Oil catch can - Page 2 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

Bolt On's Anything related to the quick Bolt-On mods. This includes cams, heads, catch cans, shifters, T-stats, coils, injectors, strut braces, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 07:21 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyswiz View Post
So, I posted awhile back about how I was looking into getting one of these and then I read that people were getting warranties voided and having VIN's flagged for even the slightest changes...kinda made me nervous so I stopped and didn't buy one. Any clarification on this?
IMO, that sort of behavior by the dealer's service dept. should only be considered as a 'con' when evaluating the pros vs cons of any modifications to the car, not the catch can in particular.

In other words, the service department that is willing to treat their customer that badly because of a catch can is likely to treat them just as badly for any modification. They are an exception and not the rule when it comes to service departments in my experience, and you shouldn't be deterred from installing a catch can for fear of that treatment because if you run into that one bad apple, they'll gig you for something else you've done even if you don't have CC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda340 View Post
The absence of a catch can will not damage your engine. The issue is engine efficiency. It prevents a build up of oil residue that can result in a loss of power to your engine, over time, due to PCM-pulled timing.

During normal operation, a small amount of that ignited air/fuel mixture leaks past the piston rings and ends up in the crankcase. This leakage is called “blow-by” (leakage past the piston rings), as well as oil mist. Some of the oil mist and other products settle along the engine intake and over time form a “gunk.”

The oil catch can collects the oil mist and condenses the fuel vapors while allowing “cleaner” gases to be passed back into the intake. The OEM system does a great job of meeting emission standards and removing the harmful contaminants, but the unintended consequences are the oil that is drawn into the intake charge. For an engine to produce the maximum amount of energy per explosion (of the A/F in the combustion chamber) you want air & fuel only- any amount of oil in this mix will hamper the explosion resulting in less energy released, detonation, and carbon buildup.

Trapping and removing this oil before it gets into the combustion chamber is the only solution to maintain maximum engine efficiency and prevent excessive carbon buildup. (Note- This is especially critical on turbo cars).
Great explanation Cuda!
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:23 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesrtclassic View Post
Great explanation Cuda!
Yes, that was a very good synopsis of the most common use-case scenario for the CC, but he neglected to go into detail about another, just as important IMO, reason for running with a CC - they prevent having to pay for PEEs (Paranormal Entity Extractions)!

Let's say you're drag racing within earshot of a cemetery, and earlier that day there was a burial of an old gear-head from way back. Well once his ghost hears all that noise and smells the burning rubber, he's gonna waft over to take a look. Then BAM, he ventures a little too close and gets sucked into one of the car's engines as it's making a run down the track. Now what?

Well, the normal fix for that problem is to pay the local mechanic to perform a PEE by tearing down the engine and manually extracting that old gear-head's ghost with whatever fancy machine they use to do such tasks. But I've heard that can run north of $2K on some cars, depending upon how stubbornly entrenched the ghost is and intent on staying put.

But by running a CC, you can avoid that hassle and expense. As the ghost circulates through the running engine, doing whatever it is they do inside there, they'll eventually end up in the CCV system and get sucked through the PCV line and into the catch can, where they will be trapped until you can empty out the can and set them free.

I don't know about you, but I don't have an extra $2K laying around to be paying for PEEs, so I'll be running the CC on all my cars instead!

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,921 Times in 1,300 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
Yes, that was a very good synopsis of the most common use-case scenario for the CC, but he neglected to go into detail about another, just as important IMO, reason for running with a CC - they prevent having to pay for PEEs (Paranormal Entity Extractions)! Let's say you're drag racing within earshot of a cemetery, and earlier that day there was a burial of an old gear-head from way back. Well once his ghost hears all that noise and smells the burning rubber, he's gonna waft over to take a look. Then BAM, he ventures a little too close and gets sucked into one of the car's engines as it's making a run down the track. Now what? Well, the normal fix for that problem is to pay the local mechanic to perform a PEE by tearing down the engine and manually extracting that old gear-head's ghost with whatever fancy machine they use to do such tasks. But I've heard that can run north of $2K on some cars, depending upon how stubbornly entrenched the ghost is and intent on staying put. But by running a CC, you can avoid that hassle and expense. As the ghost circulates through the running engine, doing whatever it is they do inside there, they'll eventually end up in the CCV system and get sucked through the PCV line and into the catch can, where they will be trapped until you can empty out the can and set them free.
Do you mean something similar to what happened to this poor girl?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cuda340 For This Useful Post:
Nuke (01-09-2017)
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 01:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda340 View Post
Do you mean something similar to what happened to this poor girl?
Yep, as long as he's running CC, extracting her from the engine should be a breeze!

Although I do hope his CC bowl is of the extra-capacity type, cause based on the size of those sweater kittens, she'll need all the room she can get!
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 06:46 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Just did another oil change yesterday, I do a lot of LA Driving (stop and go) and my Catch Can was full, yes full... aaarrrgghh. Not sure how long it's been full but I wanted to kick myself in the ass for letting it get to this point.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 SXT Plus - Blue Bella
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 09:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeSimoni View Post
Just did another oil change yesterday, I do a lot of LA Driving (stop and go) and my Catch Can was full, yes full... aaarrrgghh. Not sure how long it's been full but I wanted to kick my self in the ass for letting it get to this point.
I would think that letting it get full to where it's pulling liquid oil is a lot worse than not having a can at all. I'd be pissed at me to
How many miles did it take to fill it up with oil?

El Paso Bob
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:45 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElPasoBob View Post
I would think that letting it get full to where it's pulling liquid oil is a lot worse than not having a can at all. I'd be pissed at me to
How many miles did it take to fill it up with oil?
I am running Amsoil full synthetic. The car is having it's first birthday soon and I just turned 20k miles. I changed the Amsoil last time at about 12k miles and I checked the catch can then and again at about 14k miles. So it had about 6k miles on it. Im going to add it to to my monthly todo.
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 04:46 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,921 Times in 1,300 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeSimoni View Post
Just did another oil change yesterday, I do a lot of LA Driving (stop and go) and my Catch Can was full, yes full... aaarrrgghh. Not sure how long it's been full but I wanted to kick myself in the ass for letting it get to this point.
Besides the cost, the maintenance factor is one of the main reasons why car manufacturers don't install catch cans. It's easier just to burn the oil.
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 05:03 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
Yep, as long as he's running CC, extracting her from the engine should be a breeze!

Although I do hope his CC bowl is of the extra-capacity type, cause based on the size of those sweater kittens, she'll need all the room she can get!

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Performance Modifications > Bolt On's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode