Oil catch can - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

Bolt On's Anything related to the quick Bolt-On mods. From Intakes to Exhausts. This includes Cams and Heads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Oil catch can

This is how much oil was in my catch can after 5K miles, looks like a few ounces. Proves it works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	catch can oil.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	267.8 KB
ID:	757113  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2015 R/T Scat Pack 6.4, M6, Granite Crystal Metallic. Clutch valve delay delete, skip shift eliminator. HC lower air box. Catch Can. Drake fuel door. Mopar strut tower brace. Rear resonator delete.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 06:05 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 2,445 Times in 1,498 Posts
They are great to have, check it every few thousand so there is no chance of it sucking liquid in. At 1500 miles I have an inch at least in the cup.

As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is
impossible- but pissing everyone off, is a piece of cake.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 06:26 PM

Garage
900 miles worth
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1401.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	426.4 KB
ID:	757201  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

El Paso Bob

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 09:44 PM

Garage
I checked mine after around 350kms; cannot wait to see what happens at 5000 kms.

This is off my 16 RT.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 12:11 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

approximately 2K miles worth:

Name:	WP_20170107_23_57_51_Pro (2).jpg
Views:	52
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	757361

Name:	WP_20170107_23_58_22_Pro (2).jpg
Views:	48
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	757369

Name:	WP_20170107_23_58_58_Pro (2).jpg
Views:	41
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	757377
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 09:32 PM

So, I posted awhile back about how I was looking into getting one of these and then I read that people were getting warranties voided and having VIN's flagged for even the slightest changes...kinda made me nervous so I stopped and didn't buy one. Any clarification on this?
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 10:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyswiz View Post
So, I posted awhile back about how I was looking into getting one of these and then I read that people were getting warranties voided and having VIN's flagged for even the slightest changes...kinda made me nervous so I stopped and didn't buy one. Any clarification on this?

I took my car in for the first oil change to synthetic at the dealer at 2k. I brought in my Speedlogix catch can, showed it to the service manager and asked if there were any warranty problems running a catch can, he told me no. There is no problem that can can cause. So I took my car home after the oil change and installed it.
There are many Challengers out there with 200k plus miles and the owners never heard of a catch can, does it make a difference, I don't know for sure, But it can't hurt
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 05:31 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,790 Times in 1,212 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElPasoBob View Post
There are many Challengers out there with 200k plus miles and the owners never heard of a catch can, does it make a difference, I don't know for sure, But it can't hurt
The absence of a catch can will not damage your engine. The issue is engine efficiency. It prevents a build up of oil residue that can result in a loss of power to your engine, over time, due to PCM-pulled timing.

During normal operation, a small amount of that ignited air/fuel mixture leaks past the piston rings and ends up in the crankcase. This leakage is called “blow-by” (leakage past the piston rings), as well as oil mist. Some of the oil mist and other products settle along the engine intake and over time form a “gunk.”

The oil catch can collects the oil mist and condenses the fuel vapors while allowing “cleaner” gases to be passed back into the intake. The OEM system does a great job of meeting emission standards and removing the harmful contaminants, but the unintended consequences are the oil that is drawn into the intake charge. For an engine to produce the maximum amount of energy per explosion (of the A/F in the combustion chamber) you want air & fuel only- any amount of oil in this mix will hamper the explosion resulting in less energy released, detonation, and carbon buildup.

Trapping and removing this oil before it gets into the combustion chamber is the only solution to maintain maximum engine efficiency and prevent excessive carbon buildup. (Note- This is especially critical on turbo cars).

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElPasoBob View Post
I took my car in for the first oil change to synthetic at the dealer at 2k. I brought in my Speedlogix catch can, showed it to the service manager and asked if there were any warranty problems running a catch can, he told me no. There is no problem that can can cause. So I took my car home after the oil change and installed it.

Do we know what the oil from the factory is? Are you saying its not synthetic and probably some sort of "break in" oil? Almost to 2k miles now and was plannin one getting that initial batch of oil and metal shavings removed around then as well.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,790 Times in 1,212 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckostner View Post
Do we know what the oil from the factory is? Are you saying its not synthetic and probably some sort of "break in" oil? Almost to 2k miles now and was planning one getting that initial batch of oil and metal shavings removed around then as well.
"Special break in oil" is a myth. The 6.2 and 6.4 SRTs come from the factory with with full synthetic Pennzoil Ultra 0-40W. Previously, Mobil 1 0W40 was recommended for the 6.1. The 5.7s come with standard 5W20 "dino" oil (because of MDS).

Just do the initial oil change somewhere between 500 and 1,500 miles, using a quality oil with the correct viscosity for your engine. That's the time when most manufacturers recommend that the car first be serviced. And even if your manufacturer doesn't recommend an oil change then, it's a good idea to do it anyway since tiny metal particles can come off the inside of the engine during break-in. Although these particles may be so small that you can't even see them, they can be abrasive and destructive when they're circulated through the engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Performance Modifications > Bolt On's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode