Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Which LMI intake?

8K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  DarkKnightV8 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone. I am looking into getting an intake for my 15' RT and I've narrowed it down to the LMI but I don't know which one to get. Do you guys have a preference over a certain one? I have the headlight air cap open so I'm thinking of getting the screen to go over the headlight hole.
http://dipsprod.weebly.com/dips-screens.html

• Air Hammer

• FrankenTake 4

• Short Ram CAI

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
Unless your choice is strictly for cosmetic reasons and not really performance, (which is equally valid, I just dont know which is more important for you) None of these are actually a true "cold air intake" when they pull hot/warm ambient air from within the engine bay.
You would be far better to utilize the Mopar Hellcat box and headlight tube if your going for the few HP that such mods can provide.
This is the only true CAI system and is considerably less $$ than others, that do little to anything beneficial. Mopar SRT designers place the bump from the hellcat box, in the sub 2 digit range, meaning 8-9HP.
That is the general consensus among users as well. In truth one will never get much more out of any CAI then that, but several have been noted to actually rob HP and this again is related to pulling hot air from in or around the engine and not actual cold air from outside the car.
Myself and many others have been running Genpartsco DIPS screens as well and are very happy with them. I use two of them to have both headlights open yet protected. This has resulted in lower underhood temps and much faster temp reduction overall. Heat can kill the Hemis power output, so anything that helps negate that is a welcome mod IMHO.
Hemi4us

#3 ·
You're not gonna get 8-9 hps with the hellcat CAI mod. It was designed for the hellcat. The SC sucks the air in. The smoke tests show that no air actually hits that part of the car for it to get air. If you're locking for hp gains, any of the LMI CAIs will get you more than the hellcat CAI mod. Once the car starts moving all the hot air from the engine exits from the rear.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#5 ·
You're not gonna get 8-9 hps with the hellcat CAI mod. It was designed for the hellcat. The SC sucks the air in. The smoke tests show that no air actually hits that part of the car for it to get air. If you're locking for hp gains, any of the LMI CAIs will get you more than the hellcat CAI mod. Once the car starts moving all the hot air from the engine exits from the rear.

Don't all engines "sucks the air in"? Granted, not nearly as much as a supercharger, but the intake pulls in air via suction. This means the extra air from the headlight inlet, along with the bigger airbox, should provide some benefit. I doubt any intake will give 8-9 hp since the stock setup is already basically a CAI setup, but if you're going to dismiss the hellcat intake then the same applies to any other intake, including LMI.

#4 ·
What you want, for a true cold air intake is a fender pull design. If you do a search you can find information on it.

I have one..a Mopar Long Ram CAI.

They are more of a PITA to install and if you live in a wet area with frequent deep puddles they are not for you, but other than that, they work as designed.

The filter is low down behind the front bumper, tucked closes to the fender, but above the front belly pan.

You also have to move the IAT sensor but my kit from Mpoar included an extended harness.

These systems work, end of story.

#8 ·
You can't use the Hellcat airbox (with headlight inlet) on a Charger, so that's not even an option for them. So the best option for them would be the LMI fender cai.

For the 2015's, the fastest Challengers are using the Hellcat airbox. These cars are running 11's with just HC intake, drag radials, and optional tune. The HC intake has pretty much proven itself a viable alternative to the more expensive intakes.

#11 ·
Always an "interesting" conversation when it comes to CAI's.

I understand "smoke testing" and have seen quite a few. It appears that at a certain speed, the car pushes, and forces air up and over, around the sides, and down towards the bottom of the car, depending on where the "smoke" is placed.

What I don't understand is the comment that "no air" gets to that part of the front of the car? At what speed does this happen?

Guess that I'm a dumbass, but during warm weather, I get bugs everywhere on the front of my car. If air doesn't hit those spots on the front, how in the heck do I end up with all sizes of bugs there?

I don't get it.

#14 ·
John if you're referring to my post, let me clarify it. I probably shouldn't have said " no air", maybe not enough air. :)

No, I've heard this statement many of times, by several folks. I guess that the smoke tests that I've seen have been at a "high" speed, showing the aero of the car, but most never say "what speed"!

I never intended, or even hoped for a HP bump with the HC mod. I was just hoping that a little cooler air could enter the air box, and with the HC element, at least in my mind, figured that if there was any restriction with the stock filter, that this would also eliminate that possibility too.

It would be interesting to see a smoke test from a standstill, and slowly up to various speeds, but I'm not holding my breath for this.:wink3:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.