addition was going to be the cold air intake. I usually go K&N but a friend of mine was putting me on to the Mopar. Don't know too much about it but was just curious if the Mopar was a much better intake?

I'm open to other options so if you guys got any suggestions that'd help out
As always, LOTS of opinions on the subject. I researched for days before I decided on my Hard tube K & N system. Aluminum or metal plated tubes heat up with the engine, hard plastic do not. My opinion is why draw in that cold air just to run it through a hot tube. My K & N made such a difference my wife asked if I had done something to the car the first time she drove it. So, completely up to you. As you can see, polished would have looked nice, but I went with the hard plastic instead.

#32 ·
The LMI cold air intake looks more like a ram air intake. I do not see a box that would isolate the hot engine air from the air filter. am i missing something ? Would jst keeping the original box and change the air filter to a k&n do the same as far as lowering the temps.

#34 ·
The stock air box is pretty efficient and keeps the temps close to ambient. It already pulls from the fender and is a pretty good design. I just installed a better filter and I'm happy with it. I would save the money and put it towards something that will make an improvement. A CAI looks and sounds good but if you're going for performance gains it's not worth it IMO. Good luck with whatever you decide!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.