Dodge Challenger Forum banner

NEED HELP on these camshaft conclusions(from another forum

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Redbull2014 
#1 ·
I think I did it. I did a bunch of research and I think I can put the VVT cams in order from mild to wild. This is based on duration of course which from my understanding increases High end and HP the most. However, it could go another way based on LSA which again based on my understanding increases low end and torque more. And also from my understanding they are opposites. When one goes up, the other goes down. * I could only find Arrington's pre-phaser numbers which put it just above stock 5.7 *
In order of high end HP: duration.
5.7 stock: 186-187/205 Dur 114-115 LSA 499/486 Valve
Baby Spartan: 204/208 Dur 115 LSA 531/545 Valve
Crazy Jay: 208/210 Dur 115 LSA 545/560 Valve
Spartan: 212/216 Dur 115 LSA 560/560 Valve
Stock 392: 215/221 Dur 121 LSA 582/549 Valve
CC266: 218/226 Dur 114 LSA 612/605 Valve
CC270: 222/230 Dur 115 LSA 615/609 Valve
CC274: 226/234 Dur 116 LSA 619/612 Valve

The stat that sticks out the most to me is that all but one of the cams other then the 392 have a LSA either 14 or 15. The biggest one from Comp Cams has a 16. The 392 is 121! This has to mean something. Based on my above assumptions and understanding, the 392 cam wont give me as much hp but it will give me more tq then I'll know what to do with! Which could be lots of fun on the street where I do most of my driving.
So it seems to me that if you want HP, go with the comp cam 274 and hope you can tune it and it doesn't break anything. If you want torque, the 392 cam is your bet bet, but the cc274 also has the 2nd best potential for torque.
*Disclaimer: Keep in mind this is an uneducated point of view.* Correct me if I am wrong please.

Does this guy have it dialed in? For instance, I heard that the 392 cam robs low end torque. According to this guy the 121 LSA should be a torque monster-I've read it's all upper RPM HP. Help Needed!

See less See more
#2 ·
All those cams suck........Modern Muscle makes the best cams for our cars and are easier to tune.

Reactions: Modern Muscle
#3 ·
Quest still stands

You may very well be right! They are one hell of a corporate citizen to the forum. How about I frame it like this: you got a custom grind for your MM blower cam. You had to make decisions on specs. I assume you wanted to understand how the specs affected the performance of the cam.
I could give a **** about the cams. Are his assumptions ABOUT cams accurate. THEN, I could have an educated discussion with MM on designing MY cam.

#4 ·
You may very well be right! They are one hell of a corporate citizen to the forum. How about I frame it like this: you got a custom grind for your MM blower cam. You had to make decisions on specs. I assume you wanted to understand how the specs affected the performance of the cam.
I could give a **** about the cams. Are his assumptions ABOUT cams accurate. THEN, I could have an educated discussion with MM on designing MY cam.

If I were you I'd just give Chris or Dave from Modern Muscle a call and explain to them your overall goal with your Challenger. These guys really know their stuff with the modern Hemi's and will design the right cam for your needs. :thumbsup:

Reactions: shaker0378
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.